“Lockdown” in every sense of the word

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Watching stuff on him now, and it is going to be so refreshing to watch someone on the DEF that navigates traffic and wraps up the ball carrier. Instead on running into blockers and looking generally lost on the field.

AWESOME player. Can we draft Skinner and bounce Diggs/Adam's next year (it's been good, but not that good and I love Diggs). Opposing teams can't score if all their players are broken in pieces.
Agreed! Missed tackles was the most frustrating part of our D last year. A couple members of the secondary were painful to watch bouncing off runners. Spoon brings a toughness we haven't had in that group for some time.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with when it comes to this kid is taunting. The no fun league is going to be so quick to throw that flag if there is the slightest hint of it after a big hit. It'll be a challenge for a passionate kid like this to contain himself.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with when it comes to this kid is taunting. The no fun league is going to be so quick to throw that flag if there is the slightest hint of it after a big hit. It'll be a challenge for a passionate kid like this to contain himself.
Pete needs to lay down the law... You taunt and cost us 15 yards, you sit.

chris98251

Reaction score
He just has to celebrate with his team mates and not show up or direct anything at an opponent, DK and him will share the coaches doghouse till they get it figured out, smack talk on the other hand is fine, if he gets into another players head like Sherman did it works well. DK needs to learn that as well, at least Ramsey isn't in the division anymore to exploit Metcalf's fuse.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I've spent some time looking at video of Witherspoon and he's an interesting player. The first play in the above video is his big hit against Indiana. Look at where he lines up and when he starts his sprint to the running back. He guessed what the play was based on the formation and immediately committed to stopping it. In the next play, Illinois is in zone coverage with Witherspoon at the bottom of the screen. Again, look at when he recognizes the play (before the QB starts his throwing motion) and how far he runs to make the INT. I've seen several plays like this.

Witherspoon does his homework before games, sees the field well, and trusts what he sees. While he can play man coverage, he's particularly dangerous in zone coverage where he keeps his eyes in the backfield and reacts to what he sees. One question I have is how often does he guess wrong? All I'm seeing are his highlights. How often does he leave his zone to chase a play only to get beat over the top on a play fake? Obviously, it didn't happen that often, otherwise, he wouldn't have been the 5th pick in the draft. I can definitely see Carroll's comparison to Troy Polamalu, but I need to see his anticipation translate to the NFL first.

I'm also concerned about his size. The way he throws his body around, 181 pounds is too light. Troy Polamalu was around 205, which would be a good weight for Witherspoon, assuming his frame can handle that weight.