Gruden: What The?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Punishment for speech, how fascist of you. That is straight from 1984. The concept of Hate Speech. He didn't incite violence, he advocated for a better lifestyle from the past. Sorry, why have children if you are not going to stay home and raise them? Hire it done, that way you are free to live a life of empty physical things, instead of a loving home life. Who cares if society falls into the pit of despair.
He wasn’t punished by the government, thus his free speech rights were still upheld. The Constitution has nothing to do with upholding standards set by your employer.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Punishment for speech, how fascist of you. That is straight from 1984. The concept of Hate Speech. He didn't incite violence, he advocated for a better lifestyle from the past. Sorry, why have children if you are not going to stay home and raise them? Hire it done, that way you are free to live a life of empty physical things, instead of a loving home life. Who cares if society falls into the pit of despair.
She said he deserves the flak he's getting in the court of public opinion and explicitly stated she didn't see it as a fireable offense. What the hell are you even responding to in her post?

Oh, right, you're just using a strawman argument to advocate for your own passe worldview.

Freedom of speech does not nullify the freedom others have to call said speech the ramblings of a pompous dunce.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ah, another fool with no understanding of how the first amendment works.

RiverDog

Reaction score
She said he deserves the flak he's (Butker) getting in the court of public opinion and explicitly stated she didn't see it as a fireable offense. What the hell are you even responding to in her post?

Oh, right, you're just using a strawman argument to advocate for your own passe worldview.

Freedom of speech does not nullify the freedom others have to call said speech the ramblings of a pompous dunce.
It wasn't a fireable offense as he was speaking for himself and not representing his team or the league (his employer). If he would have stood on the 50-yard line at halftime in uniform and getting paid by the team and made that speech, then he could get fired for it.

An employer or contractor can take action in these types of if they have a business-related reason to do so. As a supervisor, I wouldn't so much as put a bumper sticker on my car as I didn't want to reveal my political stripes, ie exercise my 1A rights, as it might discourage some employees from coming to talk to me.

Personally, even amongst my closest friends, I try to adhere to the philosophy of not discussing the three taboos: Sex, religion, and politics. But that's just me.

jeremiah

Reaction score
He wasn’t punished by the government, thus his free speech rights were still upheld. The Constitution has nothing to do with upholding standards set by your employer.
You advocated for legal punishment for his speech. He never condemned anyone, he advocated for what is clearly what is best for society, children, and the entire family.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I have always felt that the best way to fight words is with words. Firing people, boycotting, violence, government action, etc is just a little too aggressive for my taste. They are just words at the end of the day.

flv2

Reaction score
This is not a forum for members to state their opinions on how other people should raise their children or what is best for society.

Maulbert

Reaction score
You advocated for legal punishment for his speech. He never condemned anyone, he advocated for what is clearly what is best for society, children, and the entire family.
Punishment and consequences aren't the same thing. He's not being arrested, he's not going to jail. He was fired. The NFL doesn't have to gaurantee shit, and the government has no responsibility to step in and stop him from being fired any more than it can arrest him for saying something. Learn the difference.

sc85sis

Reaction score
No, I was talking about Gruden getting rightfully fired. That’s employer, not legal, action

I clearly stated Butker was offensive but that in my opinion it wasn’t a fireable offense.

Latest posts