Ringless, the teams. Who is next?

ringless

Reaction score
There are a lot of teams you can count on to lose in this league and this is the list. They are for the most part reliable teams. Teams that can be counted on to lose when it matters the most (See Buffalo) or teams that are just annual losers in every sense of the word

Those are the following teams:

Cleveland Browns
Detroit Lions
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars

Its interesting that a league with so much parity has only had 19 Super Bowl Winners. The rest who have not one one yet are:

Buffalo Bills
Minnesota Vikings
Cincinnati Bengals
Philadelphia Eagles
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Arizona Cardinals
Tennessee Titans
San Diego Chargers

In a sense all of the teams have the same obstacles to overcome at the moment in the sense they have to beat the elite. Seahawks, Packers, Patriots, etc at some point to get there.

So it comes down to coaching, rosters, and who will have the easiest path at even getting an invite to the playoffs. Whats your take? Vegas puts the odds as follows at least for this year:

Eagles
Vikings
Falcons
Cardinals
Bills
Bengals
Lions
Chargers
Texans
Panthers
Browns
Titans
Jaguars

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seahawks were on that list just 2 seasons ago. So glad to be off it finally!

Falcons have a pretty good shot. Improving Defense to go with a good Offense. If Quinn can get them ready to play, they could win that division and make some noise in the Playoffs. That division is wide open for the taking.

Threedee

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to call the Texans or Jaguars perennial losers, given the relative youth of the organizations. Imagine if the Seahawks had managed to win the conference title match in 1983, though, in just its eighth year as a franchise?

ctrcat

Reaction score
Panthers. 26 and 24 year old cornerstones locked up until 2020/2021, Dave Gettleman has been a drafting madman, and finally gets completely out of cap hell next year.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
I'd pretty much say Detroit has the best shot of getting off the non-SB list at this point. Good QB play, best WR in the league, and a defense that allowed the fewest yards than any other team (except the Seahawks).

Cleveland routinely sucks every year, and the Bengals are the worst performing team in the playoffs. It's been like, 25 years since Cincy pulled out a playoff win.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think the Vikings have a real shot at making a run if they get a few more pieces. Next year they will be playing in their new stadium too. They were literally 2 plays away from being 9-7 last year and between a shit load of injuries, AP not playing and Teddy being thrust much like Wilson into starting after getting zero reps as the starter did much better than I thought they would be.

Bridgewater IMO is every bit as good as Wilson allready. He is STILL only 22 even after playing 1 season. As a rookie he was the number 1 QB on accuracy under pressure in the entire NFL and was the 4th most pressured. His decision making and reading the field is allready really good. He could quite possibly be the best rookie QB to come out in a long time ahead of Luck and Wilson. At the end of the season he really started to get it and had a 103 QB rating in the last 5 games only behind Romo. His redzone numbers were one of the best in the entire NFL as well along with having the highest completion ratio on 3rd down. Lots of good stats as a ROOKIE that didnt even get first team reps in preseason having no AP, having injuries along one of the worst Olines in the league. Outside of one year of Favre when they were one play away from going to the superbowl the last QB they had that was worth a damn was Culpepper back in 05.

[youtube]KW4wTlXz62Q[/youtube]

AP is the best RB hands down in the entire league and should be good for the next few years before declining. The guy is a freak and unilke anything I have ever seen. His play wont diminish until further than most RB.

Coaching Zimmer and Norv seem to be in the upper part of coaches. Zimmer is the HC but heavily involved in the D and in first year brought the D up from historically bad to league average. I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that Vikings had top 10 offense and D this year and they have really good balance.

For the D they have some really nice pieces. Everson Griffen is a premier pass rusher. Anthony Barr was coming along really nice until he got injured last year at the LB spot. Harrison Smith is one of the most underrated Safeties in the league and Xavier Rhodes is becoming a really good corner.

I really think they can overthrow the Packers this year if the D can play at a top 10 level. With AP coming back the offense should be firing on all cylinders. It would be like the Seahawks offense without Lynch AND Jimmy is what Teddy and the offense went through last year since Rudolph also got hurt earlier in the year. This is a team that CRUSHED the Rams last year in the home opener AT St Louis in the only game AP played last year. The score was 34-6

This season should be a good one. If you like Wilsons QB camp and like watching those Teddys was just as good IMO, both are going to be ELITE QBs for the next 10+ years.[youtube]YzY6GdgONac[/youtube]

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":3dh0i0jg said:
I'd pretty much say Detroit has the best shot of getting off the non-SB list at this point. Good QB play, best WR in the league, and a defense that allowed the fewest yards than any other team (except the Seahawks).....................
My feeling as well.

ctrcat

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2i8dae7b said:
I think the Vikings have a real shot at making a run if they get a few more pieces. Next year they will be playing in their new stadium too. They were literally 2 plays away from being 9-7 last year and between a shit load of injuries, AP not playing and Teddy being thrust much like Wilson into starting after getting zero reps as the starter did much better than I thought they would be.

