Cullen Jenkins Signs with Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Who would be a better fit for the Hawks at DT, Jenkins or Desmond Bryant? Who would be more expensive? I really like Bryant and he's younger but I assume he will be fairly expensive, especially with Melton and maybe Starks off the FA market

pinksheets

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3v5bal1a said:
Who would be a better fit for the Hawks at DT, Jenkins or Desmond Bryant? Who would be more expensive? I really like Bryant and he's younger but I assume he will be fairly expensive, especially with Melton and maybe Starks off the FA market
I'm guessing Bryant is the answer on both counts, but he's young and worth it.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would be okay with this as long as we don't give him a lot of dough. Desmond Bryant is the guy I really want.

chris98251

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lobp3ru said:
I'm all for anything we can do in free agency that prevents us from having to use our #1 pick on a defensive linemen for the second straight year.

The offense needs some love in round 1, for once.

Okung, Carp, were round one's so I don't get that statement. Earl and Irvin were our other picks, Earl the same year as Okung, Irvin last year. Where were they suppose to get another first rounder to use on offense. It's been 50/50 so far.

Chawker

Reaction score
I think with the number of teams courting Jenkins and his age factored in to they equation I doubt he will be a seahawk. But he is the type we are looking for.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
chris98251":15p10hie said:
FlyingGreg":15p10hie said:
I'm all for anything we can do in free agency that prevents us from having to use our #1 pick on a defensive linemen for the second straight year.

Okung, Carp, were round one's so I don't get that statement. Earl and Irvin were our other picks, Earl the same year as Okung, Irvin last year. Where were they suppose to get another first rounder to use on offense. It's been 50/50 so far.

Skill players, not linemen. We haven't drafted a WR/TE/RB in round 1 since Stevens 11 years ago.

That's the part to get.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's visiting here on Monday then with the '9ers on Tuesday.

He's been in the league since 2004 and started slowly but has been pretty durable for the past several years. I believe he's had 38.5 sacks since joining the league thus has been averaging 4.27 sacks/yr. he's always been comparatively stout against the run.

At this stage finding a comfortable situation with a potential contending team and $ will be the key factors interesting him. JS knows him well and knows what kind of team guy he is, we could do worse at 3 tech as he'd likely form part of a rotation at DT anyways.

He'd be an interesting add as it would open the draft up some.

kearly

Reaction score
I won't pretend to be an expert on Cullen Jenkins, but I will say this- Seattle has shown time and again to be big fans of old players on 1 year contracts. Lawyer Milloy, Brandon Stokely, Raheem Brock, Marcus Trufant, Leroy Hill, Anthony Hargrove (an eight year vet at 28). They even brought in Terrell Owens last preseason.

And for the most part, the results of those signings have been fantastic from a contribution per dollar perspective. Including the playoffs, we got 10 sacks out of Brock (a career year) for $1 million in salary. Yes please. I thought Hargrove and Milloy had really nice seasons for us in 2011 and 2010 respectively.

I wouldn't expect Seattle to sign him right away. He seems like the kind of signing the team would make several weeks into free agency after some better options fall through.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Why not? Not everyone needs to be young. Once the window for a championship opens it can beneficial to add in some solid vets on short term deals if its the right guys (see Raves: Birk,Boldin,McKinnie)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Jenkins in his prime is exactly what we're looking for. The Eagles released him because he was overpaid. Then again, damn near everyone was overpaid on that team last year.

Jenkins had 4.5 sacks last year, which is more than Jason Jones had. He's also better against the run than Jones. If we could rotate him, maybe give him 2/3 of the snaps, I think he'd be a hell of a get. He started and played a lot of snaps last year for the Eagles, and if I'm not mistaken, he was durable.

The fact that the Niners are after him should say a lot as well. I think he's better technique wise, with more savvy and experience than Desmond Bryant; Bryant just has age on his side, but rumors out of Oakland question his motivation and drive.

As for the whole "we really need to draft a skill player in the 1st because we haven't yet" the FO isn't buying into that for a second. You look at the draft as a whole, and this is the draft where you can supposedly get a guy like Swope or Bailey in the 3rd. If I'm getting one of those guys in the 3rd, why the heck wouldn't I want to scoop up an elite 3 tech DT, rush end, or WLB talent earlier ?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Packers run D took a big hit with the loss of Jenkins. Raji looked really good paired with Jenkins, human without him. He was never a good fit for the wide 9 in Philly.

Most definitely, he would be here to fill the Branch spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2avm5tj5 said:
chris98251":2avm5tj5 said:
FlyingGreg":2avm5tj5 said:

Skill players, not linemen. We haven't drafted a WR/TE/RB in round 1 since Stevens 11 years ago.

That's the part to get.

