49er Rivalry Dead

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":8krl3lmb said:
It was fun while it lasted. Kinda like sending the Rams to wander in the desert 10 years ago. Hoping Arizona is next.

The Cardinals have existed since the 40s or something and never won accept early on and the ons shot loss recently.The Rams have been good multiple times since the 30s.
The Seahawks have only been around since the 70s and had one great run now including the loss to Pitt.
In other words you have no idea what you are saying.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
Rivalry? You don't talk about something being a rivalry until it's been around 20 years and keeps going. This has been a trendy 5 year match up with the Seahawks only recently being good while the niners go up and down 5he success ladder.

Laloosh

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":33cnhvmp said:
lvnginhwktwn":33cnhvmp said:
Rob12":33cnhvmp said:
lvnginhwktwn":33cnhvmp said:
You guys won tonight, but face it going to be a while before either team is a threat again. The only rivalry now between us is the competition between our two QB'S, each trying to be the one with the most sacks. Sad really.

This right here is BS.

Seahawks have had fourth quarter leads in all of their four losses. The roster is as stacked as ever. Once the fourth quarter problems get solved, this team can and will beat anyone. To say they're not a threat is you simply being dishonest because you hate the Seahawks.

They've been garbage at finishing teams off. I think that's a fixable issue and it's not a question of talent like it is with the 49ers.

Call it what you want but if you think solving a couple of issues is going to turn it around then you're are truly in denial. Every week the average number of sacks increases, after week 7 6.28 sacks per game over 50 hits. You're are dreaming if you think your QB can stay healthy at that rate.

Our team sucks this year we all knew they would, but you guys talked and talked about how good you guys were going to be and all the off season issues we had and how immune to all that you guys are.

All kidding aside, If you guys make the playoffs with RW still upright I'll will be shocked.

This is a fair point. The key this year is Russell Wilson because this is his team. Kam is no longer their leader and we will see if he progresses. I thought his performance was less than mediocre. The score should have been 35-3; your team is lousy this year. I scratch my head as to why your front office couldn't make it work with Harbaugh but maybe he IS too difficult. If our Oline and QB play is better than we are a threat but right now I don't see it.

Hawk Fans, Russell cannot take a beating like this and continue forever. This point is spot on...

Oh-Boy-Here-We-Go-Jim-Carrey-Reaction-In-Me-Myself-Irene.gif

Mick063

Reaction score
You have to go back awhile to see a Niner team lay down as bad as they did Thursday night. I have never seen a Niner team quit so early in a home game.

Perhaps Seattle is in decline, but look at who they lost to and how they lost. I would call the decline marginal relative to the complete collapse of the San Francisco franchise. The difference in ownership, management, and coaching is vast.

The truth is that the wheels have completely fallen off the cart in San Francisco and it may take a decade or more to get back to relevant level. The wishful thinking for Niner fans is that Seattle is on the same trajectory.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not dead, just dormant at the moment.

edogg23

Reaction score
I have never seen a team have so much fun losing. The 49ers players didn't seem the least bit concerned with the loss, they were all smiles after the game hanging out with the seahawks. If I was a 49ers fan I would be sick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":43fq1ssa said:
Rivalry? You don't talk about something being a rivalry until it's been around 20 years and keeps going. This has been a trendy 5 year match up with the Seahawks only recently being good while the niners go up and down 5he success ladder.

I didn't know there was an arbitrary time frame on what constitutes a sports rivalry.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3m41tfng said:
Rob12":3m41tfng said:
lvnginhwktwn":3m41tfng said:
You guys won tonight, but face it going to be a while before either team is a threat again. The only rivalry now between us is the competition between our two QB'S, each trying to be the one with the most sacks. Sad really.

This right here is BS.

Seahawks have had fourth quarter leads in all of their four losses. The roster is as stacked as ever. Once the fourth quarter problems get solved, this team can and will beat anyone. To say they're not a threat is you simply being dishonest because you hate the Seahawks.

They've been garbage at finishing teams off. I think that's a fixable issue and it's not a question of talent like it is with the 49ers.

Call it what you want but if you think solving a couple of issues is going to turn it around then you're are truly in denial. Every week the average number of sacks increases, after week 7 6.28 sacks per game over 50 hits. You're are dreaming if you think your QB can stay healthy at that rate.

Our team sucks this year we all knew they would, but you guys talked and talked about how good you guys were going to be and all the off season issues we had and how immune to all that you guys are.

