2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":ayjym0id said:
Thepeelsessions":ayjym0id said:
West TX Hawk":ayjym0id said:
Great win tonight. Bats came alive and put up a huge 7 spot in the 7th. Segura is now hitting .357! Cruz is at .330 and Motter had a pair of doubles to break out of his slump. I wonder if Dipoto will consider July trades for a catcher, a SP or lefty reliever?
It really was a great game. De Jong had a solid outing. Hopefully he can build on it. Who do you think could be trade chips?

I would look at seeing who may be interested in Peterson, Powell and Iwakuma. Our future OF should be Gamel, Heredia and Haniger. I wouldn't move any of those guys.

I doubt there's much of a market for Dyson on a 1 year deal but you could package him, Kuma, Powell and Peterson for a couple of arms or an arm and a solid veteran catcher with at least 3 years remaining on a contract. Vogelbach is certainly movable but his market is likely limited. As much as I like the guy and his versatility, Motter could be moved also.

It may all be wishful thinking, and there may not be much of a market for our prospects, but if we're over .500 in June and within striking distance of a WC berth in July and Smyly is healthy, you have to make a move somewhere. What are your thoughts?
I agree with Powell and Peterson. Heck, Tyler O'Neill has been a major downer in Tacoma so far. I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown into a deal as well. I'm on the fence with Dyson. This team needs that speed, but I don't think you can play him over Heredia or Gamel. Not right now at least. If he's not hitting, which he isn't doing right now, how much is his speed worth to this team? I think Motter is a valuable piece that shouldn't be moved. I see him as a future core guy for this team. Zunino and Leonys can go. Don't forget about Kyle Lewis. I'm really excited for him to be back in uniform soon.

As far as pitchers go, it doesn't seem like Jerry has a lot to play with. Unless he can pull off another Miley for Miranda trade out of thin air again, I don't see anything too exciting. My feelings for Felix are well known here. I think Jerry absolutely has to move him if given the opportunity. There's a couple intriguing starters in the farm system right now. Max Povse, Andrew Moore, and Gaviglio. I'm looking forward to see what De Jong, Bergman, and Overton can do in the next week or two. Some of those guys might have trade value, or can work there way into the rotation.

If Jerry can get an adequate catcher and starting pitcher with some of the names listed above, I'd be ecstatic.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
If this team does any trades it has to be for pitching. Our offense is the best in the AL with literally nothing out of the C spot. We can deal with that hole in the lineup. But what we can't deal with is using our 9th and 10th starter and a bull pen that was garbage before the injuries.

Nobody on the big league club will be traded. Dysons not going anywhere. He isn't hitting now, but he has proven in a time share roll he can be invaluable. He is your pinch runner in the bottom of the 9th. He will get you second base almost every time.

It really is refreshing to see young guys perform, Mitchy the kid before the injury, Motter, Gamels, Heredia all have been great. Amazing what youth can do when they aren't tasked with "saving the offense" like Montero, Smoak, Ackley, Zunino were.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2ot7t80w said:
If this team does any trades it has to be for pitching. Our offense is the best in the AL with literally nothing out of the C spot. We can deal with that hole in the lineup. But what we can't deal with is using our 9th and 10th starter and a bull pen that was garbage before the injuries.

Nobody on the big league club will be traded. Dysons not going anywhere. He isn't hitting now, but he has proven in a time share roll he can be invaluable. He is your pinch runner in the bottom of the 9th. He will get you second base almost every time.

It really is refreshing to see young guys perform, Mitchy the kid before the injury, Motter, Gamels, Heredia all have been great. Amazing what youth can do when they aren't tasked with "saving the offense" like Montero, Smoak, Ackley, Zunino were.
Those guys you say were tasked with "saving the offense".Your saying they were no good because of this?I have to disagreeThey still suck years later and were just not going to be good hitters in MLB period.It happens to most players when they get to the top level.I blame the scouts and Jack for drafting the wrong hitters besides Seager.We had great pitching and they pissed all over it
Today we have this offense but a rotation with 4 starters out and a bullpen that save for 2-3 guys I don't think I've seen this bad since 1977 to early 80's.
I think they have done pretty well considering all the injuries ect anf hope they can hang in there till these players get back

