Schneider on KJR This am

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1l5jxpna said:
Edit: Isn't it interesting that JS waits until a month before the 2013 draft before trying to lock up Chancellor? I just realized the obvious. If talks stall and don't work the way JS wants to, he can draft a strong safety in the 2013 draft and be prepared for losing Chancellor in 2014. It would also give him added leverage in further extensions that occur down the road with Chancellor.

I wouldn't read to much into that. It's understandable that the first priority was to shore up roster deficiencies. Including temporary replacement of Clemons. That requires that you don't know what your cap situation is until after UFA signings (which start like 7 weeks before the draft). I wouldn't have expected them to even begin negotiations until after the league year started. Simply because they needed cap flexibility as there was no telling what the market would be going into it.

Remember too, we could well have been looking at signing Henry Melton or Randy Starks at essentially Percy Harvin dollars. I can't imagine we would have hogtied those potential deals by locking up Chancellor first.

The timing is convenient for us no doubt. But I think it's just merely coincidence. In fact, I think that there was a fair bit of unexpected surprise at having money left over due to an unexpectedly weak market.

Truth be told, other than real franchise cornerstones (Thomas/Okung/Wilson), I would expect extensions to come after the UFA period in almost every offseason. You always want to have the flexibility to make a move on a guy if the market/price is to your advantage. Extensions reduce a teams' ability to make those kinds of moves. I can't envision this FO giving up that avenue to improve our team for essentially no reason.

EDIT: I guess I just realized the obvious too. Maybe the timing of the UFA/league year start isn't so coincidental after all. But a way to put teams at a position of advantage in the renegotiation period.

SirTed

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":20b2dojv said:
I wouldn't read to much into that. It's understandable that the first priority was to shore up roster deficiencies. Including temporary replacement of Clemons. That requires that you don't know what your cap situation is until after UFA signings (which start like 7 weeks before the draft). I wouldn't have expected them to even begin negotiations until after the league year started. Simply because they needed cap flexibility as there was no telling what the market would be going into it.

Remember too, we could well have been looking at signing Henry Melton or Randy Starks at essentially Percy Harvin dollars. I can't imagine we would have hogtied those potential deals by locking up Chancellor first.

The timing is convenient for us no doubt. But I think it's just merely coincidence. In fact, I think that there was a fair bit of unexpected surprise at having money left over due to an unexpectedly weak market.

Truth be told, other than real franchise cornerstones (Thomas/Okung/Wilson), I would expect extensions to come after the UFA period in almost every offseason. You always want to have the flexibility to make a move on a guy if the market/price is to your advantage. Extensions reduce a teams' ability to make those kinds of moves. I can't envision this FO giving up that avenue to improve our team for essentially no reason.

EDIT: I guess I just realized the obvious too. Maybe the timing of the UFA/league year start isn't so coincidental after all. But a way to put teams at a position of advantage in the renegotiation period.

I couldn't agree more. I think / hope that PC and JS value Kam more than most here. As someone mentioned in another thread, where they happened to run into Kam somewhere - the extension has been SLOWLY in the works for a while. I see him getting locked up. He might be the most expendable in our backfield, but that's not saying much at all. We're talking about 3 other guys who are Pro Bowlers and 2 All Pro caliber players. This, to me is the perfect time to lock Kam up, and I think JS knows it. Yes, he had a down year of sorts but if the front office believes he's capable of rebounding, or better yet improving on his 2011 year, then this is the perfect time to sign him because his stock is down, just a bit.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seattle only has one real good reason to do this deal now, a discount on a 4 or 5 year deal in exchange for giving up the one cheap season Kam still has left. If Kam wants a Goldson deal, Seattle should just let him play out, franchise him for a season, and find his replacement over those two seasons.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Adding onto Scott's point, it may involve a rather large discount because a lot can happen over an entire season. We will be picking multiple safeties over the next two drafts, and one of them may be able to play the enforcer role for less than 1 million per season. Kam may not be able to stay healthy.

The guaranteed money on a longer deal would be enough to set Kam up for life and is preferable to many players over taking a risk for even more money in the future. That big second contract future never happens for most players. Sometimes they get injured, but more often they lose the competition to new hungry rookies who will be playing for a fraction of what it costs to sign an aging veteran.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1phqq8yr said:
Players on their last year and will become unrestricted.

Chris Maragos, Clinton McDonald.

twisted_steel2":1phqq8yr said:
They're restricted free agents.

Restricted this year. Meaning unrestricted next year.