All kidding aside, If you guys make the playoffs with RW still upright I'll will be shocked.
Denial^^ LOL, speaking from the id eh?

captSE

Reaction score
I felt the 49ers were a little blase and looked disinterested.
Very glad the Hawks showed up but wonder if it was too easy..

go Hawks!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The rivalry is far from dead. That ass-stomping last night just made it more powerful--can you imagine if the niners ever get good again? COME ON, NINERS, DON"T BE SCHLUBBS! KAep is a great, slimy-ass bad-guy foil for Russell Wilson. Why aren't they letting him run anymore? They should be using him in a read-option type deal. They're shutting down what he's really dominating at, while forcing him play a style (drop-back passing) that brings his ugly deficiencies to the surface.

By the way, Niners posters in this thread, Wilson's sack numbers are inflated artificially by the fact that a certain % of the "sacks" are actually scrambles in which he does not get back to the line of scrimmage. Wilson's real sack numbers are not as bad as they look. Our o-line is getting better every game, as last night showed--Lynch's best game of the year--and has a very high learning curve to become a potentitally very athletic, strong group. We're two games behind AZ and we play them twice, ya'll. GO HAWKS!

drdiags

Reaction score
I doubt the division rivalry ever goes away. A couple years ago most 9ers fans didn't consider the Seahawks as rivals so it is subjective anyway. When the team first got to the division, it was the Rams who had the most recent success. The Seahawks caught up with them in the '04 time-frame (even though that McDonald TD and playoff loss was painful). I remember Seahawks and Rams fans talking about how the NFC West crown was between them.

Then the 9ers and Cards were putting together some heated games, with the Cards actually a finger-tip TD away from winning it all.

Now it looks like the Cards under Arians have settled into being competitive, with the 9ers hitting a rough patch. The Seahawks are in some type of funk they are working out of and the Rams look to be a functional QB away from being a very serious foe.

Jim Harbaugh's style and the 9ers hard-nosed defense made them what they were after booting Mike Singletary. To me, the NFC West could be as competitive as the AFC North has become since Cincy stopped being the Bungles. And now that Cleveland is showing sparks that division top to bottom has no clear-cut winner from season to season.

I would imagine the NFC West can be that division for the NFC side of the conference. It used to be the NFC East, but they have had issues the past few seasons and most likely will return to that but it will take time. NFC North right now is just the Packers since the Lions have tanked, though the Vikings are trending up. The NFC South looks to be the Panthers with the Falcons having to prove their start is for real. Saints are puzzling and Tampa is re-building.

Sorry for getting long-winded and meandering, just some thoughts on the idea of a rivalry and where I think the NFC West stands in the NFL landscape.

TLDR; not dead just not as heated for now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2g48xuql said:
What rivalry? 6-1 in the last 7 games. Kap has won once against the Hawks all time.

And it took Gore popping a big run with a blatant hold to do so.

This rivalry is dead. I would say AZ-Seattle has some potential though.

All the villains on this team that made it a real fun rivalry are going to be gone come 2016. Harbaugh is in Michigan. That feared defense is long gone. Kaepernick won't be on the roster.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":wzc5dv7j said:
imnKOgnito":wzc5dv7j said:
It was fun while it lasted. Kinda like sending the Rams to wander in the desert 10 years ago. Hoping Arizona is next.

The Cardinals have existed since the 40s or something and never won accept early on and the ons shot loss recently.The Rams have been good multiple times since the 30s.
The Seahawks have only been around since the 70s and had one great run now including the loss to Pitt.
In other words you have no idea what you are saying.

Yeah, those Cleveland Rams years were memorable. Those poor Cleveland fans still feel the sting from that move to LA, and so jealous of the support the LA community gives their former team. That's the stuff rivalries are made of, right there.

And don't diss the St. Louis Cardinals. Sure, they've never been that good, but they're on the rise now.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the BIG rivalry games this year. You know... like Green Bay vs Chicago... or Pittsburgh vs the new/old/new Cleveland team, or the Cowboys vs the "name not to be spoken out loud"s. You know... Those storied rivalries that have been going on for decades. That's the stuff NFL fans love. Everything else is irrelevant.

dbmack

Reaction score
It will always be a rivalry at my house since mr dbmack and his whole family are 49er fans. The mr also roots for the Seahawks but the rest of them don't and they are downright nasty about the Seahawks. I picture them being posters at webzone. That's how bad they are.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
If it truly is a rivalry, it doesnt come and go. True rivalries are always intense, regardless of the circumstances.

