12th man flag flying in DC?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
What a garbage bet ! No hawks flag? Really ?!? What a joke.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":236tc5hl said:
Some of you just don't take the time to read even the shortest of articles.

Here... this is the last sentence of the article that I linked above...

If the Seahawks had lost, a D.C. banner exclaiming “Taxation Without Representation” would have flown over Seattle City Hall for a day, DCist reports.

Welp, as you've now just proven, much better to excerpt the relevant portion and add the link for reference. It kind of looked like you did that in the other post, but I guess actually you've sprung the money quote on us now.

At any rate, I heard McGinn say in a radio interview that the bet was between city flags, i.e. the one I posted above. The "taxation without representation" business is a political deal pertaining to the unique stateless situation that the District finds itself in. I have my doubts that the City of Seattle would be taking a position on a that particular struggle one way or another. (Could be wrong though.)

Best image I could find pertaining to the sentence you've quoted above:

us-dc-protest.gif

Psychobabbler

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":19axwvo3 said:
Hey, wow. The City of Seattle flag is actually kind of cool. I like it, anyway. YMMV, natch. Not a damn thing wrong with being the "City of Good Will".

737px Flag of Seattle
No doubt a leftover from the Goodwill Games of 1990!

gargantual

Reaction score
If the don't pay state tax, but also don't receive state funding, you'd think that would cancel the other out and then why bitch?
Or is it that they pay tax...but to what state then?
But I'm just guessing.....don't know the particulars..

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Psychobabbler":2hk48r6u said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":2hk48r6u said:
Hey, wow. The City of Seattle flag is actually kind of cool. I like it, anyway. YMMV, natch. Not a damn thing wrong with being the "City of Good Will".

737px Flag of Seattle
No doubt a leftover from the Goodwill Games of 1990!
Oh, great point. Actually, on one of the sites where I looked for the image, I read that the flag was adopted in 1990. Also, that explains the "typo" on the flag where there's no space between "Good" and "Will". I thought it was a weird thing to put on a flag, since "Goodwill" isn't actually a word in English. But that's how they named the games...

Th' more ya know!

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
gargantual":3v16hke6 said:
If the don't pay state tax, but also don't receive state funding, you'd think that would cancel the other out and then why bitch?
Or is it that they pay tax...but to what state then?
But I'm just guessing.....don't know the particulars..

I'm pretty sure it pertains to the fact that DC residents pay federal taxes but do not get any representation in the Senate.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3t2hfohv said:
Welp, as you've now just proven, much better to excerpt the relevant portion and add the link for reference. It kind of looked like you did that in the other post, but I guess actually you've sprung the money quote on us now.
I'll attempt to explain.

In the post that I provided the link, the key question/point to be resolved was...

What flag does the District of Columbia mayor have to fly at his office building?

"Is it the 12th Man flag?" ... or... "Is it the Seahawks team flag?"

As it turns out, it's neither.

Much later, the thread's direction changed to... "If the Hawks lost, what flag would McGinn have to fly here in Seattle?"

The answer was included in the article that I linked. It wasn't the "money quote" at the time that I posted the link.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
City of "Goodwill" is a reference to Macklemore's 'Thrift Shop.' :mrgreen: :icon_jig: (j/k, duh)

I like that the Seattle flag will be flying over DC. We can show them how to depict a Native American without having to use a racial slur. (aw, snap!)

dunceface

Reaction score
So weak. I wanted to hang our big Hawk out all over that city's face