John Schneider not named top executive of the year

Screaming Seahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2u1a6uh0 said:
Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

Kind of rings hollow for me. This snub reminds me of what the Academy Awards does all the time, anointing a flavor of the month film over an obvious all time classic. The Colts had the underlying indicators of a sub .500 team. It is possible, not likely but possible, that Grigson may not even have a job 5 years from now while Schneider is very likely to be the consensus top GM in the league. It wouldn't be the first time this award has looked pretty stupid in retrospect.

ensett

Reaction score
the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.

joeshaney

Reaction score
ensett":3mq7n5t3 said:
the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.

Schneider had to overcome the same thing. The difference is that the Colts GM inherited 3 future hall of fame players and the top pick guaranteed to land the chosen one Andrew Luck.

Schneider inherited a pile of turds too thick to flush.
No teams over the last few drafts have done half as much as he has. He filled a crappy roster with oodles of probowlers and all-pros and didn't have to have any number one overall picks to do it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3pevwg9s said:
Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

If you want to be honest, also bring up the cupcake schedule the Colts had, and having the #1 overall pick which they only got because Curtis Painter's a worse QB than my cat.

John Schneider, on the other hand, was so convinced of what Russell Wilson turned out to be, that he wanted to draft him in the 2nd round instead of the 3rd, and Papa Pete had to talk him down. Just like Elway signing Peyton, it's a move a brain-dead moron would have made, too. Well, even if the Colts didn't, they'd have been fine with RG3 and likely would have made him be more of a passer than the Redskins; but I digress.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
joeshaney":156q37gi said:
-The Glove-":156q37gi said:
Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.

Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.
Pretty much

DavidSeven

Reaction score
All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

Can't have it both ways.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1o5wponm said:
All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

Can't have it both ways.

WINNER!!!! :thirishdrinkers:

Greenhell

Reaction score
DavidSeven":104gv1pq said:

Can't have it both ways.

JACKPOT!

grizrgood

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":gjiunhyy said:
These kinds of accolades usually precede a fall off in performance for executives in other businesses. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but at least we don't have to find out the hard way. Being the best is better than being named the best.

Love it!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Yakima Hawkster":rrkyif5k said:
Sorry Blueandgreen I disagree. ROY decision could rightfully favor any one of the three QB's. But executive? No way. Schneider should've won hands down.

To be fair the Colts GM made massive additions to the roster. 6 of their draft picks played very significant roles in their offense. The had rookie QB, RB, 2-TE's, 2-WR's. Pretty good haul.

Though I think it's hard to overlook 1) OROY candidate Russell Wilson (Best value in the entire draft), 2) DROY candidate Bobby Wagner, 3) Rookie Sack leader Bruce Irvin.

Than you add in Turbin, Guy (at end of year), Sweezy, Scruggs, and Lane and I think you have the most complete draft in the league in terms of contributors.

razgriz737

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ybjkdyz said:

Can't have it both ways.
That really is an excellent point.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":39pdg3ji said:

Can't have it both ways.

Kudos on pointing out the doublethink.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yakima Hawkster":2zlhda9n said:
Colts GM wins.
Of course he would, he took a team that purposely tanked a Season so the Colts would get Andrew Luck to replace FHOF P. Manning, so nothing the bullsh*t folks do anymore, surprises me in the least. :pukeface:
:141847_bnono: Isn't it miraculous how the Colts turned it all around in just one Season? :141847_bnono: :pukeface:

mikeak

Reaction score
Here is the biggest irony of it all to me.

Luck for Rookie of the Year argument -- he did it all himself. Didn't have any help. Such a great rookie - just crap around him rookies etc. RG3 and RW had much better personnel around him

Ryan Grigson - Executive of the Year argument - Assembled such a great team. Managed to move so many pieces into one place and it wasn't about making the obvious number one pick it was about all those other great pieces coming together.......

EDIT: Nevermind just saw that DavidSeven beat me to it and I agree!!!

Barthawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fk1ytge said:
Congratulations to the Colts GM for having the guts to make the most obvious move in the last 20 years of football.

Take over for a team that gave up midway through last season in order to secure the draft status.. they tanked the season last year so the cupboard was not nearly as bare as many thought..

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Why would you give an award for being Pete's lackey?

The award for best guy to pick up Pete's dry cleaning, draft players Pete tells him to draft, sharpen Pete's pencils, Pick out flowers and a nice romantic card and some chocolates and sign Pete's name to the card and make dinner reservations for Pete's wife's birthday, oh and get her something sexy like some panties or something, I don't know what size she is, Jesus John should I get Idzik to do it.

Latest posts