SF-Seattle from the past few years was a product of two top teams fighting for NFC supremacy. They happened to be fairly close in proximity (as close as teams can get to boondock Seattle) so it ramped up a bit. Plus you had Seattle's new-super annoying bandwagon fans clashing with SF's just flat out brash arrogance and its a recipe for disaster.

I think the potential is there for a true rivalry to develop, but the mere fact that this thread exists is proof that it isnt there yet.

Michigan and Ohio State.....Boston-New York........Alabama-Auburn......these questions don't need to be asked.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2ry3mvnl said:
If it truly is a rivalry, it doesnt come and go. True rivalries are always intense, regardless of the circumstances.

SF-Seattle from the past few years was a product of two top teams fighting for NFC supremacy. They happened to be fairly close in proximity (as close as teams can get to boondock Seattle) so it ramped up a bit. Plus you had Seattle's new-super annoying bandwagon fans clashing with SF's just flat out brash arrogance and its a recipe for disaster.

I think the potential is there for a true rivalry to develop, but the mere fact that this thread exists is proof that it isnt there yet.

Michigan and Ohio State.....Boston-New York........Alabama-Auburn......these questions don't need to be asked.

To be fair the OSU UM rivalry wasn't very interesting aftet 2007

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The rivalry will never go away and if we're ever both good again at the same time it'll be fierce as ever.

And please stop feeding the troll.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3ssx0a83 said:

Please don't bring the Seahawks down to the Niners level. You just sound bitter and sadly.... desperate.

EastCoastNinerFan

Reaction score
As a Niner fan I'll agree that it's dead...maybe, just maybe it may get renewed in 6-10 years but we have major problems. These past few years have been awesome though. The Carroll/Harbaugh years were great. The USC/Stanford rivalry transitioned into the NFL. Both defensives were great, similar QB styles, Lynch/Gore, no star receivers, etc. And while you guys always seem to one up us, it was definitely a great and heated rivalry. Players didn't like each other, fans didn't like each other. You called us whiners, we called you bandwagon fans, blah blah blah. Heck, we even seemed to sign each others players whenever they were released, or at least it sure felt like it.

But last night was just weird. Yeah, we got dominated yet again...but it just didn't feel like the same when comparing it to the times you guys whooped us up in Seattle (or Thanksgiving). Players seemed friendly and everything. I used to watch our games against "the hated Hawks" because the rivalry was just so intense. And while I obviously still watched the game with great passion last night. It was more like just hoping/praying that maybe, just maybe, if we could beat our old foes, we could avoid a lost season. But the better team won. We both entered the game 2-4, but were not equals by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sure moving forward you all will still enjoy the future blowouts because who doesn't love to see their team win big. Especially against a rival, or at least a division opponent. Heck when we come up to Seattle in a couple of weeks ya'll will probably treat it like a bye week and rest some veterans or guys that are a little banged up. And the sad thing is you'll still cover the spread, and it will be a big one too. Vegas is no dummy.

It's weird cause I wanna blame Kap, or blame the OLine, or the receivers or defense. Maybe the scheme, perhaps our coaches but I don't think it's really their fought. Sure, they're all "to blame" for a loss. But this is the NFL we're talking about. The best professional athletes in sports. I don't think we're a player a way or even 10 players away. We got problems. Keep Kap, drop 'em, trade him of a 7th...hell, give us Aaron Rodgers, the Denver defense, the Cowboys OLINE and Atlantas receivers and I still have my doubts...well, maybe not with all that, haha.

Best of luck to you guys for the remainder of the season, represent the NFCW proudly. Beat them Cards and get loud and take back your title from KC for the noise record.

Just glad Frank Gore isn't around to see this mess.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":2h3h4b6n said:

Don't agree with your rules here. Early OOs Colts, Patriots was a rivalry. Baltimore, Pittburgh was pretty good for a few years. Your idea of a rivalry is like the Skins and the Cowboys or Eagles and Giants. This way of logic is boring because usually one or both of the teams suck. But they always put these games on primetime and the rest of the nation has to stomach lame football. I hate bad football.

I went to Wazzu. Until the program has a decent team I could care less about the Apple Cup. Never could understand getting excited about two awful teams playing against each other.