3rd round, Pick #97, Rees Odhiambo, T/OG, Boise State

Atradees

Reaction score
Never heard of him. Feels like we used thirds on undraftable free agents again. OK................Lets see them make the team.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yxes1122":2kq97toi said:
One thing came to mind when I watched him and it was Pete Carroll saying he doesn't see guys that fire off the ball. The first few plays I saw of him were exactly that. This entire draft has been about Physicality. Ifedi, Reed, Odhiambo are all physical lineman. Vannett is probably the best blocking TE in the draft.

Seattle did not like being picked on last year and Pete and John (for better or worse) are building this entire draft to fix that.

That's what I'm seeing with this draft. Nasty, big, mean, athletic, great work ethic, lunch pail guys. Remember a couple of years ago when NOBODY wanted to play us? We'd rip though teams like a buzz saw and win or lose, we destroyed them. Punished them. Ruined them.

Good news, folks--we're getting back to that!

McGruff

Reaction score
Rees is on the phone with the media right now.

His roommate is C Marcus Henry. Watch out for that on the third day.

Seattle says he will play guard. Has never played guard, but doesn't think it will be difficult to transition.

Came to US from Kenya in 2004. Both his parents have passed away.

Seattle has been his second home as he spend holidays in Bellevue with Henry.

Loves run blocking. Loves to get after people and move them. Takes pride in running backs having good days.

Was eating pot roast and potatoes when the Seahawks called him. Not even watching the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
Playing inside should protect his legs more and he won't be out and getting cut from blind sides.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
McGruff":w7mzm75w said:
Rees is on the phone with the media right now.

His roommate is C Marcus Henry. Watch out for that on the third day.

Seattle says he will play guard. Has never played guard, but doesn't think it will be difficult to transition.

Came to US from Kenya in 2004. Both his parents have passed away.

Seattle has been his second home as he spend holidays in Bellevue with Henry.

Loves run blocking. Loves to get after people and move them. Takes pride in running backs having good days.

Was eating pot roast and potatoes when the Seahawks called him. Not even watching the draft.

From this day forward he shall be known as Pot Roast.

cover-2

Reaction score
He may not have tested well because he is coming off a injury, broken ankle, and he really didn't have as much time to prepare for the drills.

Here is a good article on him as far as his draft stock, teams apparently gave him a 2nd round grade based on his game film...
http://www.idahopress.com/blueturfs...cle_c390efc3-9445-5a11-aef8-cbe78e58dd96.html

Odhiambo may not have long arms, but the dude is put together. He built like a coke machine, big thighs, calves, arms, and a fairly small waist for a 314 lb man.
IdOIPMe9d13ea10b950cb9423271323233a7b7o0pid15

AgentDib

Reaction score
cover-2":2r4abiyb said:
He may not have tested well because he is coming off a injury, broken ankle, and he really didn't have as much time to prepare for the drills.
Really good point actually. Looking at it now and he had less than 4 months to recover from surgery for his broken ankle for the combine and about 5 months to recover for his pro day. Tom Cable was at that pro day demonstrating they probably liked what they saw on film prior to the broken ankle.

Thursday’s pro day was important for former Broncos Darian Thompson and Rees Odhiambo. Odhiambo, who had surgery on both ankles in the offseason, said he had to re-learn how to do some things. “It all felt pretty good,” Odhiambo said. “... I feel like I did pretty good today. It’s been fun and interesting, a lot of hard work.”

CBS":2r4abiyb said:
He is quick off the snap and finishes through the whistle... light on his feet, showing the agility and balance to handle blocking space in pass protection..

Maybe not the lack of athleticism I thought at first at all. Scouting reports seem to have him as an ideal ZBS guard - if he can stay healthy.

Seafan

Reaction score
He could be like Bailey who had shorter arms too. Cable and Pete must like what they see on film and it is getting more difficult to find ready to play OL.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Sac":2ubpl5l4 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2ubpl5l4 said:
storm74":2ubpl5l4 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2ubpl5l4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/726246583298301953[/tweet]

how are you so far ahead of it sailor?

I own a time machine, remember?
You're constantly describing it though.
Your avatar.
lmao.

kearly

Reaction score
7'9" Broad Jump. 27" Vert. 23 bench press. Average Arm length. Played LT but has the frame of a guard.

Tape isn't pretty. Reminds me of John Moffitt minus Moffitt's good technique. Odhiambo struggles against the edge rush, has his arms collapse when run blocking, and is extremely bad at sticking to run blocks.

If this pick works out I'll be surprised.

jake206

Reaction score
Guy gets injured?? Not great for a Tom Cable zone scheme that relies on being durable. I really don't have high hopes for this pick. Great story... but not a good choice for this system.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
Who knows, but it doesn't seem to be a good pick. The worst thing is that he was projected 6th, 7th round. Why waste a 3rd?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick. I hope we are surprised when preseason kicks in, and the kid plays really well.

Seafan

Reaction score
They liked his brute strength. When he's healthy I believe his explosiveness will match the Hawks needs.

Since he broke his ankle they shouldn't be interested in him and should likely cut Rawls as well. Too brittle. :stirthepot:

Overseasfan

Reaction score
He's a solid pass blocker as I didn't really see him give up much in terms of hurries. His run blocking is bad though, he's completely redundant in that aspect. Way too slow to even get to the action and even when he's in the thick of it he looks a bit lost and doesn't even really block the right guys.

He could have a chance to make the roster and maybe even the starting line up as his skillset seems to match up pretty well against the bull rush type of play of guys like Donald and Short. As long as the guys beside him don't leave a lot of space open for the defenders it should be alright, I just don't see him getting pushed back 1 on 1 a lot.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe he Was picked because he already can pass block? Maybe he is just here to hold the fort until the amazing sparq man we got with our first pick can be taught to block?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is on of those picks that makes pundits scratch their heads. 5 years ago they would have labeled it stupid. Now they go watch more film.

I fully expect Pete and John to casually mention that they knew another team was going to take him soon if they didn't. They always say that about the picks that get labeled reaches.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Cable said him and ifedi were the two strongest linemen in the draft. That is a positive. Reading the scouting report, sounds like a lot of upside, and a lot of the knocks against him are technique issues that can be coached away, problems a lot of linemen coming out of the draft have. The one thing that surprised me though was when I found out he has kind of short arns, they must see a lot of potential there. Have full faith, hope britt is gone this year.