3rd and 1...

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Looking at the screen shot above both inside receivers to the right got jammed and there's someone waiting to pick up Carson in case he goes out for a pass to the left.
With what looks like a DB rushing from the bottom, the Pats were making sure they had someone athletic who could stay with Russ so running that way wasn't an option. Based on what I see on this play call I can understand why he ended up looking to Lockett. With Metcalf inside, is this the same / similar play that sealed the playoff game?

I would have probably played it conservative thinking worst thing that happens on a run is the Pats have to burn their last timeout. As far as some kind of play where Russ keeps the ball and runs, they tried that last year in a similar situation against the Rams and it was a disaster. The Rams were ready for it and led to an ill advised lateral attempt to Lockett.

Anyone on the side of going for it on 4th and 1? Some of the analytics type are all over that but I have a tough time going with that call.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1soxk075 said:
Looking at the screen shot above both inside receivers to the right got jammed and there's someone waiting to pick up Carson in case he goes out for a pass to the left.
With what looks like a DB rushing from the bottom, the Pats were making sure they had someone athletic who could stay with Russ so running that way wasn't an option. Based on what I see on this play call I can understand why he ended up looking to Lockett. With Metcalf inside, is this the same / similar play that sealed the playoff game?

If they had called a read option play the alignment would have been different and who knows if what you see in the screen cap above unfolds the same way. Collinsworth was even talking pre-snap that it might be time to let Russ get one with his legs and that you save those plays for just this point in the game.

byau

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3147l3iz said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3147l3iz said:
Yeah but teams now got to think about defending the end zone on 3rd and 1?

Excellent point

Not to mention 4th and 5 and the beauty to DK against the Falcons for the TD

Ozzy

Reaction score
I should have read through the replies but I have no problem with it. Pete said it wasn't the first read on the play so Russ took what they gave him. I hated the 4th down punt call with so many injuries on the defense and the inability to stop them all game so I would rather run it or whatever on 4th down with the unit that won the game for you but it worked out regardless.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
austinslater25":1lbqfxyr said:
I should have read through the replies but I have no problem with it. Pete said it wasn't the first read on the play so Russ took what they gave him. I hated the 4th down punt call with so many injuries on the defense and the inability to stop them all game so I would rather run it or whatever on 4th down with the unit that won the game for you but it worked out regardless.

Agreed..hawks fans have been screaming for innovation and some risk taking in these situations.

I was surprised it was incomplete to be honest.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I was a little shocked by the call, but not upset. Like someone else said, I was just as shocked that it was incomplete. The biggest risk there, to me, is that the clock stops with an incomplete pass...so there is kind of a double whammy with a pass play call.

sutz

Reaction score
austinslater25":2i92v5wn said:
Don't agree about the 4th down call. Dickson was having a pretty good game. That last punt was kinda close to our endzone to risk going for it. It worked out, like you said.

beastalamode

Reaction score
I think the big problem on this play was a bad snap to Russ's right which didnt give him a good view if there was someone coming on his blind side, he seemed to throw the ball pretty quickly. If its a good snap i think he makes a short pass or tries to scramble for the first

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2ekpttiq said:
Shanegotyou11":2ekpttiq said:
Everyone in here would be crying if we ran and got stuffed. Here would of been the comments "Let Russ cook" and "Put the ball in Russ hands",etc.

Conventional wisdom in that scenario is run. There's so much that can go wrong from throwing the ball in short yardage situations, as we all know. I don't think most of us would have been more upset had a run gotten stuffed there than a 30 yard pass falling incomplete.

You don't watch hawks twitter or this board much? Lol. If we ran and got stuffed, it would of been "fire pete." "Pete ball is so dumb". "Russ had 5 touchdowns and you run?"

LTH

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2w1zb8he said:
...from the Seahawks 31 yard line with 1:55 to go in the game. You need at least one more first down to ice the game and the Hawks coaching staff dials up a 30 yard out route to Lockett??? Carson was giving 4.2 yards a carry, so why not give him the ball instead of throwing up a risky long ball???

I was shocked at the call and was thinking that would be the thing that everyone was talking about as the reason they lost the game. Thankfully Collier and Hill had something else in mind.

That's the Hawks... Let russ cook baby LOL... they did the same thing in Atlanta or something similar... hit it your a hero miss it , Not so much but That's the Hawks Like I said before, Both those plays are ontape dont think the Niners and the Rams didn't see that... its just setting them up and I love the mind game...

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If we are happy throwing long 4th and short against Atlanta, because it worked?

We have to accept the 3rd and short against NE when it does not work.

sutz

Reaction score
The 4th and 5 throw in Atlanta was from their side of the field, around the 35 or so IIRC. Big difference from 4th and 1 from your own 31.

:Dunno: