Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Scottemojo wrote:Dan Quinn has two season of evaluating and watching film in the SEC. And two seasons of sitting in 18 year old kids living rooms while recruiting.

I really like that. that could pay dividends over the next several years.

+1 great point.
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

• CANHawk wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Love this move, now hopefully Bevell stays and we can focus on FA and the draft

Yeah, as thrilled as I am about the Dan Quinn signing, I really don't want to see Bevell go anywhere. I think the continuity in the coaching staff next year will be important for the offense and for Wilson.

Is Bevell even in play anywhere now that Trestman is in Chicago?

Arizona?
    canfan
    NET Rookie

• If he hangs around a couple years - this could pay serious dividends.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:If he hangs around a couple years - this could pay serious dividends.

Yeah, hopefully he's not here just one year then leaves for head coach....
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• I think this is an excellent move for continuity and he has done a fine job
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Coaching Experience

2011-12

Florida (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)

2009-10

Seattle Seahawks (Defensive Line)

2007-08

New York Jets (Defensive Line)

2005-06

Miami Dolphins (Defensive Line)

2003-04

San Francisco 49ers (Defensive Line)

2001-02

San Francisco 49ers (Defensive Quality Control)

Hofstra (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)

1996-99

Hofstra (Defensive Line)

Virginia Military Institute (Defensive Line)

William & Mary (Defensive Line)

Coaching Accomplishments

Has 18 years of coaching experience, including 10 seasons in the NFL and eight as an NFL defensive line coach.
    In 2011, led a Gator defense that ranked eighth nationally in total defense (299.5 yards per game), seventh in passing defense (166.8 yards per game) and second in third-down defense (27.12 percent).
    Prior to his first season in Gainesville, Quinn spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks as defensive line coach and has spent eight NFL seasons as a defensive line coach, including stints with the New York Jets (2007-08), Miami Dolphins (2005-06) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04). He began his NFL career as a defensive quality control coach for the 49ers from 2001-02 before being promoted to defensive line coach.
    Helped four different players reach double-digits in sacks in a single season.
    Seven of his 10 seasons in the NFL saw opponents average less than one rushing touchdown per game, including three seasons of 10 or less total.
    In 2010, the Seattle Seahawks finished third in the NFC in red zone touchdown defense, allowing just 46.2 percent.
    Coached Chris Clemons to a career-high 11 sacks in 2010 in Clemons’ first season as a full-time starter, including four multi-sack games, while Raheem Brock tallied nine sacks.
    Helped the Seahawks to the 2010 NFC West crown and knocked off the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in the opening round of the playoffs.
    Quinn’s 2008 Jets defense ranked fifth in the NFL in yards per carry (3.7), seventh in sacks (41) and ninth in rushing yards per game (94.9). The Jets were also sixth in the AFC in yards per play (5.2) and third-down efficiency (.386).
    The 2006 Dolphins totaled 47 sacks, third in the NFL. That season, Jason Taylor finished fourth in the NFL with 13.5 sacks under Quinn’s guidance.
    Quinn’s 2006 Miami team also ranked third in the NFL in yards per play (4.6), fourth in total defense (289.1) and fifth in rushing yards per attempt (3.5).
    In 2005, Quinn helped the Dolphins rank first in the AFC and second in the NFL with 49 sacks. Miami also finished third in the AFC in yards per play (4.7) and fourth in yards per carry (3.7).
    The 49ers ranked fifth in the NFC in 2004 with 4.0 yards per carry allowed.
    As a defensive assistant with San Francisco in 2002, linebacker Andre Carter tied for fourth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks.
    Quinn began his coaching career as defensive line coach with William & Mary in 1994, followed by a season with the Virginia Military Institute in 1995. He held the same position with Hofstra for four seasons before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2000.
    He and his wife, Stacey, established the Quinn’s Corps Program in 2004 to help children and families in need.

Prominent Players Coached

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS:

DE CHRIS CLEMONS – Recorded a career-high 11.0 sacks in 2010 which tied him for 10th in the NFL, along with 49 tackles (33 solo) and one forced fumble in the most productive season of his career.
    DE PATRICK KERNEY – Coached the two-time Pro Bowler in the last season of his 11-year career, as Kerney played 15 games and picked up five sacks.
    NEW YORK JETS:

DE SHAUN ELLIS – Collected 60 tackles in 2008—the 10th most by a defensive lineman in the NFL—and was tied for 17th in sacks with 8.0. In his career, he has totaled 499 tackles, 72.5 sacks and has forced 12 fumbles.
    DT KRIS JENKINS – Earned 2008 Pro Bowl honors, the fourth time in his career he received the recognition and second-team AP All-Pro accolades after posting 53 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Also won his first career AFC Defensive Player of the Week award with 1.5 sacks, three hurries and three tackles in the Nov. 2 win over Buffalo.
    MIAMI DOLPHINS:

DE KEVIN CARTER – Played both of his seasons with Miami under Quinn, starting all 32 games and tallying 99 tackles, 11.5 sacks, four passes defensed, three fumble recoveries and a forced fumble during that time.
    DE JASON TAYLOR – During Quinn’s two-year tenure with Miami, Taylor ranked third in the NFL with 25.5 sacks, led the league in forced fumbles with 13, and scored three defensive touchdowns (two interception returns, one fumble return) en route to earning Pro Bowl berths in 2005 and 2006 and the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year award in 2006.
    SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS:

DT BRYANT YOUNG – Made the final two Pro Bowls of his career under the tutelage of Quinn in the 2001 and 2002 seasons.
    NFL Players (Round Drafted)

TBD

Playing Career

Quinn was a four-year letterwinner and two-time co-captain at Salisbury (Md.) State as a defensive lineman, where he recorded 139 tackles and eight tackles for loss. He also lettered in track and held the school record in the hammer throw at the time of his departure. Salisbury State inducted Quinn into its Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005.

