Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2xme5e0c said:
I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.

This. Our current talent has been used properly. Quin and Bradley don't take snaps. We need to add horses to get a pass rush in the base set.

BASF

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":1lbgt5ae said:
BASF":1lbgt5ae said:
Strengthening the Seahawks and hurting the Florida Gators! This has got to be my favorite transaction we have ever made. This! This makes up for giving up the rights to Tony Dorsett for me.
What's your beef with Florida?

FSU fan, hating the Gators is almost as ingrained as hating the Hurricanes.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2ve161n0 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2ve161n0 said:
I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.

This. Our current talent has been used properly. Quin and Bradley don't take snaps. We need to add horses to get a pass rush in the base set.

Yep. I think Alan Branch has been great at 3-tech in the running situations. We just need the 3-tech that can collapse the pocket and get in the backfield when they pass. In those 3rd and medium situations (3rd&6 to 3rd&4), I'd almost like to see us move Branch out to the 5-tech and bring in a quicker guy like Scruggs, Jaye Howard or Jones (if he stays) to play 3-tech. Though he might not be the run stuffer that Red is, Branch just seems a lot quicker off the snap than Red to me. But it all hinges on a 3-tech getting into the backfield.

A 3-tech! A 3-tech! My kingdome for a pass rushing 3-tech!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if we draft a UF defensive line player now, I won't be.

NYCoug

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":3nxp4bs9 said:

Funny you say that, Florida DT Sharrif Floyd declared for the draft. I'm not too blown away by him, but what do I know. He fills an area of need, has untapped potential, and a connection to Quinn. Doubt he's the pick though but ya never know.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":k4i6rwc8 said:

I'm OK with drafting lineman for depth, but personally I'd like to see us go after free agent line help.

The Hawks are past their "potential" years where we're building for the future. The future is NOW with this team, so I want to see players coming in here ready to help NOW, not 2-3 year draft projects.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28lqnwp6 said:
AF_Hawk":28lqnwp6 said:

I'm OK with drafting lineman for depth, but personally I'd like to see us go after free agent line help.

The Hawks are past their "potential" years where we're building for the future. The future is NOW with this team, so I want to see players coming in here ready to help NOW, not 2-3 year draft projects.

Sometimes, in the right system and if he's talented enough, you don't have to wait for excellent production from a rookie. We saw that with Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson, especially Wagner, this season. This is a very talented defense, and if someone like Richardson fell or if the Hawks traded up for him, he might be able to have a Wagner like season from the DT spot. Sure, there'll be rookie mistakes along the way, but the rest of the talent on D should be able to hide them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NYCoug":3rbvfv2r said:
Sometimes, in the right system and if he's talented enough, you don't have to wait for excellent production from a rookie. We saw that with Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson, especially Wagner, this season. This is a very talented defense, and if someone like Richardson fell or if the Hawks traded up for him, he might be able to have a Wagner like season from the DT spot. Sure, there'll be rookie mistakes along the way, but the rest of the talent on D should be able to hide them.

I kind of agree with you, but I do think D-Line is different than the LB, or even DB position. Very few lineman can come right into the league and excel, because so much of line play is predicated on leverage, technique and mastery of schemes.

LB's and DB's also need good technique, but they can get away with more because they have the space to use their athleticism and speed. Not so on the line, you HAVE TO be sound with technique and scheme............Irvin is a perfect example of that. All the athletic talent and speed in the world, but struggled 75% of the time because of his poor technique and understanding of scheme.

Anyway, I'm not saying don't draft lineman. Just saying I'd be more excited with us going out and getting one of the top lineman free agents than drafting a lineman because I know it'll probably be a few years before they're starting (if at all on this team).

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2uch0ilp said:
NYCoug":2uch0ilp said:

I kind of agree with you, but I do think D-Line is different than the LB, or even DB position. Very few lineman can come right into the league and excel, because so much of line play is predicated on leverage, technique and mastery of schemes.

LB's and DB's also need good technique, but they can get away with more because they have the space to use their athleticism and speed. Not so on the line, you HAVE TO be sound with technique and scheme............Irvin is a perfect example of that. All the athletic talent and speed in the world, but struggled 75% of the time because of his poor technique and understanding of scheme.

Anyway, I'm not saying don't draft lineman. Just saying I'd be more excited with us going out and getting one of the top lineman free agents than drafting a lineman because I know it'll probably be a few years before they're starting (if at all on this team).

Why pay top dollar for a guy that has something lacking be it injury or maybe a good year left and be strapped for a contract. Winstrom is a good example of that. Getting a guy like Clem is better someone that isn't used to his highest potential or in the wrong position for his skill set. He is cheaper and already has a NFL body typically.

The go for the name like Seymor has bit this team since it's inception, I would think that after being bitten 25 or so times you would wise up and quit being a pawn shop for the rest of the leagues retirement programs.

drdiags

Reaction score
Eric Davis said something today on NFLAM when debating an Atlanta broadcaster. The Atlanta guy was disputing the fact that the 9ers would be physical against the Falcons and punch them in the mouth. The Atlanta guy countered that he heard the same stuff last week against the Seahawks and turns out it wasn't an issue. Davis stated that the Seahawks are physical in their backend with the secondary while the 9ers are physical in their front 7 (though Dashon and Whitner are pretty physical as well).

