My theory for why everyone's so steamed.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Every draft is the same thing. So hilarious. Every single fan and analyst lose their mind over Seattle's picks. Myself included.

A RB as our first pick? WTF?? The dude has a woman's name! Another midget in the 3rd round, but at least he's at a position we need: DT. What next?

I'm actually chuckling as I write this. Seriously, it's going to be hilarious tomorrow, watching the Seahawks pick some random no-namer at a position where we have no "need", seemingly ignoring positions we think they need to improve. Or maybe it'll be some guy with a day-old DUI. Who knows.

All I know is, I fully expect at least one of these picks to be playing in the next Pro-Bowl. Some how, some way, it's going to happen. And I'll still be cracking up at the absurd beauty of it all.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anyone remember last year, when our RB corps was so thin in the pre-season, that we had a WR at RB?

That won't happen again. WE were lucky that Lynch didn't get hurt last year. In fact, I thought Lych was hurt as the season ended, thus all the fumbles.

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":2ulvb88e said:
I liked the Christine Pick more than any pick last year that wasn't Russell Wilson. People that are bashing this pick misunderstand Seattle's long term outlook at RB while failing to value Michael's intense upside. When the haters see this guy in pads, they won't be hating for long. Trust me. Remember how pissed we were when Seattle dealt Ahman Green? Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.

I feel confident that Seattle just drafted one of the core pieces a championship team today.

Some people have NO IDEA how much more explosive this team has gotten this offseason, and the Seahawks still have 10 picks left in a loaded day 3. Michael is as explosive as it gets at RB. Ditto Harvin at WR. We added some major spark on defense too. This was already an explosive team. This is a freaking scary team, and it just got downright disgusting with Michael added, IMO.

This should shut up anyone that is steamed. I on the other hand, am Gacked.

And yes, remember Lynch sitting out practices routinely last year, and then the costly fumbles? I think we just shored up a huge potential problem. The Hill pick is one I don't know much about.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually love the Michael pick. It would be cool to see Michael take the majority of the carries in the first half to open up the pass game with long runs, and then in the second half, when the opposing defense is getting gassed, we pound them -- beast mode style, into submission.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The highlights of Michael Christine are impressive. If he can help with punt returns or kick off returns, I think he would be great pick up.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
I also just completely changed my mind on the Jordan Hill pick. Because I think I may have grasped what was in the minds of PC & JS:

Our CB's like to jam, so a one-gap guy can completely disrupt backfield stuff before the WR can get out of the jam. And if we still need run-stuffers, I'm sure there are plenty left over -- why draft one now when we can get it later?

I think people will warm up to both of these picks sooner or later.

penihawk

Reaction score
Its just a matter of time before Marshawn gets a high ankle or something when someone drips off the 5 guys trying to get him on the ground. The thing you got to like about Michael is that there is a ton of mileage left on the tires and he is yet to reach the peak of his abilities. Remember Lynch has battled back issues and other dings the past couple seasons also. I didn't see the need quite as much a few days ago but the more I think about it, the more I love this pick.

I really liked Hill pre-draft and think he is gonna become a very good player in the inside of our defense. Didn't really think he fit what we were looking for but I like him as a player none the less. Time will tell?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Spounge84":2bijfw10 said:
I think part of the problem is that PC & JS have had such success over the last three drafts that we're expecting every pick they make to be a difference maker. The draft is bit like batting in baseball, even the best only succeed 1/3 of the time.

Are you saying that even without letting the new rookies prove themselves or knowing what the other ten picks look like that JS/PC struck out?

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
For a team that runs the ball more than any other team in the league, the Michael pick makes all the sense in the world. They need to be able to go three deep at the RB position and, if nothing else, Michael should be a significant upgrade over Leon Washington as the third back. He and Turbin will be competing in training camp for the role as the primary #2 back and we'll see who comes out on top.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
For the record I love the picks. And I will love the picks today. We could have struck out this draft completely and we'd still have the best roster in the league. Anything we get in the draft is gravy.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We added two pretty stellar talents to our offense in the first 2 rounds, and a guy that can be a solid role player on our DL, where we needed it. Those are 3 good looking picks, imo. Sure the RB was a head scratcher to begin with, but then we realized we aren't used to lacking a glaring hole on our roster. We actually had the luxury to draft for talent for once! Its not like we are desperate for starters going into the draft, so we can afford to draft guys based on talent. Feels good

hawkmanj

Reaction score
I think is standard to always be pissed with a least a few picks. And if we have learned anything Pete and John like to surprise us.

