RW's Foundation raises millions. Less than half goes to charity

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
It is an interesting article and is worth the read. Here is a quote.
"Wilson’s organization reported it spent almost $600,000 — or just 24.3 cents of every dollar — on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 combined and nearly twice as much, $1.1 million, on salaries and employee benefits in that span"
https://news.yahoo.com/russell-wilsons-why-not-foundation-174735657.html

soxhawk

Reaction score
Doubt it's Russell per se, but his hangers on probably saw it as a gravy train to capitalize on Russell's hospital volunteerism.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Doubt it's Russell per se, but his hangers on probably saw it as a gravy train to capitalize on Russell's hospital volunteerism.
Tell that to the Judge, lol.

I do agree, though. So many of these athlete celebrities get used for things of this nature by leaches in their circle. Mo money, mo problems.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
You make is sound like Russ is a good guy, the article disagrees. $200k for he and Ciara's secretary, just one example. Charity is supposed to benefit charities, not make your friends rich. Perhaps now we understand the hospital visits, not because he cares, just setting up his scam...
The young man falls further and further from grace every day...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This is why I don't donate to any charity. I'd rather just write a check directly to a needy person/family.
Yeah, better that it get used for crack/alcohol/cigarettes/take your pick.

It requires doing some serious reading to confirm that a charity is legitimately good and ethically spends their funds, unfortunately, but they do exist. I'm a monthly donor to Doctors Without Borders.

Chapow

Reaction score
Not defending Russ or this charity, but the fact is that this type of thing is fairly common practice among charities that a large amount of the money that is donated goes to things other than the people they are supposedly helping. The Wounded Warrior Project is one of the more famous examples.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Wow an investigation by USA TODAY found that Russell Wilson’s foundation reported it spent just 24.3 cents of every dollar on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 combined. What a jerk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why am I not surprised..It's a big scam

knownone

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear his team's rationale for this.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It is an interesting article and is worth the read. Here is a quote.
"Wilson’s organization reported it spent almost $600,000 — or just 24.3 cents of every dollar — on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 combined and nearly twice as much, $1.1 million, on salaries and employee benefits in that span"
https://news.yahoo.com/russell-wilsons-why-not-foundation-174735657.html
That is common in charities. The Clinton Foundation spent nearly 85% on overhead. United Way is similar to RW in input output. Charitable foundations are designed to leave people in control, so they can use the tax write offs for trips, money raising, housing, car leases, private jets etc. Charitable foundations are a scam.

If you can get one going, you can have the Foundation own the house you live in, and rent it to yourself for as little as $1 a month. The same goes for automobiles. The Foundation buys them, then the head of the foundation or his minion reap the benefits. In short, IT IS A TAX DODGE, but it helps some people.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Not defending the foundation in any way, but aren't foundations like this simply charitable "middle-men" anyway? Way better to put donation money closer to the actual use, imo.