2 Pt: All Sherman had to do was push DT out of bounds

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":10vc1vtz said:
I think in that situation the best way to defend that play is to concede the catch but instead tackle the legs and carry the receiver out. As far as I know doing so is legal, I'm surprised teams don't do this more on catches by the sidelines. Unwritten rule?

Yeah the official word on that has gotten kind of cloudy ever since they changed the rules a few years back. They took judgement away from a ref on whether a defender interfered with the receiver coming down in bounds...but I don't know how much they are actually allowed to interfere now. Can they still call a force-out if it is blatant?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9mhz2x83 said:
He did try to push him out, but it's not easy to push a 240 lb TE that far.

What I would have liked Sherman to do is just blast him as hard a he could to disrupt Thomas's feet to maybe get one of them to not be able to touch down.
Delirious Thomas made an incredible catch for the two point conversion, but it still wasn't enough to win after all was said and done.

seedhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1latpacn said:
kearly":1latpacn said:
I think in that situation the best way to defend that play is to concede the catch but instead tackle the legs and carry the receiver out. As far as I know doing so is legal, I'm surprised teams don't do this more on catches by the sidelines. Unwritten rule?

Yeah the official word on that has gotten kind of cloudy ever since they changed the rules a few years back. They took judgement away from a ref on whether a defender interfered with the receiver coming down in bounds...but I don't know how much they are actually allowed to interfere now. Can they still call a force-out if it is blatant?

It is both feet down no matter now. No more "force out" calls. One of the big reasons we coach our recievers to "own the red line".

minormillikin

Reaction score
Sherman's botched effort during the 2 point conversion was one of the top five or six reasons we lost the game.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
minormillikin":602qiwuh said:
Sherman's botched effort during the 2 point conversion was one of the top five or six reasons we lost the game.

:lol:

mikeak

Reaction score
I am confused - it seems like some of you think the opponents are playing to counter efforts by our players.

Like Thomas tried to stay in bound and not flop out of bounds when pushed by Sherman.

Strange :sarcasm_off:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":b1olerap said:
The 2 point conversion really bothered me. Demariyus Thomas jumped probably as high as he possibly could to catch that pass, and he was about as close to the back of the end zone as he could possibly be. All Sherman or any other Seahawk had to do was push DT in the midsection right out of bounds while he is flying through the air with the ball and its game over. Should have been a no brainer for an intelligent, prepared player like Sherman.

I'm guessing that is why Sherman seemed so dejected after the game. They will all get coach up on it I'm sure. It probably will not happen again. Also you can't take anything away from a great QB - WR combo like Manning and Thomas. Still, that was pretty infuriating.

That's a good point, and something I never thought about. I guess I'm still used to the force out rule.

That was an incredible catch by DT. That was Largent-like footwork he demonstrated, and Manning put it where only his guy could catch it. Pretty gutsy throw considering that the game was on the line, when I first saw that ball arching towards the goal posts, I didn't think there was any way in hell he could complete that pass. I about cried when the ref signaled that he scored.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
JGreen79":1vywcin4 said:
kearly":1vywcin4 said:

If i remember correctly a blatant carry out can be considered a catch. Not sure on the exact wording but I think it's in there.

Defender had two feet on the ground!

:D

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
A side effect of DT tying the game is that Russell willed our offense to an 80-yard game-winning drive. With the national attention on that game, some of RW's last remaining detractors and "game-manager" labelers are changing their tune. They're saying what we've known for a couple years, that Russell is a game changer. Not that it matters much, but there's one less thing to get upset about for those who were so inclined.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Easy for people NOT ON THE FIELD to say he should have pushed him out etc. He's one of the best players in football, he understands the game. If he could have pushed him out, he would have. How about giving credit for an incredible play by Denver. Imagine that. :lol:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sherm aint built like that. Earl or Byron coulda went low and carried him out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No DB in football from the last 10 years was stopping that play. Manning made a perfect throw, and Thomas made a perfect catch.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3lqca5yx said:
The 2 point conversion really bothered me. Demariyus Thomas jumped probably as high as he possibly could to catch that pass, and he was about as close to the back of the end zone as he could possibly be. All Sherman or any other Seahawk had to do was push DT in the midsection right out of bounds while he is flying through the air with the ball and its game over. Should have been a no brainer for an intelligent, prepared player like Sherman.

I'm guessing that is why Sherman seemed so dejected after the game. They will all get coach up on it I'm sure. It probably will not happen again. Also you can't take anything away from a great QB - WR combo like Manning and Thomas. Still, that was pretty infuriating.

The Stanford grad in him instantly registered the fact that had he interrupted the conversion, 1000s of Hawk fans would have lost their bets (-5). That's a lot of soup.

Tough (tough) pass to defend, bro. I don't think he even got any "exposed" comments off that one. The conversion didn't upset me...but the drive did. Like a hell ride down Telluride, it just sucked.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Sherman knew that there was still 14 seconds on that clock. That's enough for an onside kick recovery. One quick out to the sidelines followed by a field goal. We end up losing by one. He knew Tarvaris is unstoppable during a coin toss and that Russell can't be stopped in overtime.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Body momentum of the receiver makes a huge difference in how hard it is to push someone against or in any direction other than the direction their body is already heading, and Demaryius Thomas is 6'3" 229 lbs.

Just sayin'.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":keab8732 said:
No DB in football from the last 10 years was stopping that play. Manning made a perfect throw, and Thomas made a perfect catch.

Probably true. But we're armchair quarterbacks, and our job is to speculate on the 'what if's'. If Sherman had it to do over again and saw how close he was to knocking Thomas out of the end zone, I think he would have taken a little different tact as it wouldn't have required a lot more effort to push him out. That doesn't diminish what you said about the play. It was an awesome effort by both Manning and Thomas, and I agree that every DB in the league would have gotten beat. It's only in knowing what the result was in advance that they could have made an adjustment to stop it.