2023 QB possibilitys

Chawker

Reaction score
I don't see us paying Geno 25 million a year for a QB that shows no desire to win the big games here in Seattle. We do have Lock, who has has some relevance to this situation. Lock could be a stopgap preylude so we might draft a QB later in the draft and reducing our cap hit by not over paying with Geno.

I would like to see us draft defense early on in the draft, but consider taking a Max Duggen TCU QB later in the draft, or maybe another QB in the later rounds. This would give us time to build our team right.

Would this be a plausible strategy for the Seahawks going into this season ?

Cheers

SonicHawk

Reaction score
No desire to win big games is a crazy thing to say. Let's all chill out.

Lock was the stop gap, dude didn't play a snap.

Also, Max Duggen doesn't have any desire to win big games either.

Do you not like going to the playoffs? Did it suck to think a couple weeks ago? Man, we're in the playoffs lets go!

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think Lock was considered a possible future and Geno the stop gap, at least as far as the front office goes.

Geno turned in a fantastic season and that has changed things. Remember, John liked Drew Lock coming out of college so thinking he was just a body would be short sighted. Who knows what’s going to happen.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Its doesn't have to be Duggen, just any QB that they like in rounds 4 or 5.

This would free up them to draft defensive players in the early rounds. Its just a thought.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't see us paying Geno 25 million a year for a QB that shows no desire to win the big games here in Seattle. We do have Lock, who has has some relevance to this situation. Lock could be a stopgap preylude so we might draft a QB later in the draft and reducing our cap hit by not over paying with Geno.

I would like to see us draft defense early on in the draft, but consider taking a Max Duggen TCU QB later in the draft, or maybe another QB in the later rounds. This would give us time to build our team right.

Cheers

I'm not sure how you figure that we have Lock, because like Geno, he is to be a free agent. Although they do say they want to re-sign him to back up Geno again next season, I'd say we'd be better off to go get someone in the draft to backup Geno (assuming we re-sign him) and get a jump on getting someone who can possibly earn the starting job in time. it's obvious Lock isn't going to be the long term answer, so keeping him here just puts us further behind in getting our next starting qb ready to go.

I'm not necessarily advocating for drafting a qb high in the draft, but we have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (before we trade any picks) to get the talent we need to bolster the defense. After that we could look for a quarterback who is a bit rough around the edges

KinesProf

Reaction score
No. Drew Lock and Max Duggan would not be a plausible strategy for the Seahawks going into this season.

A Washington type QB purgatory awaits if you lose Geno and/or don't draft one of the top 4 QBs in the draft. Let's leave having to watch 3 hours of subpar QB play every week where it belongs - in DC.

That's no knock on Lock who I think could be pretty good here; but the strategy heading into the season being him and a mid-round rookie? Scary.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would look at guys in Programs that do something with nothing, most not all top QB's have a college all American squad around them, give me a guy that lifts players, has good mechanics, Moxie, good numbers for where he plays, but maybe not National attention and recognition. Bring him in and actually Mentor him to get better.

Fox0r

Reaction score

Cheers
Lost me at 'no desire to win big games'. Then made me LOL at 'Max Duggan'.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Geno 2023 is the only option we have
Why is that?

The FA QB options will be plentiful and the top draft prospects look at least 4 deep with several developmental options in later rounds.

Geno is certainly AN option, but far from the only one.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many people are giving up on Lock when to my knowledge he hasn't played a snap since the final preseason game, when he had JUST gotten over Covid...I mean, he's had a whole season to learn the system and hone his skills and the only impression everyone has is from months ago...

Everyone said the same thing about Geno before this season, and I remember a lot of people saying Lock's ceiling was higher. Now that Lock has a full season under his belt in this system, I'd like to see him get the same opportunity that Geno got to show off what he's learned and if he built on his progress. I'd be willing to bet the guy probably has to be hungry for it considering his last impression left in preseason.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many people are giving up on Lock when to my knowledge he hasn't played a snap since the final preseason game, when he had JUST gotten over Covid...I mean, he's had a whole season to learn the system and hone his skills and the only impression everyone has is from months ago...