I tend to agree with Eric's analysis. I kept hearing about how physical the Seahawks defense was but besides Mebane and Clemons, the front 7 wasn't an outstanding physical defense to me. I hope Quinn can finish the job with this defense and get the DL operating at a higher level. He tried when Cole was here but after that Raiders game they were like tissue paper. A impactful LB along with a disruptive DT and another DE that can rush but hold up against the run will help him.

Until we have a front 7 that can hold its own against all comers, the Lombardi isn't a given. Was surprising last year when the majority of the draft was defense. This year, unless a game changer is available at WR, I am not going to be tripping if all the majority of the resources are spent on that side of the ball again.

drdiags

Reaction score
BTW, JS and PC state that they would never draft under the guise of the future is now. I also assume that holds for FA as well. Now back to the thread.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
12th_Bob":3cmt6g8w said:
Woohoo! Now get that D Line playing great again!
He's good, but not magic. Hopefully Schneider can add a couple of good horses to the stable to help him out. I really feel like Pete and Gus maximized our current players' strengths through scheme, but that only goes so far with present talent. Think about it. We had an overall weak pass rush but still managed to have a top 5 D in most categories. Our run D wasn't very stout either. To be ranked so highly and allow the fewest points per game is testament to good coaching, so don't get pie in the sky expectations about Quinn unless players are added that make us better.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2b9bj7o7 said:
... so don't get pie in the sky expectations about Quinn unless players are added that make us better.
What I like is Quinn's D-line background coupled with the fact that the Hawks D-line play is an area in need of an upgrade.

With Pete and John's help, Dan will get the job done... and done right.

In Pete and John (... and now Dan), I trust. :th2thumbs:

themunn

Reaction score
drdiags":118dqk3g said:
Eric Davis said something today on NFLAM when debating an Atlanta broadcaster. The Atlanta guy was disputing the fact that the 9ers would be physical against the Falcons and punch them in the mouth. The Atlanta guy countered that he heard the same stuff last week against the Seahawks and turns out it wasn't an issue. Davis stated that the Seahawks are physical in their backend with the secondary while the 9ers are physical in their front 7 (though Dashon and Whitner are pretty physical as well).

I tend to agree with Eric's analysis. I kept hearing about how physical the Seahawks defense was but besides Mebane and Clemons, the front 7 wasn't an outstanding physical defense to me. I hope Quinn can finish the job with this defense and get the DL operating at a higher level. He tried when Cole was here but after that Raiders game they were like tissue paper. A impactful LB along with a disruptive DT and another DE that can rush but hold up against the run will help him.

Until we have a front 7 that can hold its own against all comers, the Lombardi isn't a given. Was surprising last year when the majority of the draft was defense. This year, unless a game changer is available at WR, I am not going to be tripping if all the majority of the resources are spent on that side of the ball again.

I'd say our front 7 is just as physical as the 49ers, just look at the niners game as a perfect example

hawk45

Reaction score
Kidding me that our D line is as physical as the 9ers. It's true that when we had the 9ers at home the front 7 played lights out, but when we were at San Fran they blew holes so wide open for Gore that I could have rushed for a hundred yards. So between the 2 games it's a push.

The 9ers have shown the ability to take their physical line on the road and generate pressure, something that we have not done all season. We've won road games, but against quality opponents the road wins haven't been because of defensive pressure by a long shot, and nobody's going to claim that we dominated the Skins in the trenches. Basically the Skins kept a gimpy QB in and handicapped their run game themselves, and even then we got to Griffin what, once?

Have to agree with DrDiags and Eric Davis. Physical in the secondary, good on the Dline, but not physically dominant there.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawk45":31gsbniv said:
Kidding me that our D line is as physical as the 9ers. It's true that when we had the 9ers at home the front 7 played lights out, but when we were at San Fran they blew holes so wide open for Gore that I could have rushed for a hundred yards. So between the 2 games it's a push.

The 9ers have shown the ability to take their physical line on the road and generate pressure, something that we have not done all season. We've won road games, but against quality opponents the road wins haven't been because of defensive pressure by a long shot, and nobody's going to claim that we dominated the Skins in the trenches. Basically the Skins kept a gimpy QB in and handicapped their run game themselves, and even then we got to Griffin what, once?

Have to agree with DrDiags and Eric Davis. Physical in the secondary, good on the Dline, but not physically dominant there.

My sentiments exactly. Our DL generally didn't play well on the road. The crowd noise at home helped them out by causing opposing offenses to slow down, dumb down and miscommunicate. Adding a big thumper at DT will make a big difference. Alan Branch is slight improvement over Cole, but far from what we need.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Quinn's deal is for 3 years/$5.7M. The AAV is greater than that of a few NFL head coaches, and nearly 4x what he made last season at Florida in base salary ($510K; $490K in 2011).

morgulon1

Reaction score
sadhappy":lq4hqy6j said:
Works for me.

They crapped the bed in the bowl game, but he had that gator defense playing some very good football last year, well above what was expected from the unit.

I think he had the Gators defense ranked #2 in the nation.