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Of the players on the current roster, Kyle Seager is the only one I believe would get the necessary components back in terms of a quality arm or two from a trade. I'm not advocating trading him but where value is concerned, he probably would bring the best value in a quality pitcher. They could put Motter, Freeman, or DJ Peterson to replace Seager at 3B. Peterson was a 3B before they switched him to 1B.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
IndyHawk":28pu945l said:
gowazzu02":28pu945l said:

Those guys you say were tasked with "saving the offense".Your saying they were no good because of this?I have to disagreeThey still suck years later and were just not going to be good hitters in MLB period.It happens to most players when they get to the top level.I blame the scouts and Jack for drafting the wrong hitters besides Seager.We had great pitching and they pissed all over it
Today we have this offense but a rotation with 4 starters out and a bullpen that save for 2-3 guys I don't think I've seen this bad since 1977 to early 80's.
I think they have done pretty well considering all the injuries ect anf hope they can hang in there till these players get back

Rushed to the big leagues, thrown into the fire. Stunts the growth, can they battle back, yes but it's a long climb back.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wow, Gamel is having a game. Good to see the M's battle back, now let get the win.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They pulled Cano with a strained quad.
I would like to see what this team could do @ full strength for a month.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
This is what having good depth and defense does, and why Dipoto deserves credit. Mottor is really good in his role and Gamel has a hell of an arm.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
10 runs, 16 hits today. The offense is turning out incredible. Can get to .500 tomorrow with a win. Can't wait for us to get healthy. Hanniger and Felix should be back in a couple weeks or so. Smyly sometime this early summer.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Never would I have thought that the two guys battling for the backup outfield spot during spring training would play such a vital role this early. No doubt about it, you have to roll with Heredia, Gamel, and Haniger in the OF. Dyson can be the fourth outfielder and pinch runner. It's a no brainier.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Bats can keep a team with bad pitching in any game. But good pitching can't keep a team with no bats in a game. Just think of all those teams that were trying to win game 0-0 seven years ago. The old GM's were like "let's build a pitching team because of this pitcher park." Jerry D is like "let's build a team that hits doubles and can run" it is the same thing the Cardinals did this past 20 years.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
.500 folks. 17-17 and the upward trend continues. 11 runs, 16 hits again today. Even Valencia had 4 hits to raise his avg to .243. Huge day for Cano too.

Iwakuma was placed on the 10 day DL though. Perhaps not surprising. They called up Sam Gaviglio to take his spot. All in all, things are looking up. Expect a lot of 8-6, 10-8 type games this year.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":336y4gnc said:
WHo the hell is this Ben Gamel? Damn.
I don't know, but I hope he's under contract for the forseeable future. :D

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":31cmw85o said:
.500 folks. 17-17 and the upward trend continues. 11 runs, 16 hits again today. Even Valencia had 4 hits to raise his avg to .243. Huge day for Cano too.

Iwakuma was placed on the 10 day DL though. Perhaps not surprising. They called up Sam Gaviglio to take his spot. All in all, things are looking up. Expect a lot of 8-6, 10-8 type games this year.
If you're a Mariners fan that's par for the course. Being at .500 means they are in the thick of it currently. The real season doesn't even start until after the All Star game. Keep within 10 games back, at that point the division title is totally in play and certainly a wildcard spot. We're good.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
No way did I think they could get to 500 with all the injuries..I am suprised

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2ligbybh said:
No way did I think they could get to 500 with all the injuries..I am suprised

Luckily, we've been in a span of rather weak teams. I don't mind.

Crizilla

Reaction score
got the first 2 guys out then allowed 5 runs

thats on servais, you gotta know when your guy is about to be done

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Justin Smoak getting some payback on us.

I still think we are playing with fools gold. As good as the offense has been, you can't win with this formula. You can't win a World Series with a bottom 5 pitching staff. I know we have plenty of injuries, but even at full strength I have doubts about the pitching.

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":3uapewqu said:
got the first 2 guys out then allowed 5 runs

thats on servais, you gotta know when your guy is about to be done
I'm not so sure. It looked to me like Gaviglio was shaking off a sign from Gosewich just before he threw that BP pitch to Smoak. Nice job rook.

;)

Latest posts