New rule might hurt Beast Mode running style

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Just saw on nfl network that there could be a new rule voted in, where the RB is flagged for lowering his head when hitting a defender. Will be interesting to see how this is called and how it affects physical running backs.
    Last edited by CPHawk on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• you have got to be kidding me
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Is it the lowering of the head, or just helmet to helmet contact?
    misfit
    NET Starter

• No way that passes.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• This must be a joke, or else let's just pull out the flags.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• misfit wrote:Is it the lowering of the head, or just helmet to helmet contact?

They said lowering the head, and said to help protect them later in life. Again Goddell is on his way to making this two hand touch.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• well we will no longer need Marshawn after this....and you can defend it any way you want but thats ALL this guy does. sorry its just the truth. Its ALL he does, and thats exactly why we love him. Without that he is expendable.

OMG you are understanding whats happening? The Seahawks are actually doing good and this is the NFL's response to knock us back down. DAMN YOU!!
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

• This is merely getting some attention to this to study it and debate it for a few years. It won't pass now but long term we may see some changes

IMHO
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Pretty sure when you lower your shoulder your head will follow . . . not rocket science - figure it out NFL
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

• I'm guessing they mean spearing, which Beast Mode doesn't do. He jukes you out of your jock and you try to grab a leg as he runs by, and if you get one you hang on for a ride... Can't think of too many times he's gone head first into a defender.
    Hawkaholic
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• The Hawks better get the dynasty out of the way now because in a few years this great game we once knew and loved may be ruined. Thanks for nothing Roger!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• How the heck are they going to flag that rule if its 3rd & 1 or goal line situation. Basically the back is literally driving himself into the DL anyway. Stupid rule.
    jake206
    NET Starter

• No way it goes. Thats the purpose of a RB lower your pads and get it.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Hawkaholic wrote:I'm guessing they mean spearing, which Beast Mode doesn't do. He jukes you out of your jock and you try to grab a leg as he runs by, and if you get one you hang on for a ride... Can't think of too many times he's gone head first into a defender.

kthebestwayw wrote:well we will no longer need Marshawn after this....and you can defend it any way you want but thats ALL this guy does. sorry its just the truth. Its ALL he does, and thats exactly why we love him. Without that he is expendable.

Well at least we're all on the same page.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• A "Tame the Beast" rule? DAMNIT! Saints defenders must be behind this. :evil:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Let's just wrap the players in bubble wrap.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think all the players need to strike until Goodell is fired and thrown out the door on his ass.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• They were talking about this on the radio the other day. It would only be in effect when the runner is outside of the tackle box. So would not be in effect on 3rd and 4th adn short situations or when running between the tackles.

They're talking about plays like when Adrian Peterson speared Earl Thomas last year. I think its a good rule personally. And would not effect Beast Mode at all.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• The NFL is becoming a serious joke if this goes through.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Emmet Smith was correct, "This rule doesn't make any sense."
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Don't blame Godell for anything. He isn't suing the league.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:Emmet Smith was correct, "This rule doesn't make any sense."

Emmitt Smith probably isnt smart enough to know what the potential new rule is. Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot? It will have no effect in short yardage situations and will have no effect on beast mode since he rarely leads with his head in the open field, preferring to give monster stiff arms.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot?

Seems reminescent of what MRob did in a game (can't remember which one) where he lowered his head and just ruined a corner...and then immediately went over to see if the guy was alright, looking real concerned. Is that what they're talking about here?
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• gargantual wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot?

Seems reminescent of what MRob did in a game (can't remember which one) where he lowered his head and just ruined a corner...and then immediately went over to see if the guy was alright, looking real concerned. Is that what they're talking about here?

I know the play youre talking about but can't remember if M Rob led with his head or not. The play I remember is Adrian Peterson spearing Early Thomas 20 yards down the field. Pissed ET off pretty badly.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• gargantual wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot?

No. The play you mentioned was a shoulder to shoulder hit on Jennings from the Bears.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I don't like the rule. The enforcement of the current helmet-to-helmet contact rule (the official name escapes me) has been inconsistent at best, and this would be no different, IMO.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    gargantual wrote:

No. The play you mentioned was a shoulder to shoulder hit on Jennings from the Bears.

Yup, that's the one. Da Bears game last year.

I coulda sworn he lowered his head and hit with his helmet. (It made such an impression that maybe my mind was getting it mixed up with that Tatupu hit in the NFCC Game, which was a helmet to helmet cruncher!).

