49er Rivalry Dead

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mrt144":2dyuzzci said:
Hawkpower":2dyuzzci said:
If it truly is a rivalry, it doesnt come and go. True rivalries are always intense, regardless of the circumstances.

SF-Seattle from the past few years was a product of two top teams fighting for NFC supremacy. They happened to be fairly close in proximity (as close as teams can get to boondock Seattle) so it ramped up a bit. Plus you had Seattle's new-super annoying bandwagon fans clashing with SF's just flat out brash arrogance and its a recipe for disaster.

I think the potential is there for a true rivalry to develop, but the mere fact that this thread exists is proof that it isnt there yet.

Michigan and Ohio State.....Boston-New York........Alabama-Auburn......these questions don't need to be asked.

To be fair the OSU UM rivalry wasn't very interesting aftet 2007

On the field, yeah.

The fans? Lots of hate there still in Ohio and Michigan.

Vintage Seahawk fans like me still have our "hate" and "rivalry" feelings for the Raiders and Broncos. SF? I guess.

I mean some of their fan base is pretty trashy (although we have our own issues) but it seems like hating the niners was just something cool to do on facebook and message boards more than anything else.

I never viewed them any differently than I do AZ or the Rams. Division foe, and one that was a threat to us for a bit.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
EastCoastNinerFan":1vgu7fi9 said:
As a Niner fan I'll agree that it's dead...maybe, just maybe it may get renewed in 6-10 years but we have major problems. These past few years have been awesome though. The Carroll/Harbaugh years were great. The USC/Stanford rivalry transitioned into the NFL. Both defensives were great, similar QB styles, Lynch/Gore, no star receivers, etc. And while you guys always seem to one up us, it was definitely a great and heated rivalry. Players didn't like each other, fans didn't like each other. You called us whiners, we called you bandwagon fans, blah blah blah. Heck, we even seemed to sign each others players whenever they were released, or at least it sure felt like it.

But last night was just weird. Yeah, we got dominated yet again...but it just didn't feel like the same when comparing it to the times you guys whooped us up in Seattle (or Thanksgiving). Players seemed friendly and everything. I used to watch our games against "the hated Hawks" because the rivalry was just so intense. And while I obviously still watched the game with great passion last night. It was more like just hoping/praying that maybe, just maybe, if we could beat our old foes, we could avoid a lost season. But the better team won. We both entered the game 2-4, but were not equals by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sure moving forward you all will still enjoy the future blowouts because who doesn't love to see their team win big. Especially against a rival, or at least a division opponent. Heck when we come up to Seattle in a couple of weeks ya'll will probably treat it like a bye week and rest some veterans or guys that are a little banged up. And the sad thing is you'll still cover the spread, and it will be a big one too. Vegas is no dummy.

It's weird cause I wanna blame Kap, or blame the OLine, or the receivers or defense. Maybe the scheme, perhaps our coaches but I don't think it's really their fought. Sure, they're all "to blame" for a loss. But this is the NFL we're talking about. The best professional athletes in sports. I don't think we're a player a way or even 10 players away. We got problems. Keep Kap, drop 'em, trade him of a 7th...hell, give us Aaron Rodgers, the Denver defense, the Cowboys OLINE and Atlantas receivers and I still have my doubts...well, maybe not with all that, haha.

Best of luck to you guys for the remainder of the season, represent the NFCW proudly. Beat them Cards and get loud and take back your title from KC for the noise record.

Just glad Frank Gore isn't around to see this mess.

Great and classy first post. Welcome to .Net.