Bears on Hard Knocks 2024

Rat

Reaction score
I wish we would do it. It'd be fun to watch, and I think the whole distraction thing is way overblown. Until very recently, teams making the playoffs in the previous two seasons were exempt, which makes it look like there's a negative correlation being on it.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I wish we would do it. It'd be fun to watch, and I think the whole distraction thing is way overblown. Until very recently, teams making the playoffs in the previous two seasons were exempt, which makes it look like there's a negative correlation being on it.
I feel like having a first time HC, especially one like our particular new coach MM, who apparently is NOT too keen on the extra curricular ancillary bullshit, would turn out to be a net negative and is just not worth it. The old regime? Sure. It's actually football programming tailor made for a Pete Carroll coached squadron.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It’s going to be fun to watch. I hope they don’t neglect the guys in training camp competing to get on the 53-man roster. I’m always interested in that drama. And occasionally a real unknown UDFA gem like Jack Sanborn emerges out of the pack.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think it helped the Lions and it definitely helped their fanbase grow.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It’s going to be fun to watch. I hope they don’t neglect the guys in training camp competing to get on the 53-man roster. I’m always interested in that drama. And occasionally a real unknown UDFA gem like Jack Sanborn emerges out of the pack.

There's not a single person alive that hasn't heard of Jack Sanborn.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There's not a single person alive that hasn't heard of Jack Sanborn.
If you’re not a Bears fan, you’re excused. Sanborn is a good example why you can’t just evaluate a player just on combine measurables. The thing they don’t measure is “football IQ”. Sanborn is one of those guys who has a nose for where the play is going right off the snap.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
What can I say? When a UDFA turns into a solid starter, it’s like finding a $100 bill in the street.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
What can I say? When a UDFA turns into a solid starter, it’s like finding a $100 bill in the street.

OK, but relevant examples here would be Jordan Babineaux, Doug Baldwin, Mike Bennett (sort of), George Fant, Poona Ford, Jermaine Kearse, Jon Kitna, Joe Nash, Thomas Rawls, DeShawn Shead, and Mack Strong.

Before anyone says that injuries stopped Rawls from being effective after that one season, I'll justify my inclusion of Rawls by pointing out that he produced about the same amount of on-the-field value in his first season as Sanborn has produced so far in two seasons, so while it's likely Sanborn will come out way ahead of Rawls in the end, so far they've been comparable (and Rawls more spectacular in his good moments). The rest of the Seahawks UDFAs I listed here are still way ahead of Sanborn. Yes, even Shead. Way ahead. And I'd bet lunch that Sanborn won't get even close to catching Baldwin, Bennett, Kitna, or Nash in career value. It's not even a sure thing that Sanborn will catch Babineaux, Fant, Ford, or Kearse. Heck, he's still got quite a way to go to catch even Strong.

Plus I'm not sure what to do with guys like Krieg, Rufus Porter, Eugene Robinson, and Zorn. I included Nash, but including these guys kinda feels like cheating because the NFL was very different back in the '70s and '80s. But if we don't exclude these guys, that's four more SEAHAWKS UDFAs I'd feel comfortable betting Sanborn won't even get close to catching in career value.

So when you're on a SEAHAWKS fan site and you want to make a point about finding treasure among undrafted players, there are lots of examples more relevant to the SEAHAWKS who have produced a lot more than uh... (checks notes for the Nth time while writing this comment to try to remember this guy's name because it's slipped my mind yet again) Jack Sanborn, a guy who's started fewer than half his team's games in his first two seasons combined (16 of 34).

Don't get me wrong. Sanborn has been reasonably good so far, and what he's produced is already good value for an undrafted player. It's just that you were talking about him as if he were either a SEAHAWKS player or a first-team All-Pro or something, and he's neither. I'm saying there are examples that are much better both in terms of being SEAHAWKS players and in terms of having produced much more on the field than Sanborn.