Bridgewater IMO is every bit as good as Wilson allready. He is STILL only 22 even after playing 1 season. As a rookie he was the number 1 QB on accuracy under pressure in the entire NFL and was the 4th most pressured. His decision making and reading the field is allready really good. He could quite possibly be the best rookie QB to come out in a long time ahead of Luck and Wilson. At the end of the season he really started to get it and had a 103 QB rating in the last 5 games only behind Romo. His redzone numbers were one of the best in the entire NFL as well along with having the highest completion ratio on 3rd down. Lots of good stats as a ROOKIE that didnt even get first team reps in preseason having no AP, having injuries along one of the worst Olines in the league. Outside of one year of Favre when they were one play away from going to the superbowl the last QB they had that was worth a damn was Culpepper back in 05.

AP is the best RB hands down in the entire league and should be good for the next few years before declining. The guy is a freak and unilke anything I have ever seen. His play wont diminish until further than most RB.

Coaching Zimmer and Norv seem to be in the upper part of coaches. Zimmer is the HC but heavily involved in the D and in first year brought the D up from historically bad to league average. I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that Vikings had top 10 offense and D this year and they have really good balance.

For the D they have some really nice pieces. Everson Griffen is a premier pass rusher. Anthony Barr was coming along really nice until he got injured last year at the LB spot. Harrison Smith is one of the most underrated Safeties in the league and Xavier Rhodes is becoming a really good corner.

I really think they can overthrow the Packers this year if the D can play at a top 10 level. With AP coming back the offense should be firing on all cylinders. It would be like the Seahawks offense without Lynch AND Jimmy is what Teddy and the offense went through last year since Rudolph also got hurt earlier in the year. This is a team that CRUSHED the Rams last year in the home opener AT St Louis in the only game AP played last year. The score was 34-6

This season should be a good one. If you like Wilsons QB camp and like watching those Teddys was just as good IMO, both are going to be ELITE QBs for the next 10+ years.[youtube]YzY6GdgONac[/youtube]

But they're still the Vikings-which I would argue are THE most snake bitten franchise in sports. If they didn't win in 98, they never will. The Favre INT in 09 sums up everything they are.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
ctrcat":6jgou4ti said:
WilsonMVP":6jgou4ti said:

But they're still the Vikings-which I would argue are THE most snake bitten franchise in sports. If they didn't win in 98, they never will. The Favre INT in 09 sums up everything they are.

I don't think its fair to say that team wont win because of something that happened in 98? What players and coaches remain from the 98 team?

I honestly don't think the Panthers are really that close either. I don't think Cam is a QB that can win the big game. He's a player that can be down by 13 points with :56 to go in a game. Get a first down and instead of hurrying up to get the next play off he is acting like he just won the game. Unless he can mature. Even if you have above average corners, it doesnt matter. The games are won in the trenches.

Detroit also has a QB issue. Stafford is 0-17 on the road against teams with winning records. Eventually you have to be able to win on the road.

I wish I could say the Cardinals, but I would also have to go with the Vikings at this point. Terry seems like the real deal, and they have some time to continue to build a solid team around him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Again you could be right, only time will tell. Cam coming back from 24 down @Alabama, at home against the Saints in the rain with a busted ankle in 13, MNF against the Pats in 13, @Miami in 13, @San Fran in 13, and overcoming all the odds in 14 to win the division were clutch city among others and saw him make countless plays in real time without showboating. If DeAngelo Williams doesn't fumble inside the 10 in 13 the Panthers are the #1 seed.

I don't think they're gonna win it all this year either, but it will happen eventually IMHO.

With most if not all teams I'd agree that the past has no effect on the present, but with the Vikings, it's gonna take a special kind of man or men to break that curse. Teddy has a lot to prove before I think he's the guy to do it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ctrcat":1y6gpowq said:
^ Again you could be right, only time will tell. Cam coming back from 24 down @Alabama, at home against the Saints in the rain with a busted ankle in 13, MNF against the Pats in 13, @Miami in 13, @San Fran in 13, and overcoming all the odds in 14 to win the division were clutch city among others and saw him make countless plays in real time without showboating. If DeAngelo Williams doesn't fumble inside the 10 in 13 the Panthers are the #1 seed.

I don't think they're gonna win it all this year either, but it will happen eventually IMHO.

With most if not all teams I'd agree that the past has no effect on the present, but with the Vikings, it's gonna take a special kind of man or men to break that curse. Teddy has a lot to prove before I think he's the guy to do it.

