10 of 13 ESPN analysts pick Denver

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":29tmgdb0 said:
.................And Mort referencing the PRESEASON game as a counterpoint to Polian saying the metrics all are in the Hawks favor and predict the winner 90% of the time. Really? Preseason? Frisco Ron Jaworski did the same thing yesterday. Wow. A preseason game. Just wow.

A pre-season game... where we handed them their ass. Yeah, don't get it. no logic at all. But i'm actually kind of grateful these ignorant idiots are making our guys out to be underdogs. They're much better when they're underdogs...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":2wy48of1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2wy48of1 said:
.................And Mort referencing the PRESEASON game as a counterpoint to Polian saying the metrics all are in the Hawks favor and predict the winner 90% of the time. Really? Preseason? Frisco Ron Jaworski did the same thing yesterday. Wow. A preseason game. Just wow.

A pre-season game... where we handed them their ass. Yeah, don't get it. no logic at all. But i'm actually kind of grateful these ignorant idiots are making our guys out to be underdogs. They're much better when they're underdogs...
VERY good point CAN.

HawkWow

Reaction score
For the most part, I've been watching the NFL net coverage. NFL network, IMO, has given the Hawks MUCH more coverage / talk than they have Denver. If this is also the case over at ESPN, it's possible they are trying to win back Bronc fans, unsure.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I cannot watch many more of these shows today. It seems to have turned into a Broncos love fest, especially today.

Ugh, I am getting so nervous for this game.

blue 22

Reaction score
first take has actually been giving seattle alot of coverage if anyone cares. lol

amill87

Reaction score
HawkGA":2376awjz said:
Back at a bank I used to work for, they started following a performance review policy of 20-70-10. 20% of your employees would get an "Exceeds Expectations" performance review, 70% would get "Meets Expectations" and 10% would get "Needs Improvement." These bottom 10% would be fired within a year. I really think sports reporting and prognosticating should follow this model. I think it would not only improve performance, but I think from a fan/viewership perspective, it would give us some solace to know that these dumbass talking heads actually face some accountability for the dumbass stuff they say/predict.

Not gonna happen. Why? ESPN (and others) is making money hand over fist.

What would we talk about if every person in the media was Sando and Willie Mcginest? How fair they analyze the game?

ESPN (and others) wants its employees to do two things. They want most of them to go with the popular national opinion or say completely off the wall, irresponsible remarks.

Sports media isn't just a bunch of independent people running around stating opinions. They have bosses that influence their opinions.

Largent80

Reaction score
Fact. Teams that play each other in the pre season, then play in the superbowl, the winner of the pre season game has won the SB 6 out of 7 times.

amill87

Reaction score
Largent80":1atpm2n3 said:
Fact. Teams that play each other in the pre season, then play in the superbowl, the winner of the pre season game has won the SB 6 out of 7 times.

really? That is crazy

kearly

Reaction score
Jon Gruden picked Denver too.

In fairness to a lot of these guys, most of them are picking Denver to barely win, and there are a lot of factors that go into that slim edge. Things like Denver's hot streak (four straight convincing wins), the groupthink factor, and the experience gap between QBs.

Mainly though, the reason for these predictions is a widespread underestimation of Wilson and to a lesser extent an underestimation of Seattle's pass defense.

amill87

Reaction score
kearly":3d1d7wdr said:
Jon Gruden picked Denver too.

In fairness to a lot of these guys, most of them are picking Denver to barely win, and there are a lot of factors that go into that slim edge. Things like Denver's hot streak (four straight convincing wins), the groupthink factor, and the experience gap between QBs.

Mainly though, the reason for these predictions is a widespread underestimation of Wilson and to a lesser extent an underestimation of Seattle's pass defense.

I don't get why our pass defense is suddenly getting "downgraded".

On 710 today, Brock literally made a comment about Kaepernick saying the Broncos need to get us in the nickel defense. Brock followed it up with because the Hawks run defense is so good, the Broncos will be better suited to pass the ball.

Sigh, poor Brock is getting sucked in by New York.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ESPN analysts are entertainers. They're hired and paid to extend dumbed-down narratives to the popcorn-stuffing masses, and the most accessible narrative is OMG OMG OMG PEYTON MANNING OMG OMG OMG. Not surprising.

Polaris

Reaction score
amill87":zozi5qbo said:
Largent80":zozi5qbo said:

really? That is crazy

Not really. It backs up a contention I've had for a while (and also espoused in Denny Green's famous, "crown their" posterior, rant. It turns out especially when ones play ones for an extended period of time, that you get a very good idea of which team matches up better against another team even in the preseason.

In short, the preseason isn't as 'meaningless' as popular rumor would have it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
amill87":3tj51oqx said:
HawkGA":3tj51oqx said:
Back at a bank I used to work for, they started following a performance review policy of 20-70-10. 20% of your employees would get an "Exceeds Expectations" performance review, 70% would get "Meets Expectations" and 10% would get "Needs Improvement." These bottom 10% would be fired within a year. I really think sports reporting and prognosticating should follow this model. I think it would not only improve performance, but I think from a fan/viewership perspective, it would give us some solace to know that these dumbass talking heads actually face some accountability for the dumbass stuff they say/predict.

Not gonna happen. Why? ESPN (and others) is making money hand over fist.

What would we talk about if every person in the media was Sando and Willie Mcginest? How fair they analyze the game?

ESPN (and others) wants its employees to do two things. They want most of them to go with the popular national opinion or say completely off the wall, irresponsible remarks.

Sports media isn't just a bunch of independent people running around stating opinions. They have bosses that influence their opinions.

I will say that I generally trust those people who are actually in the business to make the better money decisions. That said, I think there is a big market out there for smart, quality analysis. It may not as big of a market as the shock jock market but I think it's there. NFL Network's best year was their first year in operation. Then they decided to be ESPN Lite.

That said, you don't think ratings would go up if they had a Survivor like "you are the weakest link" kick off at the end of the season for their talking heads? That'd be awesome.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seeker":395vqiwm said:
Carter picked us? the hell??

Oh snap. You can bank that win now. I don't know if you heard or not, but Carter's in the Hall of Fame.

acbass

Reaction score
I like it this way. I was watching First Take today (I was REALLY bored) and they had all these athletes come on and make their picks. 3 straight picked Seattle before coming on (including Justin Tuck and Dwight Freeny) and the entire time they sat up there and tried to destroy their reasoning for picking Seattle. It was embarrassing. Josh Gordon came up and picked the Broncos, and they were just like "Smart man, I bet you'd love to have Manning on your team!!" This is the same thing we've gotten all season and I wouldn't have it any other way. Come Sunday night when the Lombardi trophy comes to the Great Pacific North West, there will be nothing left for them to say. No excuses as to why this team isn't great. Sure, they will try to blame something that happened in the game, but they will know that they were all wrong. I, for one, cannot wait!!!

amill87

Reaction score
HawkGA":3o4tesx1 said:
I will say that I generally trust those people who are actually in the business to make the better money decisions. That said, I think there is a big market out there for smart, quality analysis. It may not as big of a market as the shock jock market but I think it's there. NFL Network's best year was their first year in operation. Then they decided to be ESPN Lite.

That said, you don't think ratings would go up if they had a Survivor like "you are the weakest link" kick off at the end of the season for their talking heads? That'd be awesome.

What about a battle Royale? I wanna see Skip Bayless vs John Clayton. My money is on Clayton going all honey badger.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seattle is going to romp in this game cause their Offense will have a coming out party... Yep. We got this.

Latest posts