Cullen Jenkins Signs with Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":k2cq7jgm said:
MontanaHawk05":k2cq7jgm said:
Anything that lets us go BPA this year. That's how to find us a superstar at DT instead of a "need pick" forced into the role.

I hate BPA as a term. It oversimplifies the whole process. Not picking on you at all, but thinking like this caused us to sign Housh for big bucks and draft Curry for big bucks over Michael Crabtree.

Also, a 32 year old player wouldn't change Seattle's draft plans. DT is looking relatively thin this year- Seattle needs to grab one very early if they want a good one. WR and TE can definitely wait til later. Both are very deep groups. Seattle would probably need to go DT in round one if they wanted to assure themselves any of the three best options (Short, Richardson, Jones).

Sadly, the NFL is catching on to Seattle's valuation methods and our types of players will be going much earlier than usual in this draft.

I disagree Kearly, they may be able to see a type but making it work will be a different story. I was one of those that was knocking Pete on his Rah Rah style, now after seeing it I don't think it's Rah Rah but one of opportunity and positive reinforcement. Vey few teams will open the competition up like we do. That will itself cause failurs of teams tryijng to do what we do. Pete speaks it, lives it, and executes it. Most teams front offices won't have the vision that John and Pete share, most staffs won't feel comfortable putting a high priced vet on the bench if a rookie is playing better and is a lower round pick.

That type of commitment to a philosophy is what makes Seattles system work. The player types are those that fits Petes system and his coaches also, other systems may not look at the same skill set Pete looks at when he and staff grade players. Wilson and Irvins success brought the spotlight on us since most experts thought they were not impact players.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There are quite a few DTs I like in this draft and IMO it would be a waste not to take advantage this year. I'd like to replace McDonald in the draft as well.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
vin.couve12":nfehu848 said:
I'd like to replace McDonald in the draft as well.

Definitely! It is no mystery that our defense seems to take a step back when McDonald is in. The funny thing is that he is still better than Jennings.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":169c652j said:
......Vey few teams will open the competition up like we do. That will itself cause failurs of teams tryijng to do what we do. Pete speaks it, lives it, and executes it. Most teams front offices won't have the vision that John and Pete share, most staffs won't feel comfortable putting a high priced vet on the bench if a rookie is playing better and is a lower round pick.

That type of commitment to a philosophy is what makes Seattles system work. The player types are those that fits Petes system and his coaches also, other systems may not look at the same skill set Pete looks at when he and staff grade players. Wilson and Irvins success brought the spotlight on us since most experts thought they were not impact players.

Agree 100%. How many other teams would've put Flynn on the bench and started RW last year? Probably one, Hardouche and the Whiners (Crapperneck over Smith as proof he'd do it). Otherwise playing it safe is what nearly all franchises do. Good post man.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":rcm4532o said:
vin.couve12":rcm4532o said:

Definitely! It is no mystery that our defense seems to take a step back when McDonald is in. The funny thing is that he is still better than Jennings.

Wasn't McDonald the backup to Jones in pass rush situations? Somewhat makes sense that you would have a drop-off when you don't have your 1st stringer.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Basis4day":km2gzwfp said:
CurryStopstheRuns":km2gzwfp said:
vin.couve12":km2gzwfp said:

Wasn't McDonald the backup to Jones in pass rush situations? Somewhat makes sense that you would have a drop-off when you don't have your 1st stringer.

I believe that was Scruggs. McDonald gave Mebane a breather if I remember correctly.

Brahn

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport of NFL.com passes along word that the visit with Seattle went well on Monday, and that in addition to checking in with the Niners while he's in the Bay Area, he'll also spend some time with the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday. Quite efficient.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'd love a signing like this. Like someone said above, it offers insurance and flexibility in the draft. The front office wouldn't be forced into drafting the first DT on their board (ignoring other higher-rated, BPA needs).

Even with a signing like this, they are still going to draft a DT early in the draft, but they can do so in the 2nd or 3rd instead of having to do it in the first.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah, Jenkins would be a solid addition on a shorter term deal. It's nice that he's not just a "situational guy" too. He provides some pass rush and can collapse the pocket on passing plays but he is also known as a very capable run stuffer as well. I just hope the price is right.

drdiags

Reaction score
Didn't see him going to the Giants. Thought he was going to return to Green Bay. Guess not. He just signed for 3 years, $8M, $3M guaranteed.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
So I wonder how that sets the market for Richard Seymore or Dez Bryant. Probably more of what Seymore can expcet as Byrant is younger and due a bigger paycheck. I'm really starting to think we need to open the checkbook for Bryant. If we can get Bryant and an old DE like Abraham, Osi, or Freeney we will have done plenty to make me happy.

I hope we Sign Dez Bryant for about a 5 year 35 Mil and I'd be ecstatic. (Mebane 5y $25m/Red Byrant 5y $35m)
Then add an old DE for $2-$4m per for either 1 or 2 years and I'd be happy.

I expect next year for Big Red, Zach Miller, and Sidney Rice to restructure or get cut, this will allow for us to resign some of the young core guys. No way all 3 of those guy see the amount due to them, there will be more cap space than we are projecting next year, so opening the checkbook to solidify our DT position this off-season with a guy like Dez Bryant would be a big move I could get behind.

Paying big money for Mike Wallace or Cliff Avril I would not be good with.

Status
Not open for further replies.