That 98 team was basically the 07 Patriots and 13 Broncos. All had great offenses and all 3 never brought home that trophy. The 09 team had bountygate with the saints, ALOT of questionable calls, along with the only reason Favre threw a pick was having 12 men on the field before running AP and kicking the game winning FG

I see the vikings on the same trajectory as the Seahawks starting the 2012 season right now. Newer defensive minded head coach, upcoming D, built through the draft, young QB, ELITE RB. Bridgewater will STILL be younger than Wilson was as a rookie even after this season. It wont be until next season Bridgewater will be the same age as Wilson was as a rookie. Hes only 22 right now and allready really good at reading defenses and one of the best QBs under pressure. People forget he came out 1 year early. To look that good by doing that WITHOUT AP, tons of injuries on the OLine...Hes going to be special. He will be what Wilson is to the Hawks, The best QB in franchise history. Teddy also will be making rookie money the next 3-4 years so they can afford more help around him just like Seahawks with Wilson

I certainly didnt see the Seahawks even sniffing a superbowl win until that 2012 season when we drafted Wilson. You could tell that team was on the cusp of greatness especially going into the playoffs, and low and behold 2 superbowls in a row. It was superbowl WIN or bust for me the next year is what I told my dad when he asked what my expectations were. Just a superbowl appearance wouldnt be good enough. And the whole team delivered

Theres only been 8 different teams to win in the past 15 years so its tough to win one.

And to talk about the Panthers....I seem to recall the vikings thrashing them last year to the score of 31-13 (28-6 at halftime) where Bridgewater had a 120 QB rating and Cam had a 65.7 rating. Heck the Vikings went 3-1 against that sorry division last year. Only team they lost against was to the Saints on the road when Bridgewater had to come in for his first NFL action and AP had been suspended. They were only 4 points down going into the 4th quarter
[youtube]oLq0_5p_CkQ[/youtube]

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ That game was Wacky with a capital W. Congrats to the Vikings but the fact is that NFL special teams futility were matched on that day, with two punts returned for a TD in the first half, throwing everything all out of whack. The Panthers actually outgained the Vikings by 138 yards, had 23 first downs to 12, and fwiw the game was played in record setting low temps, even for Minnesota. Not to say the Vikings didn't earn it, in fact the game was never really in doubt, it was just Wacky.

That's no offense to Teddy, he had a good game and a good rookie year. The Vikings will be a formidable foe, but they still have to overcome history as well as the Pack, the rest of the NFC, then the 0-4 against the AFC in Super Bowls. Possible? Sure. But I wouldn't bet on it.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure how the Texans got lumped in as perennial losers. It was just a few years ago when Schaub wasn't throwing pick 6s that they were pretty strong. Anyway, here are my thoughts on who is next:

Teams that seem the strong candidates currently:

Eagles
Vikings
Cardinals
Lions
Panthers

Of these 5, if Palmer stays healthy, Cardinals look to be the most likely. Maybe Kelly is a genius and he gets his team to the big one? Lions have talent but it will be amazing if they don't skip a beat with the loss of Suh and Fairley. Maybe Ngota still has a bunch in the tank?

EDIT: Missed Panthers the first time through. They are even in my minds with the Cards, maybe even better odds since Cam had tasted victory in the playoffs and they have the defense. They need WRs though, with the IR stint for Benjamin this year.

Teams that have big road-blocks in front of them

Chargers
Bengals

Bengals have no excuse. Andy Dalton has to pull his head out or they need to move on to a QB that can make a difference for them when it counts. Chargers are good but right now Denver is in their way. Maybe Manning gives up the ghost this season and retires but I doubt it.

A couple of years could help them

Texans
Falcons
Bills

Texans need a real QB or for Hoyer to be a miracle worker. I may just be a Quinn fanboy on the Falcons pick and maybe Rex Ryan can get a real QB to stand up in Buffalo?

The others will have to come out of no where to be the next to take home the trophy for the first time.

Personally, I hope the Vikings never win a Superbowl. The "Poison Pill" hatred runs deep.

kearly

Reaction score
If one of these teams were to win it all this year, I'd pick the Bills. Now that they have Tyrod Taylor at QB, they sort of feel like Seahawks-lite.

I was hyped for the Vikings last year before AP got suspended. But I think that excitement was misplaced now. That defense is closer to average than good, and Bridgewater makes routine plays look difficult, even when he makes them. The backup RBs for the Vikings still produced decently well, and yet the Vikings still stunk, posting an 0-6 record against teams that finished .500 or above. That they made it to 7-9 was a testament them owning the 21st ranked strength of schedule.

I think the Eagles will win a lot of games, and might even earn a #1 seed, but I think they will get clocked as soon as they face a real defense in the playoffs.