#3 QB

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawks46":23j1gty5 said:
FlyingGreg":23j1gty5 said:
We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

M Rob gives us a luxury of having an emergency #3 QB in place.

It's not always as a backup to the backup, or emergency plan, why teams will keep a 3rd QB. Look at GB...they keep 3 QBs and Rodgers is amazingly healthy, even though he's one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

Schneider came from GB, and they like to get a guy in the draft, coach him up for a couple of years, let him tear it up in the preseason, then trade him for picks.

I agree with the rest of the comments that we have too much roster talent to burn a spot on a 3rd QB this year. If we needed draft picks, we could trade some of our younger CBs to a team that really needs one (Carolina, Jacksonville, etc.). Strangely enough, it almost seems like we really don't need a ton of draft picks, with the mid and late round success rate we've had, coupled with finding good UDFA's that can play.

Yes, but most importantly...we only kept 2 last season, even though our starter was a rookie. That says it all, IMO.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1xc8mklc said:
FlyingGreg":1xc8mklc said:
We will only keep 2, like last year. The need for a #3 QB does not trump the desire to keep a valuable member of the roster at another position, IMO. The possibility of needing a #3 QB for a portion of a game is remote compared to the contributions we might get elsewhere.

M Rob gives us a luxury of having an emergency #3 QB in place.

It's not always as a backup to the backup, or emergency plan, why teams will keep a 3rd QB. Look at GB...they keep 3 QBs and Rodgers is amazingly healthy, even though he's one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

Schneider came from GB, and they like to get a guy in the draft, coach him up for a couple of years, let him tear it up in the preseason, then trade him for picks.

I agree with the rest of the comments that we have too much roster talent to burn a spot on a 3rd QB this year. If we needed draft picks, we could trade some of our younger CBs to a team that really needs one (Carolina, Jacksonville, etc.). Strangely enough, it almost seems like we really don't need a ton of draft picks, with the mid and late round success rate we've had, coupled with finding good UDFA's that can play.

I have no doubt if somebody came up later in the draft that they really like as a developemental type, they would take him and keep as a third if he was good. Trade him as stated when shows his stuff or could take the 2nd spot. However, that is not the case this year as they obviously did not get a shot at anybody they liked so they just roll w/ the 2 and worry about that next year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Listening to Brock Huard call the game last night suddenly reminded me of who Brady Quinn reminds me of: Brock Huard. I think we will be fine with RW and TJack. I have no concerns whether or not Quinn will be available should we need to stoop that low for a QB.