Well we may not have drafted but we did go get them, Rice, Lynch, Miller. How can you look at it as not being taken care of, doesn't matter how it matters was it. I think we did ok with those positions so far.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anything that lets us go BPA this year. That's how to find us a superstar at DT instead of a "need pick" forced into the role.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
chris98251":xe9plc6l said:
Well we may not have drafted but we did go get them, Rice, Lynch, Miller. How can you look at it as not being taken care of, doesn't matter how it matters was it. I think we did ok with those positions so far.

Yes ... but it would be nice to draft a young stud to grow with Wilson. He and Tate are developing a nice rapport, but I think we need a big, strong guy or even Tavon Austin.

Rice is really good, but not dominating. Lynch is a workhorse racking up carries on his way towards the twilight of his career. Miller is rock solid, but not explosive or dynamic.

We added Robert Turbin last year to help take the load off of Lynch. It would be nice to infuse the offense with a potential game breaker at WR or TE. Pete and John have made no secret of their desire to add touchdown makers. Only 3 of 10 picks in 2012 were offensive players, and one of those (Sweezy) was a defender when drafted and then converted.

Just my opinion - we address the D primarily through free agency and give the offense some love in the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if we can get the defense pass rush fixed were close to being in a position to target a player or skill set for explosive quality. Those are scary in so many look the part but once in the NFL have a problem playing the part. A Fitzgerald type guy would cost a lot to move up and get if we continue our success. But that would be the kind of player I would look for before I would want to make a move up. Otherwise like Hutch and Alexander you luck into them falling due to other teams drafting for need. We reached up for Robinson and saw what it got us, there was another WR that same draft taken ahead of him that was also a bust. That is the problem I would worry about.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jenkins would be a great fit, scheme wise, and locker room wise. He is not too old to have 2 or 3 more productive years. He'd bring some leadership, and would be an upgrade over Branch. I'd love to keep Branch and get Jenkins.

I think Bryant has a higher ceiling, will want a long term contract and will be much more expensive. With SF's interest in Jenkins I think we should do what we ahve to do to keep Jenkins in Seattle even if it is a little more than we wanted to pay. A 3 year deal that allows us an out after 2 and not cost us more than $5Mil this year and I'm all in. Jenkins will get sacks but will cause the disruption that you can't see with stats and that's something we really need.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2jloirfc said:
chris98251":2jloirfc said:

Yes ... but it would be nice to draft a young stud to grow with Wilson. He and Tate are developing a nice rapport, but I think we need a big, strong guy or even Tavon Austin.

Rice is really good, but not dominating. Lynch is a workhorse racking up carries on his way towards the twilight of his career. Miller is rock solid, but not explosive or dynamic.

We added Robert Turbin last year to help take the load off of Lynch. It would be nice to infuse the offense with a potential game breaker at WR or TE. Pete and John have made no secret of their desire to add touchdown makers. Only 3 of 10 picks in 2012 were offensive players, and one of those (Sweezy) was a defender when drafted and then converted.

Just my opinion - we address the D primarily through free agency and give the offense some love in the draft.

I'm with you I want to get some young weapons to grown with RW. Tate could walk next year in FA and I'd love some insurance for Miller and Rice.

Spokane

Reaction score
I wanted to bring him in and if he becomes a Seahawk he will improve the team. But I am smelling the old SPRT (Seattle Pay Raise Trip)

As of a couple of days ago he was set up for at least 6 visits to NFL teams. I think P and J will offer him a fair contract, but some desperate team could very well over pay. He will be leaning towards the bigger stack of gold.

A 2 year deal would be ideal for filling a need with a solid player. I don't see it tho. I am thinking more of a CJ walks out with a Seahawk hat on backwards ending like that one guy.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Still a decent player at this point, but not worth the money Philly gave him and Chip Kelly wants to go young and mold his own group. If Jenkins were to sign here there is no guarantee he would make the team a la most of the other older FAs we've brought in. While he's played a lot of games the last couple years he also hasn't been healthy and like most older players that's probably going to be a downhill trend.

Looking to add a DT in the draft at 3 tech and I also think there's a good chance that Jaye Howard puts that top athletic ability he had in last year's combine to work under Quinn, who was his coach in Florida.

If Jenkins were to not only sign, but make the team then that means we failed at one of the other two options and that I don't care for.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ict9h04 said:
Anything that lets us go BPA this year. That's how to find us a superstar at DT instead of a "need pick" forced into the role.

I hate BPA as a term. It oversimplifies the whole process. Not picking on you at all, but thinking like this caused us to sign Housh for big bucks and draft Aaron Curry over Michael Crabtree. A universal "BPA" is something Mel Kiper believes in. I think it's a crock full of shit, personally.

Also, a 32 year old player wouldn't change Seattle's draft plans. DT is looking relatively thin this year- Seattle needs to grab one very early if they want a good one. WR and TE can definitely wait til later. Both are very deep groups. Seattle would probably need to go DT in round one if they wanted to assure themselves any of the three best options (Short, Richardson, Jones).

Sadly, the NFL is catching on to Seattle's valuation methods and our types of players will be going much earlier than usual in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.