I wonder if Taylor Mays would consider coming to Seattle on a 2 year deal? Yes, I know what Mays said after Pete Carroll passed him up in the draft but hear me out.

He hasn't been successful without Pete and that was 4 years ago. Carroll used him a lot like Chancellor when he was at USC. Same size and similar skill set. Mays would sign for a fraction of what Chancellor will get. He and his agent couldn't ask for a better situation. Come in and prove yourself, chance to start, resurrect his career, winning team, make pro bowls, and set himself up for one big pay day before he gets old. He'd get to get back at the 49ers 2-3 times a year. He's on the last year of his deal and if he gets cut he would be an ideal back up for a season or free agent next year. He plays special teams and I doubt he would rule out Seattle considering what we could offer vs. what he's going to command in the open market.

I also agree with others that think Chancellor is the most expendable and I could envision a 3 time All American like Mays doing just as well as Chancellor in our system. Its a unique system that Mays flourished in.

Jville

Reaction score
KJR audio link >> [urltargetblank]http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/player/?station=KJR-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=mitchinthemorning.xml&mid=23028592[/urltargetblank]

hawxfreak

Reaction score
With the way browner hustles to make tackles and strips balls from defenders and then just plays well at his position id say keep him
kam hits hard but the way these guys draft I don't think they're even worried about it
Big corners like browner are harder to come by

Hawks46

Reaction score
Kam is the most expendable. He also missed the most assignments in coverage last year. I love his physicality, but Browner has made more impact plays, and is more assignment correct than Chancellor. Also, Browner is at his best just erasing his guy. You won't hear a lot of Browner's name called in a game, but you won't hear his WR's name called either. That's why people think Browner is so expendable. Look at how many INT's Browner had his first year, then look at last year. People went after Sherman and not Browner, and Sherm got all the picks.

The FO was VERY high on Winston Guy at the beginning of last year. In TC and the preseason, he was creating lots of buzz. He was playing at the end of the Atlanta game in the playoffs, and not Chancellor which says something. Gonzalez had a perfect catch on Guy, but Guy had incredible coverage on that play. If Ryn was a few inches off on that throw, it's incomplete. We may already have Kam's replacement on the roster.

nsport

Reaction score
If the deal can't get done when the time is right (sometime between now and next year) - you will promote from within - whether that's Guy or someone through the draft. Nice thing is Chancellor is making good money this year and will essentially be auditioning for his next contract and/or his next team depending on negotiations. Worst case scenario we have him for 1 season - possibly two with a franchise tag. Best case we continue to evaluate and compete in the ranks and somebody else comes up and plays better - worst case, he's gone after one year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2ngasf60 said:
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/26/john-schneider-on-kjr-michael-bennett-has-torn-rotator-cuff-but-will-not-have-surgery/#more-17147

While unwilling to give specifics, Schneider said the team is working on a couple extensions on core players set to the hit the market in 2014

Players on their last year and will become unrestricted.

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Michael Bennett

Michael Robinson

Clint Gresham

Kam Chancellor

Will Blackmon

Walter Thurmond

Anthony McCoy

Golden Tate

Dexter Davis

Lemuel Jeanpierre
Didn't Clint Gresham get extended very recently (maybe after twisted posted this)?

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Cause Fullbacks don't get paid what starting NFL lineman do.

Why is the long snapper making 1.3million- holy sheep shit that is disturbing.

Huh huh huh long huh huh snapper

Jville

Reaction score
Hawks46":2qu0wwo2 said:
Kam is the most expendable. He also missed the most assignments in coverage last year. I love his physicality, but Browner has made more impact plays, and is more assignment correct than Chancellor. Also, Browner is at his best just erasing his guy. You won't hear a lot of Browner's name called in a game, but you won't hear his WR's name called either. That's why people think Browner is so expendable. Look at how many INT's Browner had his first year, then look at last year. People went after Sherman and not Browner, and Sherm got all the picks.

The FO was VERY high on Winston Guy at the beginning of last year. In TC and the preseason, he was creating lots of buzz. He was playing at the end of the Atlanta game in the playoffs, and not Chancellor which says something. Gonzalez had a perfect catch on Guy, but Guy had incredible coverage on that play. If Ryn was a few inches off on that throw, it's incomplete. We may already have Kam's replacement on the roster.

Winston Guy is Chancelor's replacement? This scares me. It really does!

Winston Guy had a very rough rookie year once the season started. Too many negative plays in his four regular season appearances ....... three of which resulted in loses. I thought the guy was a buzz kill. He doesn't look like a starter to me. In fact, he looks to have a lot to get his arms around before he can earn more playing time.