Of course any way getting hit by Michael Robinson would be devastating to take!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Running backs are going to look so STUPID running around with their bodies straight up and down.

If this passes, I will have lost all hope for the future of the NFL.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• It's spearing with your helmet not lowering your shoulders, using the crown of your helmet as a weapon type hit. If your lower your shoulders your head will follow and hit somwhere but not the noticable head dip to use the headbutt.

All that being said in a moment of impact I'm sure the officials will screw this up more then get it right.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Rog and the owners - as good as the game has been to them - what a bunch of scared little boys.

They're so afraid of litigation they'll diminish the NFL until it's unrecognizable. No backbone. No line in the sand. I wish this would come back and bite them somehow, but they're too busy making money hand over to fist to care.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• Basically they want RBs to run like they want defenders to tackle - ie. no leading with the head, which is fine by me. I hate seeing running backs do to wannabee tacklers exactly what they're not allowed to do to the running backs.

Fortunately Lynch doesn't run like that, he puts his head down and runs but he'll never use it to take a defender out (physically, mentally he takes defenders out all the time)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• This rule better not be passed. How is the running back supposed to protect himself if he has to keep his head up and be exposed to shots under the chin?

It makes no sense!
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

• Jerhawk wrote:This rule better not be passed. How is the running back supposed to protect himself if he has to keep his head up and be exposed to shots under the chin?

It makes no sense!

You know how you make people stop leading with their head? Get rid of the helmets. Self preservation instincts will kick in.

As iconic as the football helmet has become to the sport, it has caused (imo) just as many injuries as it has ever prevented.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• So, they are saying the running back should stop and say, you silly savage, you can tackle me after the game? Pathetic does not even describe this.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Horrifying.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:They were talking about this on the radio the other day. It would only be in effect when the runner is outside of the tackle box. So would not be in effect on 3rd and 4th adn short situations or when running between the tackles.

They're talking about plays like when Adrian Peterson speared Earl Thomas last year. I think its a good rule personally. And would not effect Beast Mode at all.

Weak and lame.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• I think this is more in line with their intentions.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:

I think this is more in line with their intentions.

That was in the tackle box so would be allowed within the rules, from what I understand.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• What about a sweep or bubble screen are we talking about only out of the back field , that's just off the top of my head there's to many damn variables JSeahawks . There really making a big mistake if this goes through.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• General Manager wrote:What about a sweep or bubble screen are we talking about only out of the back field , that's just off the top of my head there's to many damn variables JSeahawks . There really making a big mistake if this goes through.

When have you ever seen a guy lead with a helmet on a sweep or a bubble screen? They use stiff arms out in the open field 95% of the time.

i really dont think this rule would have much impact at all.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    General Manager wrote:What about a sweep or bubble screen are we talking about only out of the back field , that's just off the top of my head there's to many damn variables JSeahawks . There really making a big mistake if this goes through.

When have you ever seen a guy lead with a helmet on a sweep or a bubble screen? They use stiff arms out in the open field 95% of the time.

i really dont think this rule would have much impact at all.

Running backs lower there helmut out on the edge all the time they lower there helmut all the time period. RB's run threw people it's what there paid to do . This rule hopefully will not be endorsed.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• The other thing is RB get hit in the legs casing them to lower their head as the fight to stay upright. What are they going to do next, tell the D they can't hit a stumbling RB to keep from a helmet hit from said RB?
    Last edited by CPHawk on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:The other thing is RB get hit in the legs casing them to lower their head as the fight to sty upright. What are they going to do next, tell the d they can't hit a stumbling RB to keep from a helmet hit from said RB?

It's like asking a human being to quit breathing air to save Oxygen. It's not possible to consistantly enforce this rule or for a RB not to lower his helmut.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• Well look for a Pete Banazak run, he was a player that was mean running and if I remember used his head. John Riggens as well, there is a reason a running back has a bleeding scar all season from the helmet gashing his face.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• GoHawks wrote:Pretty sure when you lower your shoulder your head will follow . . . not rocket science - figure it out NFL

EXACTLY! your head is always ahead of your shoulders when moving forward. are they supposed to run backwards?
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Sturm wrote:I think all the players need to strike until Goodell is fired and thrown out the door on his ass.

Or, all the former players need to stop suing the NFL for their "poor health" after football. It goes both ways.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• When they're done rbs are going to have to turn around and run backwards through the line with their pants down.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information