This reminds me of the very beginning of South Park, when the boys see and meet Santa, Jesus, and Brian Boitano and then marvel at having actually met the Brian Boitano. You're talking to fans of a team that has seen a bunch of its UDFAs have long and productive NFL careers, and you're getting all excited about a decent-so-far now-starting second-year linebacker. Sanborn as an example of finding a gem among UDFAs might fly on a Bears site, but around here there are much better examples to use.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I didn’t say Sanborn will ever be Pro Bowl. He will never be Roquan Smith. But he stepped in and has done a credible job. He played better than Edmunds last year, and Poles gave a $70 million contract to that guy.

My point is that I watch these UDFA guys in training camp because, as your examples show, some occasionally become solid contributors to the team.

BASF

Reaction score
OK, but relevant examples here would be Jordan Babineaux, Doug Baldwin, Mike Bennett (sort of), George Fant, Poona Ford, Jermaine Kearse, Jon Kitna, Joe Nash, Thomas Rawls, DeShawn Shead, and Mack Strong.

Before anyone says that injuries stopped Rawls from being effective after that one season, I'll justify my inclusion of Rawls by pointing out that he produced about the same amount of on-the-field value in his first season as Sanborn has produced so far in two seasons, so while it's likely Sanborn will come out way ahead of Rawls in the end, so far they've been comparable (and Rawls more spectacular in his good moments). The rest of the Seahawks UDFAs I listed here are still way ahead of Sanborn. Yes, even Shead. Way ahead. And I'd bet lunch that Sanborn won't get even close to catching Baldwin, Bennett, Kitna, or Nash in career value. It's not even a sure thing that Sanborn will catch Babineaux, Fant, Ford, or Kearse. Heck, he's still got quite a way to go to catch even Strong.

Plus I'm not sure what to do with guys like Krieg, Rufus Porter, Eugene Robinson, and Zorn. I included Nash, but including these guys kinda feels like cheating because the NFL was very different back in the '70s and '80s. But if we don't exclude these guys, that's four more SEAHAWKS UDFAs I'd feel comfortable betting Sanborn won't even get close to catching in career value.

So when you're on a SEAHAWKS fan site and you want to make a point about finding treasure among undrafted players, there are lots of examples more relevant to the SEAHAWKS who have produced a lot more than uh... (checks notes for the Nth time while writing this comment to try to remember this guy's name because it's slipped my mind yet again) Jack Sanborn, a guy who's started fewer than half his team's games in his first two seasons combined (16 of 34).

Don't get me wrong. Sanborn has been reasonably good so far, and what he's produced is already good value for an undrafted player. It's just that you were talking about him as if he were either a SEAHAWKS player or a first-team All-Pro or something, and he's neither. I'm saying there are examples that are much better both in terms of being SEAHAWKS players and in terms of having produced much more on the field than Sanborn.

This reminds me of the very beginning of South Park, when the boys see and meet Santa, Jesus, and Brian Boitano and then marvel at having actually met the Brian Boitano. You're talking to fans of a team that has seen a bunch of its UDFAs have long and productive NFL careers, and you're getting all excited about a decent-so-far now-starting second-year linebacker. Sanborn as an example of finding a gem among UDFAs might fly on a Bears site, but around here there are much better examples to use.
This seems like a very shady slight at Mack Strong. The inclusion above Strong of Ford and Fant is very short sighted. Strong was widely regarded as the best or second best blocking back in the league during his more than a decade in the league. He was a large part in the success of Chris Warren and Shaun Alexander. If it hadn't been for Mike Alstott getting more than a hundred more carries than Strong each season, he would have made more than two pro bowls and only one all pro. Strong was everything you wanted out of a fullback in those days. It wasn't his fault that Flores, Erickson and Holmgren barely called his number to get those stats up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The last couple of Hard Knocks seasons have been pretty decent. I'll def. check it out. Esp. with Leaf 2.0 at QB.
Plus, Rome at WR. People will find out soon enough how class this kid is. And nobody works harder. That, and he's just an incredible football player.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've never watched Hard Knocks.

I've watched Hard Knockers, but that's probably way different.

Latest posts