Trevor Lawrence signs 5 year, $275 million with Jaguars

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Is Lawrence worth the new contract? Possibly not but the option is you don’t extend him allow him to be a FA or trade and start over at QB

Jags are gambling on that Lawrence will figure it out

projectorfreak

Reaction score
He just does not in any way seem to be worth a deal like that
Good for him but jags , just a bunch of guys ouch
@00 guaranteed , now he can really start mailin it in , woof
Geno i feel is more composed than TL

olyfan63

Reaction score
That'll pay for alot of Camaros, Natty Light and sleeveless shirts in Duval.
Now when he walks into the Waffle House they'll call him cheap if he doesn't pay for EVERYBODY's food!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Now when he walks into the Waffle House they'll call him cheap if he doesn't pay for EVERYBODY's food!
I heard his first big milestone purchase was buying Russ's full ton Ram off him and installing a higher lift as well as a couple flag pole holders. Dude will be rollin' coal like a Texas God!

NoGain

Reaction score
Okay, the money some of these athletes are making is insane. Let's get that out of the way. But what choice did the Jaguars really have? In a conference with Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Lamar, Herbert, Stroud, Rodgers you've got to hope that Lawrence reaches his potential. Sure, they could have played more hardball and sought a lower number, maybe even gone the way of the franchise tag.

But if Lawrence has a strong year next season (quite possible with his talent), he's going to get that kind of money either from them or someone else anyway. Why not just get it done now and get rid of the distraction? Lawrence doesn't strike me as the kind of person/player who's not going to try to reach his potential once he's been paid the big bucks. I could be wrong, but he seems like a real competitor.

Lawrence had the worst coaching experience imaginable his first year under Urban Meyer. I thought he looked quite promising his second year, especially toward the end of the season. Last year not so good, but the guy played hurt much of the season, and the team had other issues as well.

I don't know. The money's crazy, but I can see why they chose to sign him. Jerry Jones must be cringing now. He keeps waiting and waiting on Dak and the price tag keeps going up and up. LOL

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Deals like this remind us how team friendly Geno's contract is. Maybe the Jags did overpay but not by much. I would say his ability is comparable to Goff and he is being paid $53m p.a (compared to Lawrence's $55m).
The other big signing this year has been Cousins at $45m p.a. but he is 36 and likely to be in decline. If Penix performs Cousins will either be a $45m back up or be cut / retired meaning Cousins was paid $90m for 1 season.

Yes Herbert and Jackson are better players but their contracts were signed last year, this year's cap is 14% higher so their contracts are the equivalent of $59-60m p.a. contracts if signed this year.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Those bottom feeders had the same record as the Seahawks last year
The Jags were bottom feeders for a long time, including two years in succession with the No 1 pick. The last two seasons they have been 9-8 and a lot of that improvement has been due to having a decent QB on a rookie contract. Be interesting to see what that can do with effectively $50m less cap space for the pieces around Lawence.

Torc

Reaction score
This kind of contract is, in my opinion, one of the biggest weaknesses of the salary cap structure. The notion that any starting QB that signs nets himself the highest contract in the league, no matter how good he is, is ludicrous. Trevor Lawrence gets $55 million a year, so Tua will be pushing for $57 million a year. Not based on their relative talents, just "next man up".

Meanwhile, the actual best QB in the league, Mahomes, is sitting at $45 million a year. That, in my opinion, should be setting the bar. Not just who is the next "franchise QB" to sign. I think we've elevated a lot of "NFL starter talent" to "Franchise QB" status that don't deserve it.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
They could have not signed him, watch him walk and draft from the crap sandwich qb draft of 2025.
... and possibly wind up with a better record.

I just have NEVER got the hype. Granted, I never watch anything other than highlights of Jags games and I never watched him at 'cuse... or was it Clemson? Don't matter. Props to him and his hair, though. Get it while the gettin' is good...as the homie Todd Shaw sang.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This contract is structured so the owner eats the guaranteed money.

It has really high cap hits the last two years but there's an out for the team with low dead cap hits.

It's basically a three-year extension where team has relatively low cap hits/dead caps as long as they get out after the 2028 season.

The Jaguars have been run poorly for as long as I can remember, but this isn't a particularly bad contract that cripples the team through cap hits; it just requires the owner to pay the dude $200 million regardless.