I was surprised at first about drafting a running back, but I understand the pick. It's valuable depth, especially with the current shelf life of running backs and allows us to continue to pound the ball.

I am not sure if Jordan Hill was the best player available, but we need DL depth and our DC has been a DL coach.

A

Anonymous

I like both the Michael and Hill picks as well. Seem to fit the new mold nicely.

Like Kip said, the team is getting "disgusting". Personally, I like the word "filthy".

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me about the first two picks is that Prisco liked them. That can't be good!

sutz

Reaction score
Effort? Isn't Russell Wilson a "high effort" kind of guy?

;)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Steamed is probably the wrong word, maybe the best word is puzzled.

Take C Mike, I think the larger issue is not whether or not he is a great back, but how the team is set long term.

We have a lot of players now that are essentially one year deals. We also have several players getting near the end of their contracts.

The only way you can re-sign key pieces for what they are worth is to pay other people less than they are worth. That is the nature of the cap when you have outstanding players in many positions.

One of the easiest ways to do this is to get performance from your rookies who are stuck in a rookie payscale vs a veteran.

So even with depth at certain positions (DE & WR), you still could have used a guy there.

Combine that with what looks like a screaming need at LB still (we look horrifically thin there), so I was a little shocked we didn't just get the guy that Baltimore picked up (Brown?).

That said, they earned the right to take a swing for the fences if that was the goal here. They won't succeed with every choice, nobody does - but their process seems to work and you have to go with the hot hand until it stops working.

Regardless, imagine if we had picked a WR with our 1st round pick, then I imagine people would be freaking out less about the RB in the 2nd round. Since we did pick a WR for our 1st, I think it is more that the RB was the first player picked this year that we could latch onto.

But what does it tell us if we spend the 1st pick on (not 1st round but first) on a luxury pick when we clearly have needs? Well it tells us that perhaps our talent eval people don't see big contributors coming from the pool. Basically, it means nobody seems to be sticking out. That is clearly bad when we have a lot of later round picks in what is likely a crap draft, but it might also be good considering our key rival also has a lot of picks and has some significant depth issues they have to address to hold us off.

My take is that people are upset because they believe this too. They see our needs, know we probably won't address them in this draft and understandably are bothered by that.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I LOVE both of these picks. I love them. Kearly's predraft write ups had me studying the RB and by draft day I was texting my brother saying I hoped we take him. Lynch is one of my all-time favorite NFL players and I was hoping for Turbin last year prior to the draft. So why would I want a third running back at this stage in the draft?

It puts ALL durability concerns to rest at the position for the coming year. We can run out THREE very very talented runners. I can't think of a precedent for it.

Re: the DT. I remain worried about the behind and alongside Mebane. We can be dominant vs the run when Mebane is fresh. But the more I think about it, the more I think our offense is so explosive that we might not need a bevy of runstoppers.

Pass rushing DTs inquire within.

Rainger

Reaction score
Well we are conditioned for the Hawks to take wild non media conventional picks that get poo poo'ed by the media. That is not happening this year so everyone (in hawkville) is in shock.

As example Pete Prisco has given us a b+ for each of our picks. Hawk fans are not used to this. I think the picks have all been solid so far.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Basis4day":2rnpcdg4 said:
PC and JS have earned the benefit of the doubt with the draft. Have there been some misses? Of course. But look at the impact players they have chosen. I don't need to waste your time naming them. We know.

Do i get the picks on the surface? Not really. But i'll hear an interview or two explaining the rational at the end of the draft and be excited again until camps start.

In PC/JC I trust.

that and we "drafted" Percy Harvin in the first