2017 Seahawks, Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So the team now has 53 again as it is reported they have added DE- Dwight Freeney. This is confirmed by Bob Condotta.

He'll fit into the Leo spot in relief of Clark and will make for an interesting NASCAR package addition.

Updated.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":241spejq said:
So the team now has 53 again as it is reported they have added DE- Dwight Freeney. This is confirmed by Bob Condotta.

He'll fit into the Leo spot in relief of Clark and will make for an interesting NASCAR package addition.

Updating now.
Any word on salary yet? Assuming league min?

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I've been looking but with the team's cap can't see that he is, w/o a renegotiation elsewhere, he's getting more than close to vet min. It is now going into game 7 so they have some flexibility within the cobnstraints they have created this year.

Do know that Condotta has said it's another 1 year deal.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Apparently the deal with Freney won't be official until Wednesday so there are no numbers released until then.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or not. :?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/923260596031594496[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2mw1w6pi said:

Watch the Texans claim him now......................

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":19k9n0v1 said:
KitsapGuy":19k9n0v1 said:

Watch the Texans claim him now......................

Unless I'm reading it wrong, he's not on the practice squad, he's just able to practice. Once we bring him in to practice we have 3 weeks to activate him or he goes to the IR for the season.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kidhawk.

The team has 3 weeks of roster exemption now to determine if he will return to the active roster, be released or waived, or placed on IR.

At present Jordan is in limbo he's not on the 53 man roster and being returned to practice is no longer technically on NFI although he remains w/in the protocol until he can obtain a medical clearance.

I will leave him in the NFI category but note he's able to return to return to practice.

updating now

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ConorGentes/status/923263976804253696[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/923265783236501504[/tweet]

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Seafan

Just noticed that myself but you were much quicker.

Updated.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I was doing a little calculating today and was looking into 2018 cap space. I'm assuming that Lane and Avril are cut after the year. Lane seems 100% gone... and I think even if Avril wants to keep playing it won't be at his current salary.

Jon Ryan is worth keeping an eye on -- obviously he's still a great punter but his salary next year is $2.6M so he might become a target.

I'm also assuming that Rawls and Coleman receive RFA tenders at the 2nd round level ($2.9M or so). What I don't know is what the actual 2018 cap will be and how much willl carry forward from this year. To be conservative, I'm assumimg no carryover (there will very little) and the cap will grow by a small amount.

With all that, I see the Seahawks with between $30 and $35m in cap room. This seem like a lot, but if they do a deal with Sheldon Richardson it can go fast. The top free agents for the Seahawks are Richardson and Richardson. (go figure). Jimmy Graham is a bit of a wildcard, not sure what his market will be. If he comes back it will be for less than he's making now. I don't think any other UFA is going to cost a whole lot. Big names entering the last year of their rookies deals are Clark and Lockett.

Salary cap talk is a little dangerous because so much changes over time. My goal is to lay out what i think I know and be clear about what assumptions I'm using. Bottom line is the Seahawks should be in OK shape to make the decisions they need to make. My only bold prediction is there will be exactly one Richardson on the roster in 2018.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
After today, it’s beginning to look as if WR- Paul Richardson is starting to look like the guy the team hoped he be.

Maybe there will be two Richardsons next season?

It will be a very intriguing offseason.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seattle has traded to acquire LT Duane Brown from the Texans.

247sports.com reports the trade to be as follows:

Seahawks trade:

- CB Jeremy Lane
- 2018 5th round pick
- 2019 2nd round pick

Texans trade:

- OT Duane Brown

http://bit.ly/2zjrJFV

This is a pretty significant trade which if it works out for Seattle will immediately argue for a really big improvement of the OLine. As yet there are a lot of unknown details but the team will need to redo a contract or two to free up the cap to enable this to happen so there willl be lots of news coming on this matter.

NOTE: Although this trade is still officially pending as it is awaiting cap clearance and league approval it's noted in the OP.

EDIT: Apparently Lane failed his physical with the Texans and the Hawks have now given the Texans their 2018 3rd instead of Lane who reverts back to Seattle.

As yet the trade is pending b/c the Hawks will now need to cut a player to keep Lane who has value next season, this will involve more cap manoeuvering to get them under the cap and to meet the roster limits. This is still a developing picture.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With Lane returning there is a player move to be made to comply with the roster limits.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kitsap.

I've been refreshing a few sites to see if I can find out who the player will be that is waived or released. As you say, so far no news yet.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kitsap:

Just noticed that on Condotta's twitter:

Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta 7m7 minutes ago
More
Seahawks waived Isaiah Battle to make room for Duane Brown. #forreal

updating now