Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 613
Whether its a power ranking, predicting win/loss records, determining who is good and who isn't, or what have you, how would you describe how you rank teams? What single way of determining who is better do you put the most weight into?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Eye test.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
I'm going to go with "If they wear red and gold they are automatically overrated". ;)

Just messing around fellas. :)

Personally win/loss ratio to me doesn't mean as much as some like to make it seem. Strength of schedule has a factor in that ratio most of the time and therefore a "winning" team can be the benefit of their suckage from last season. If they follow it up the year after a deep playoff run then maybe.

I put little to no credit in power rankings as they are just the opinion of an analyst who uses personal opinions to rank their teams, even though they do tend to be a good forecast of who will be in the playoffs midway through the season.

I use consistency as a way of measuring a teams talent when I "rank" them. If they can consistently find ways to put points on the board and limit other teams from scoring a lot of points each game, as well as keeping mistakes to a minimum, that is a formula for success. It allows for the occasional "bad game" knowing that they are more than capable of bouncing back the next week.

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am
Posts: 1308
I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Ethnicity...Jseahawks taught me that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:54 am 
* Smackmeister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Posts: 6898
nategreat wrote:
I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.


It doesn't even sound like you're using any calculus. How do you expect to get real answers? If you're not using calculus you're just getting rough approximations. The "Swag constant" is outdated, you need to be using the second derivative of the "Swag curve" over the last 3 years (weighted for current year obviously).

_________________
President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
It's all about a quarterback and o-line.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm
Posts: 2081
JesterHawk wrote:
nategreat wrote:
I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.


It doesn't even sound like you're using any calculus. How do you expect to get real answers? If you're not using calculus you're just getting rough approximations. The "Swag constant" is outdated, you need to be using the second derivative of the "Swag curve" over the last 3 years (weighted for current year obviously).

I would expect by now you'd have figured out to take the natural logarithm of the principle coefficient as well. Honestly, people, this is the 21st century. We're not cavemen.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
eyeballs! some stats...

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm
Posts: 207
Location: ..Location..Location
BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
Whether its a power ranking, predicting win/loss records, determining who is good and who isn't, or what have you, how would you describe how you rank teams? What single way of determining who is better do you put the most weight into?


bingo...no fancy formulas, equations, or zen-like trances are needed...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 613
JSeahawks wrote:
Eye test.


So you watch multiple games from every team every year you wish to rank teams?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
Posts: 9252
Location: Renton Wa.
I usually look for a team that will adjust to game circumstances, if a team is doing something to take advantage of a player or a scheme and a coach is bullheaded to the point of forcing something whether it's working or not.

Teams that can make adjustments and not get pigeon holed into one thing tend to be more flexible and have the ability to adapt to different looks given them much easier. They can also present new looks at given times to change how the game is dictated as far as flow.

_________________
Image

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
JSeahawks wrote:
Eye test.


So you watch multiple games from every team every year you wish to rank teams?


Well, I don't wish to rank teams. But if that were my job, yes, thats how I would do it.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 613
But you wouldn't be able to predict future success from viewing past performances when there are significant personnel and coaching changes. What do you use then?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 271
Tarot cards and a Ouija board.

_________________
Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 am 
* Smackmeister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Posts: 6898
BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
But you wouldn't be able to predict future success from viewing past performances when there are significant personnel and coaching changes. What do you use then?


You asked, he told you. Can't it be left at that?

_________________
President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am 
USMC 1970-77
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
Posts: 9561
Location: Monroe, WA
I have a two tiered system.

1. Seahawks

2. All those other crap teams.

:)

_________________
Talent can get you to the playoffs.
It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22945
Location: Kirkland, WA
50% win/loss record, 30% eye test, 20% factoring in how good I think their opponents are/were.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8884
Location: Covington, Washington
I look at how they play on the road. How dynamic is the offense? How many play makers does the team have? How mature are they? Is there anything about the coaching staff and their history I can decipher? How healthy are they? Is their defense at least decent enough to generate turnovers and make a few stops?

Usually at the beginning of the season I go on past performances from the prior season that will bias my ranking.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 613
JesterHawk wrote:
You asked, he told you. Can't it be left at that?


If he elects not to answer, it can. Otherwise we can continue to play Q&A and both learn a little in the process.

RolandDeschain wrote:
50% win/loss record, 30% eye test, 20% factoring in how good I think their opponents are/were.


The Colts ended their season with the same record as us but I don't think you'll honestly think they can hold a candle to us. I sure don't and I'm less of a homer than most.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 am 
* 17Power Blogger *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 11211
1. Seattle
2. Everyone else
3. Gallstones
4. 49ers

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How do you rank teams?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:08 am 
* NET Philistine *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 14123
Location: Portland, OR
MontanaHawk05 wrote:
1. Seattle
2. Everyone else
3. Gallstones
4. 49ers


You forgot to put the Steelers, Redskins, and Cowboys underneath gall stones.

_________________
Super Bowl Champions XVLIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.