2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Gallardo looks like what he is, a back end of the rotation starter. He was lucky to only give up two runs in that bases loaded jam. Smyly should help the rotation out when he returns, my guess is whoever is struggling the most between Gallardo and Miranda will get sent down.

LIke usual to start the season, some hitters look lost while others look good. Martin, Dyson and Valencia are really struggling right now. I expect Cruz to turn the corner soon. Right now, are two best hitters are Motter and Freeman. Who would have thought?

Up 5-0, now we are probably going to lose. The more I look at this team, the more I think pitching could be a problem. We are really depending on a bunch of older arms.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Holy hell they suck. Again, a season where we have expectations and fail to live up to them.

However, as much I hate them now, I would not want them to leave town.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Motter and Freeman look legit. Maybe we need a manager from Tacoma, some other guys with something to prove, and a new bullpen from another planet. And for the love of humanity... Get rid of Zunino.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This bullpen sucks. Remember the days when we had good pitching but couldn't score more than 3 runs? I kind of miss those days. I like the offense, but if I had to choose, give me great pitching to go along with this park over what we have now.

Crizilla

Reaction score
im so sick of seeing stupid M's fans say "but zunino is a good catcher and Martin is good CF". Defense in baseball is not as important as in the NFL or NBA. You need guys that can hit and throw the damn baseball. It's amazing how new guys come right in and make an impact. Haniger, Motter, few others. Why not continue that with catcher and CF positions? Zunino and Martin are like the old nasty shirts you have hanging around but never wear them. Just get rid of them

Bobblehead

Reaction score
For such high hopes, the M's just suck.
How can their bullpen be so bad?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":26yvq3kg said:
This team is such a joke. Now down 7-5 because of a wild pitch. Would anyone really care if the Mariners left this town. Can we trade them to OKC and get the Sonics in return?

Throw in a 1st round Universal Sports Draft pick and you could have something!

Well we know Dipoto royally screwed up with his bullpen acquisitions this winter. But we also know he won't sit around and watch this debacle continue much longer. Expect several trades and releases within a month or 2.

I have a feeling we'll see several guys starting in the back end of the rotation this year. Gallardo "just doesn't have it" as my dad would say and the rest of the arms are becoming questionable at best.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Acording to fangraphs, the team has a BABIP of .251, an AVG of .209, and an OBP of .284. through 10 games.

Last year the Mariners had a BABIP of .297, AVG of .257, and OBP of .326.

Something's gotta give. Once Martin and Seager gets going, and Segura gets healthy again, I think things will turn on the right track.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3p9w0zkj said:

Yes. A lot of people would.

That being said, I've never been this frustrated with a team this early in a season before. I'm usually very optimistic and very patient, especially when it comes to baseball and a 162 game season, but I'm really struggling with that this season. Maybe the M's finally broke me?

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
I think they'll get things going to get back in the mix but will probably fall short of the postseason again. And we can all point to April and the Astros. For whatever reason Houston has just owned this club recent years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Chapow":2qp1azm5 said:
Hawk-Lock":2qp1azm5 said:

Yes. A lot of people would.

That being said, I've never been this frustrated with a team this early in a season before. I'm usually very optimistic and very patient, especially when it comes to baseball and a 162 game season, but I'm really struggling with that this season. Maybe the M's finally broke me?

They have broke me (for now)

I just want competitive baseball to fill my Summer. Things need to change fast for that to happen.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":d739z00b said:

It truly amazes me how quickly people forget that this kind of logic is why the Sonics left in the first place, and why the Seahawks nearly left in 1996. Before this fickle region anointed every Friday a "Blue Friday," a random poll wouldn't have turned up 3 out of 10 Seahawks fans in this town. After the glory years of the '90s were over and Howard Schultz plunged the team into mediocrity no one cared and very few people went to the Key. If the Sonics came back, they'd be the darlings of the region for a year or two, then eventually the bloom would be off the rose and somewhere down the road people would volunteer them to get out of town as well.

In many ways I can see why a commissioner of any the leagues would ask, "Why the hell would I want to base a team in Seattle?" That is, if this is the perpetual behavior of our region.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":30xz7r3d said:
Hawk-Lock":30xz7r3d said:

It truly amazes me how quickly people forget that this kind of logic is why the Sonics left in the first place, and why the Seahawks nearly left in 1996. Before this fickle region anointed every Friday a "Blue Friday," a random poll wouldn't have turned up 3 out of 10 Seahawks fans in this town. After the glory years of the '90s were over and Howard Schultz plunged the team into mediocrity no one cared and very few people went to the Key. If the Sonics came back, they'd be the darlings of the region for a year or two, then eventually the bloom would be off the rose and somewhere down the road people would volunteer them to get out of town as well.

In many ways I can see why a commissioner of any the leagues would ask, "Why the hell would I want to base a team in Seattle?" That is, if this is the perpetual behavior of our region.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. The Sonics had a great history. They won an NBA championship, had made numerous playoff appearances, including three NBA Finals. It took the Hawks a while to make the SB, but they aren't the Mariners. Like I said earlier in this thread, the Mariners have been around for 40 years. They have made the playoffs four times. Once a decade you will get to see them make an appearance in the postseason. The Mariners are a laughing stock of baseball, no different than how everyone laughs at the Cleveland Browns or the Sacramento Kings. Obviously I was being sarcastic about them leaving, but my point is that they are a terrible franchise.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1bxc3vxy said:
Hawk-Lock":1bxc3vxy said:
I have a feeling we'll see several guys starting in the back end of the rotation this year. Gallardo "just doesn't have it" as my dad would say and the rest of the arms are becoming questionable at best.

I can't believe DiPoto traded Smith for Gallardo. Smith was a valuable piece to this team. He not have been the ideal "athletic and speedy” outfielder, but he could hit, and he was a master at working the count. I put that trade up there with the Trumbo for Clevenger in terms of stupidity. Clevenger was a below average backup catcher. Gallardo was/is a declining starter coming off a career worst year, who is still struggling even as a end of the rotation guy.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":29miz87r said:
Acording to fangraphs, the team has a BABIP of .251, an AVG of .209, and an OBP of .284. through 10 games.

Last year the Mariners had a BABIP of .297, AVG of .257, and OBP of .326.

Something's gotta give. Once Martin and Seager gets going, and Segura gets healthy again, I think things will turn on the right track.

I think you're right, but that ain't gonna fix the bullpen- which right now looks epically horrendous. Maybe they can sort it out, but I don't know how with the arms they have now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tomorrow is a must win game. There's never been a team that started worse than 2-8 that made the playoffs.

On a positive note, I heard the Griffey statue is pretty cool.

Latest posts