3/4/2014 -- 950 KJR 8am **How we lost Hutch**

drdiags

Reaction score
The part I liked about Mike's telling of the aftermath of the Vikings offer. I was right there with him in 2006 when I advocated matching the deal, even with the poison pill. Just like Mike, I got laughed at for not being realistic. I wish Mike had been in charge of that decision.

What was total BS was the NFL telling the Seahawks they wouldn't let them match because of the historic ramifications/precedent it would set for future contracts. This was not something I knew about. We all knew what the arbiter ruled about the poison pill but never knew the NFL prior to the ruling had advised the Seahawks not to try to match due to the 100% guarantee involved. Oh well, not going to rehash this anymore. I still hate the Vikings over this BS.

Barthawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1y53zhn6 said:
The part I liked about Mike's telling of the aftermath of the Vikings offer. I was right there with him in 2006 when I advocated matching the deal, even with the poison pill. Just like Mike, I got laughed at for not being realistic. I wish Mike had been in charge of that decision.

What was total BS was the NFL telling the Seahawks they wouldn't let them match because of the historic ramifications/precedent it would set for future contracts. This was not something I knew about. We all knew what the arbiter ruled about the poison pill but never knew the NFL prior to the ruling had advised the Seahawks not to try to match due to the 100% guarantee involved. Oh well, not going to rehash this anymore. I still hate the Vikings over this BS.

I still have alot of hate towards the Vikes on that deal and when EJ Henderson rolled into Hass that next season. It is all good though, we have done a good job of pilfering their talent over the years..

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
BadGuy711":2k108er7 said:
Barthawk":2k108er7 said:
It was brought up because the Transition tag was used twice yesterday.. It had not been used in UFA since the Hutch deal..

After this Hutch went on twitter and made some smart alex comments about the transition tag. Mitch responded and then a few minutes later announced Holmy would give the details this morning. Hutch's twitter handle has Poison Pill in it. He clearly thinks it's funny. What a jerk.

Well if winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate, who's laughing now?

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Tical21":bgyettc7 said:
I will defend Ruskell on this deal forever. It was a brilliant way to pay market value for a player you feel was asking for too much. The poison pill should have never been allowed. How could Ruskell ever have seen this coming? To hear Holmgren say that the league told them to go away and not match, was eye-popping. They should have had our back. An absolute joke of a deal, and gives Ruskell quite a bit of an underserved black eye. He should have told Hutch though and not lied to him.
Totally agree.

The transparently corrupt ruling of the NFL's so-called "Special Master" has always been for me the most important and under-recognized part of this story. The original "Poison Pill" was bunk from the beginning, and the league as much as admitted so when it banned subsequent deals post-Burleson. I'm not one who takes too strong a view on GM-type folks, but I never blamed TR for losing Hutch; that was always on the league as far as I was concerned.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I believe that Mike Reinfeldt, who was out cap guy and became the Titans GM, is the one that helped push to use the transition to help save cap space. At the time, I don't think the salary cap had gone up until the last minute which prevented the team from having more flexibility.

MVP53

Reaction score
Would have been somewhat amusing to see how far NFL teams would have pushed the "poison pill" wording in contracts.

"Entire contract is guaranteed if player ever wears a purple uniform"
"Entire contract is guaranteed if player ever plays a game on the same team as Peyton Manning"
"Entire contract is guaranteed if player ever plays a home game in a stadium sponsored by an oil company"

MVP53

Reaction score
Also would have been great if a poison pill every backfired on a team. Hutch's poison pill only stated his contract would be guaranteed if he were NOT the highest paid lineman on his team, right? Would have been great if they had drafted a future All Pro LT in that year's draft, then had to face their own poison pill when it came time to sign him.

gargantual

Reaction score
Isn't it just like the NFL to close the gate after all the cattle got out. As long as it's only the Seahawks that got screwed, then who gives a rip?

Between that , the Hass injury and their sleazy moves right before we acquired Housh (remember they did something to screw up the driver who was picking Housh up)..... the Vikes are DEFINITELY towards the top of my list of despised franchises. The list has gotten longer over the year... Steelers, Whiners, Vikings and most recently the Packers..... (used to even like those cheeseheads). The cheap-shot crap pulled by the Rams and the Saints at the end of the season I put on their coaches more than anything.

In the end though, karma really took care of things, didn't they?!? We have the team and front office we now have, as well as a Lombardi trophy!

.......and the Vikings have didley squat.

I'll take that. :)

drdiags

Reaction score
sammyc521":1y6nh4tv said:
I believe that Mike Reinfeldt, who was out cap guy and became the Titans GM, is the one that helped push to use the transition to help save cap space. At the time, I don't think the salary cap had gone up until the last minute which prevented the team from having more flexibility.

Another one of my pet peeves. The FOs across the league were working with the numbers from the old CBA, and had to decide whether to Franchise a player using those numbers. They do it, then the new CBA is agreed upon, significantly raising the limit but no one is able to re-do their fiscal decisions based on old numbers. Reinfeldt was trying to save pennies in a tight cap situation so I could see his reasoning. That plus he along with others just didn't value a guard the way Holmgren did.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Anybody have a link other than through iheart.com? My region is blocked by those tools.