Mike Salk headed back to Boston... huge bummer

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I am reaaaally bummed. Mike Salk is an amazing broadcaster, and really the YIN to Brock's Yang. Easily my favorite radio show. Damn.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

• I can't believe how many people get bummed. Really? Are we that dependant on a dude on the radio that during his absence we are bummed?

Really? Some of you might just need to put it all in perspective.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I just think its because of the chemistry that Salk had with Huard, that and the fact that I can't find another sports radio show in town thats as good as the Brock & Salk show.

Softy's corny, Mitch in the Morning is okay, sometimes its funny but I could live without Hugh Millen talking like he knows what actually went on, Elise and Jerry DO NOT GET ME STARTED!

and on 710 its not much better, just a little bit, Bob & Groz are kinda boring, and I barely ever turned on the Colabro show or whatever it is now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Tech Worlds wrote:I can't believe how many people get bummed. Really? Are we that dependant on a dude on the radio that during his absence we are bummed?

Really? Some of you might just need to put it all in perspective.

In the perspective of following the Seahawks as a fan and as my hobby, yes i'm bummed.
    Work is that much better when i can listen to people talk hawks.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Brock and Salk was BY FAR the best show for Hawk talk. It was not even close. Especially when you consider everything KJR does is tainted by the presence of Hugh Millen. B&S were Seahawks all the time, every day during football season. Great x's and o's talk without going over fans heads for the sake of sounding smart (cough*Millen*cough).

Brock and Salk had really good chemistry. They made me laugh as much as they made me think. I like Brock a goo deal. But I think he loses a lot without Salk actually. Their opposite personalities while sharing a similar sense of humor really worked.

Sorry, Dom. You're on you're own on this one. I'll take actually talented outsiders who take to our city over time (which Salk did) over lesser talented locals. I'll take a Mitch or Salk any day over a Softy or Dick Fain.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• He's was too talented to stay here forever.......I kind of figured eventually this would happen. I can't stand the majority of the other guys on 710 and especially 950. Sad.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• To be honest, I wasn't all that surprised when I saw the tweets/rumors, because he's from Boston. Was only a matter of time.
    MissoulaHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• I agree this was inevitable. I thought for sure he would go national after Seattle and I still think he will. Boston is a stepping stone for him too even if it is his home town.

Please stop naming former/current athletes that you want to pair with Brock. You can't have all "jocks" on a radio show. You need at least one "radio guy" and that is the harder job to fill. The real dream show would be Salk and Hasselbeck. That would be all-time great.

Why is this so important to us? Because Seahawks games are on only once a week at most. The other ~347 days a year we have to cram Seahawks into our heads somehow. And I can't post here while I'm driving.

I like Softy. Brock and Softy would be fine with me. Or Brock and Ian or Brock and Mitch. Even better, find some really good "radio guy" who I have never heard before, like I had never heard of Mike Salk. Maybe there's one in Seattle; maybe we need another import.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• Has he officially announced this himself yet? It's obviously happening, too much information out there, but I haven't heard a statement from him on air, online or even a tweet acknowledging it. They are still pumping the St. Patty's Day trip as well, so clearly he isn't fleeing instantly.
    brendonkuhn
    NET Practice Squad

• brendonkuhn wrote:Has he officially announced this himself yet? It's obviously happening, too much information out there, but I haven't heard a statement from him on air, online or even a tweet acknowledging it. They are still pumping the St. Patty's Day trip as well, so clearly he isn't fleeing instantly.

Darn. Was hoping he was gone already.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• a MEGA bummer for me personally. I have been religeously listening to Brock & Salk podcasts on a daily basis for nearly 2 years now.
    I was sooo looking forward to hear them live on the radio when I finally move to Seattle in March... Salk will be greately missed...
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

• I can listen to just about anyone but Mahler. How he's been on the air all these years will never cease to baffle me.

Salk is good, but sometimes he plays the outsider card a bit much. He pretty much dismisses XL because he wasn't around then.
    * NET Staff *

• Salk made his official announcement today. It was sad. He won't be leaving for a few weeks but it sounds like we will be listening to his replacement in the weeks before the draft.

Hilariously, you can go read the job posting for his job. Clearly they are looking for a "radio guy" to replace him, and not another athlete like Brock. That makes me happy.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• LawHawk wrote:Salk made his official announcement today. It was sad. He won't be leaving for a few weeks but it sounds like we will be listening to his replacement in the weeks before the draft.

Hilariously, you can go read the job posting for his job. Clearly they are looking for a "radio guy" to replace him, and not another athlete like Brock. That makes me happy.

Better to have that balance. (Please not Gas Man, Please not Gas Man)
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Great news! Get outta town Boston boy!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I'm thinking Mitch Levy is on the ESPN 710 payroll, as it is almost unbearable to listen to his show and forces me to change to Mike and Mike.
    soxhawk
    NET Rookie

• LawHawk wrote:

Sports radio is kinda like the booth, if it's a team they want one radio guy and one athlete.......rarely do you see two athletes.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like Salk is fire up to be returning home to hockey

"For a kid who grew up rooting for Boston's sports teams, I can't wait to get behind that microphone and connect with the most avid sports fans in the country," Salk said. "From the best play-by-play in radio to their breakthrough work with the Jimmy Fund, WEEI is still the gold standard in sports talk radio.