Everyone said the same thing about Geno before this season, and I remember a lot of people saying Lock's ceiling was higher. Now that Lock has a full season under his belt in this system, I'd like to see him get the same opportunity that Geno got to show off what he's learned and if he built on his progress. I'd be willing to bet the guy probably has to be hungry for it considering his last impression left in preseason.

My concern with Lock is that he'll want more than a minimum contract, and even that minimum contract would be more than a rookie deal.

Now, if we can't get Geno back, then signing Lock as an insurance policy seems more sound to me, or possibly signing him to a deal that has very little guaranteed money, so if we do get a quarterback in the draft (or Undrafted Free Agent) who can outperform him in practice, we can cut him with no real damage done.

Right now, I just don't want to see this team locked into (no pun intended) both Geno and Lock for next season and close the door on other possible opportunities.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
My concern with Lock is that he'll want more than a minimum contract, and even that minimum contract would be more than a rookie deal.

Now, if we can't get Geno back, then signing Lock as an insurance policy seems more sound to me, or possibly signing him to a deal that has very little guaranteed money, so if we do get a quarterback in the draft (or Undrafted Free Agent) who can outperform him in practice, we can cut him with no real damage done.

Right now, I just don't want to see this team locked into (no pun intended) both Geno and Lock for next season and close the door on other possible opportunities.
I can understand that, but there are a few things to consider as well. Lock hasn't shown he's worth more than vet minimum as of right now, as well as the fact that I'm not so sure he'd want to consider this past year a waste of time just to go to a different team/coach to continue stunting his growth like what happened in Denver before he got traded. I would imagine he'd want to grow here and prove all the doubters wrong in a system that's very QB friendly and he's been getting familiar with this season.

I would imagine he'd sign for vet minimum just to earn his shot.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

It‘s a risk, but I’d sign Lock to a deal ASAP.

Acts as a hedge against both losing Geno and not drafting a ready to play QB.

If I’m Lock I probably ask for a deal similar to Geno’s last year. For the team that 3.5 mil base is still only roughly half of what the #5 pick will count against cap.

QWERTY

Reaction score
It‘s a risk, but I’d sign Lock to a deal ASAP.

Acts as a hedge against both losing Geno and not drafting a ready to play QB.

If I’m Lock I probably ask for a deal similar to Geno’s last year. For the team that 3.5 mil base is still only roughly half of what the #5 pick will count against cap.
Lock won't sign a deal asap unless he knows Geno won't re-sign.

If the management went with Lock and Baker, then Lock might think he has a chance to compete again.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

If the management went with Lock and Baker, then Lock might think he has a chance to compete again.
Where is he going to find a better situation? Here he has a chance to be a starter, where else is he getting that?

Even if Geno signs, chances are he’s serving a suspension for the DUI and someone will have to start. Also, the odds of a mid-thirties QB missing games to injury aren‘t insignificant.

Lock’s goal should be maximizing starts to prove he‘s a starting QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score

Baker?Ha ha

QWERTY

Reaction score
Where is he going to find a better situation? Here he has a chance to be a starter, where else is he getting that?

Even if Geno signs, chances are he’s serving a suspension for the DUI and someone will have to start. Also, the odds of a mid-thirties QB missing games to injury aren‘t insignificant.

Lock’s goal should be maximizing starts to prove he‘s a starting QB.
Baker?Ha ha

I don't understand why people make fun of Baker, when he was with the Browns, he was an average QB. I would gladly take him and I know he's much better than Geno. Baker needs to find the right team and he can succeed.

As for Lock, he's looking to start and not play backup. There are so many teams that are looking for a QB.

I can name a lot of teams that Lock might want to try out.

Tampa
Saints
Panthers
Packers
Zona (Kyle is injured)
Rams ( When Stafford cant finish the Season)
Commanders
Giants ( Unless Jones re-signs)
Patriots
Jets
Oakland
Browns
Steelers
Texans
Colts
Titans

Yes many teams for Lock to try and compete for a starter position. All he has to do is wait for the dominoes to fall.