Who will we sign in free agency?

DJrmb

Reaction score
We'll probably be pretty quiet in FA this year as John Schneider has already stated he'd mainly focus on our own guys this year.

However I think we'll definitely bring in a pass rusher or 2 that the market is undervaluing. Pete and John like to sit back and let the market develop on guys then swoop in and snatch up under valued guys. So I could see someone like Richard Seymour or Cullen Jenkins waiting in the wings as teams go after the big names and young hot shots. Desmond Bryant wasn't getting a lot of play but it seems it's ramped up on him recently so we may be out on him. Sammie Lee Hill from Detroit could be another under the radar type guy. I have read that he could be a solid up and coming 3-tech, but the Lions are just so deep on the D-line that he hasn't gotten much playing time. Also don't count out Jason Jones on another 1 year deal.

I think with one of the DT's we'll probably also bring in a DE/OLB type of guy. I liked Freeney but he's been in the headlines a lot and may be out of our range. Osi Umanyiora has kind of been quiet recently so maybe he's a fit. I do like Shaun Phillips too. Guys like Avril and Michael Bennett are interesting but will likely be some of the popular guys. Also Connor Barwin could go either way, if he's neglected in FA I'm interested.

Who we end up with? I think Seymour and Phillips are brought in to compete with some Rookie's we draft and we take the stance "let the best man win".

mikeak

Reaction score
Vince Young, Vince Young, Vince Young

The only problem I see with him is that if we sign him prior to trading Flynn then everyone knows we want to get rid of Flynn and trade value drops.........

Which is why SF made sure they made a deal so that they can sign Vince Young. I expect Charlotte to go after him hard as well

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Imo, Young's ship has already docked and will be shown to not be seaworthy. Head cases don't suddenly change their stripes.

And I'm guessing that John and Pete have already established their values on every FA that they are interested in.

I don't expect them to move fast, but rather to wait and watch as the FAs' prices start coming down to their real values in the league... and then they'll pounce.

I expect at least two Hawks signings toward the end of week 1 of free agency... maybe a bit later than that.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3jtrrvq2 said:
Free agency starts in 5 days. Who do you think we will sign?

I'll go with Desmond Bryant and Brian Hartline.

you really want to sing THIS GUY?

93aiBbq

Tical21

Reaction score
I'd love to see either Urlacher or Ed Reed.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
i would like to see us sign these free agents and make our front seven dominant
1 jason jones
2 Richard Seymour (more athletic branch)
3 john Abraham (pass rush insurance)
4 sammie lee hill (untapped talent)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Wartooth":3ip6wug0 said:
Phil Loadholt | Right Tackle
Team: Minnesota Vikings
Age / DOB: (27) / 1/21/1986
Ht / Wt: 6'8' / 343

Mauler...Good at both run and pass pro...

Louis Vasquez | Guard
Team: San Diego Chargers
Age / DOB: (25) / 4/11/1987
Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 335

These two guys would make our Oline one of the best, if not thee best in the league.
This would make everyone else on the offense better, and help our young star QB stay healthy.
Fingers crossed!

No to Vasquez. He was a turnstile in San diego. Anyway isn't the Saint's left tackle a free agent too? If so I'd think he would be the better get.

penihawk

Reaction score
Desmond Bryant
William Hayes
Osi (loaded with incentives contract)
Jason Jones
Charles Woodson (on the right deal)

Fix the defense with veterans and load the offense in the draft early

warden

Reaction score
Looks like Boldin and the Ravens are going to part ways.

Boldin would be a nice compliment to Rice/Tate

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
We will have two russels Wilson and Jamarcus the 5'10 can teach the 7'0. Haha

mikeak

Reaction score
Victor Cruz or Boldin would be great in my book. If you spend some money there - I think you can spend without overspending Boldin is getting cut from a $6 million deal.........(so would that hit the waiver wire - not sure what our standing is there right now)

If we get those I simply don't see any issues that has to be addressed on the offensive side of the ball.

Which means we have 10 draft picks to focus on the defensive side / trade for better picks - granted there will be some offensive picks but not early on

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35s3sb3r said:
I doubt we make any big signings at all, even though there are a bunch of people I think could really help. I think they will roll over cap space and plan for all the coming big extensions

Agreed 100%. I doubt we will go after any big free agents. I think that the team is looking more forward to the draft and saving cap space to re-sign players next offseason.

mikeak

Reaction score
woodstockme":3hpelqh2 said:

Thanks for posting the link.

The most interesting thing from that read is the bigger picture. The veterans and owners wanted the rookie salary cap in place because first round picks were getting WAY to much money. I don't disagree and I get it look at Bradfords and JaMarcus contracts and they are a joke for unproven player.

What is really interesting is that these LOCKED in rookie contracts for 2nd through 7th round picks like RW and Sherman is changing the landscape for veterans in a way that nobody (that I have read) anticipated.

Stars are getting the big money - Brees, Flacco, Revis etc. That didn't really change except it looks like if anything there is even more room for them.

The grinders the solid to good performers are not getting their money. This is probably a mix of the relatively flat salary cap (consider that contracts are getting more expensive at the tail end and a salary cap that doesn't go up is not a good combination) and the fact that you now get rookies at contracts that are locked in for 3 years very cheaply. Why pay the guy with 8 sacks when you can probably find him in the draft for pennies on the dollar.

It will be an interesting long term development. I personally think they need to put incentive clauses into the CBA for rookie contracts. Fixed amounts based on certain metrics and that would change things to better for everyone

joeshaney

Reaction score
Desmond Bryant and perhaps John Abraham.
With Harvin I don't see spending anything significant on a tight end unless there market is super dry.

Outside shot at Phillip Wheeler to replace Hill or Charles Woodson. We have a lot of draft picks and are good at finding lb's and secondary in the draft so it isn't necessary, but both would be nice pieces.