"I'm especially excited to talk Bruins hockey. I grew up a rabid Bruins fan and have great memories from the old Boston Garden. My wife might not know it yet, but our 1-year old daughter will be wearing a lot of black and gold in the future."
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• They should totally hire a basketball guy, that way it'd be nothing but basketball & football, and no more boring baseball talk.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• No KJR retreads. I would like someone that really knows football. I understand the walrus is moving back to Seattle ....
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• I would be okay with Gas or Mitch or Ian Furness or Softy. Those guys are all so much better than Bob and Groz or Kevin Calabro and Jim Moore.

Even better, bring in someone like Salk! Someone really great that's in another city right now. Hopefully this is considered a good job, since it ended up being very successful towards the end (in my opinion because Salk was so good on the radio).
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• Not a huge fan of the Bostononian jabronie. There is no faking it. He is NOT a true Seahawk fan and I never accepted him as such. On the other hand Huard is a badass and he'll be fine without him. Having said that, I wish him the best of luck moving foward.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• Why do they need to be a Seahawks fan?

Surely this is just about highlighting the talking points of the day, presenting in the right manner and generating debate? Plus being able to deliver a great interview with Pete Carroll. Salk did all of those things.

We don't need to hear a fan banging his chest and getting worked up like we all do after a defeat. We need perspective, someone who can see past the hysteria and make a reasoned case. Who cares whether that means the person is from Seattle, Boston, the moon, wherever?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Why do they need to be a Seahawks fan?

Surely this is just about highlighting the talking points of the day, presenting in the right manner and generating debate? Plus being able to deliver a great interview with Pete Carroll. Salk did all of those things.

We don't need to hear a fan banging his chest and getting worked up like we all do after a defeat. We need perspective, someone who can see past the hysteria and make a reasoned case. Who cares whether that means the person is from Seattle, Boston, the moon, wherever?

:13:
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• I like Seahawks fans that are objective with their analysis. Sports Hernia will probably have himself a little liberal stroke at this, but a large part of why I like Dori Monson is his straightforward attitude when discussing the Seahawks on the radio pregame and postgame shows on 710 ESPN. He's not afraid to call anybody out, and he doesn't pick us to win all the time; though that may change this year, because now we're a very-good-turning-into-elite team that expects to win every game.

I definitely dislike homer sports personalities, though.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• razgriz737 wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?

This x1000.

Somebody make this happen!

I dunno? I would feel bad for a couple of our local guys having to describe Wilson's performances both knowing that they could never have done what he does so effortlessly.
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• I agree that the hosts should be "fans" in the sense that they pay very close attention to the games, because that's their job, but they should be able to be objective when we're not.

That said, if you want a guy who's a fan, who in the universe was a bigger fan of Russell Wilson than Mike Salk? He said, on the air, that he would be okay with taking Wilson with the #12 overall pick. Before the Patriots game, before the KC pre-season game, before the draft. As much as some people here can claim to have been early adopters of Wilsonism, I do not know of one other person who said on the record Wilson could be the #12 overall pick and they'd be happy with it - before the draft.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• Too bad he's going, one of the better radio guys in the area by far. I actually enjoyed the fact that he wasn't from here and didn't wear the rose colored glasses all the time. Nice to have an outside view on our teams.

Good luck Mike.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• does this mike salk catch, run, or defend? didn't think so...so who cares...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• Keep in mind guys that Salk's replacement will be a ''radio guy'' and probably a ''baseball guy'' since Brock is obviously the football guy.
    Harperville
    NET Practice Squad

• Losing Salk is a huge blow to Seattle sports fans, no doubt about it but it was pretty inevitable if you really think about it. It's a shame that Sandmeyer just signed on with the Fan otherwise I think he and Brock would make a wonderful duo.
    SuperHawks
    NET Starter

• Does anyone even listen to the Fan? lol I know I haven't even thought about tuning into that because there's only one local joke.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• We just lost half of the original thought on local sports radio. Bummer. He was good. Actually said a few things from time to time that aren't obvious to the knowledgeable sports fan. Mitch is the only one left, and now you have to put up with Dick Fain to listen to him. Mitch and Salk are actually very similar. Actually some creative, intellectual thought. The day Brock Huard says something profound will be the first time. I like Danny O'Neil, but he isn't close to being able to carry a show the way Salk does. They're going to have to get another transplant, hopefully they hit on another up-and-comer. There isn't anybody local that does anything for me, outside of maybe Jim Moore, who is already pretty firmly set onto the afternoon drive. I still miss David Locke. What to do now? Please bring in somebody good!!
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• SuperHawks wrote:Losing Salk is a huge blow to Seattle sports fans, no doubt about it but it was pretty inevitable if you really think about it. It's a shame that Sandmeyer just signed on with the Fan otherwise I think he and Brock would make a wonderful duo.

Praying this is sarcasm.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information