Personal Information

Birth date: Sept. 11, 1970
    Hometown: Morristown, N.J.
    Education: 1994 – Bachelor’s Degree from Salisbury State
    Family: Married to Stacey
    NFL Playoff Finishes

2001: Wild Card (San Francisco)
    2002: Divisional Round (San Francisco)
    2010: Divisional Round (Seattle)
    FCS Championship Finishes

1997: FCS Championship – First Round (Hofstra)
    1999: FCS Championship – Quarterfinals (Hofstra)
    2000: FCS Championship – Quarterfinals (Hofstra)
    Bowl Games as a Coach

2012: Gator
    Mandu
    NET Starter

pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, which is why they take Red out and put Irvin in during passing downs.

I don't like our line being dependent on rotation like that. It telegraphs our intentions when we sub Red out, and most teams are perfectly capable of (and did a lot of) passing when Red was in there. It's also a weak situation against any kind of option play.

We really just need some well-rounded studs along the D-line like Mebane, but I realize those don't grow on trees. I figure the specialization is just a stopgap measure until we do find some, or at least I hope so.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I like this move, least amount of potential harm by going with Dan. My only concern is that now Gus is gonna try and poach a bunch of assistant coaches from our staff like Richards.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, which is why they take Red out and put Irvin in during passing downs.

I don't like our line being dependent on rotation like that. It telegraphs our intentions when we sub Red out, and most teams are perfectly capable of (and did a lot of) passing when Red was in there. It's also a weak situation against any kind of option play.

We really just need some well-rounded studs along the D-line like Mebane, but I realize those don't grow on trees. I figure the specialization is just a stopgap measure until we do find some, or at least I hope so.

I actually disagree. Defensive line is the one group on the field where staying fresh is more important than continuity. The truth is - putting a fresh player in to rush the passer against a gassed offensive lineman who was just wrestling a bear like Bryant puts us in an advantageous position. Moreover, when that player is significantly different and has a superior rushing skill set - it really tests the ability of the offensive linemen. Having 9-10 defensive linemen also give us great flexibility to plan for different offenses.

I would also welcome more draws on 3rd and 9 to try and beat our smaller, but faster, defensive line. Of course no one would do that so the match-up point is fairly moot.

I think that our biggest issue was collapsing the pocket regularly on passing downs. Mebane gets worn down and Jones was injured. Other than those two our depth was sorely lacking with regards to inside rush. also, I wish that Wright would be more of a factor in the pass rush.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I actually disagree. Defensive line is the one group on the field where staying fresh is more important than continuity. The truth is - putting a fresh player in to rush the passer against a gassed offensive lineman who was just wrestling a bear like Bryant puts us in an advantageous position. Moreover, when that player is significantly different and has a superior rushing skill set - it really tests the ability of the offensive linemen. Having 9-10 defensive linemen also give us great flexibility to plan for different offenses.

I would also welcome more draws on 3rd and 9 to try and beat our smaller, but faster, defensive line. Of course no one would do that so the match-up point is fairly moot.

I think that our biggest issue was collapsing the pocket regularly on passing downs. Mebane gets worn down and Jones was injured. Other than those two our depth was sorely lacking with regards to inside rush. also, I wish that Wright would be more of a factor in the pass rush.

Rotation to keep fresh is different than rotation to scream "we're rushing the passer and can't do anything but stop the run from this formation". I think your ideas are sound in theory, but they sure didn't happen on the field. No offensive tackle this year looked particularly tested by Irvin once they figured him out. Our pass rush was stonewalled often even when Jason Jones was in. He isn't the answer. I hoped he was, but I was wrong.

If I'm an OC against Seattle, this D-line is easy on 3rd downs. I draw up plays in space or option plays to exploit Red's slowness (I shudder to think how that first game would have gone against a healthy RG3, he'd have sprinted to the right all day). I audible to some on 3rd-and-short when I see Irvin coming in. I run more vertical routes with Red in, because the QB will have time. I don't even worry about LB's in coverage, nor do I have to worry about leaving my RB's in to pass-protect against Irvin - if I have reliable receivers, and I will in the playoffs, then I'll be fine as long as my QB is still standing.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• gw232 wrote:Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.

Yeah... I bet that 90 minutes spent with the Eagles talking casually before the game was a real killer.

People need to get over this. SUCH a none issue.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Why I always wondered why we didn't go with Johnson more in the secondary and slip Red inside and have Hill pass rush. He's good at it or was, one of the attributes he had when he came here, if not him Wright or someone . Being able to move him inside outside occationally with a extra DB and Kam moving to a LB roll would make us less predictable as far as personnel and alignments.

I know Red was less effective inside his rookie year, but that was with Mora and he was injured as well. On a occtional down situation where he just has to push or minimally take up space and blockers I would think that would be a easy task for him.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Great hire. He's familiar with Pete and wanted to come back!

I think one of the main reasons he left was to be a coordinator...

I think this will make for a smooth transition.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• One of the reason I love this hire is with his exposure to the read option in college. He has experience on how to defend it and based on his record, it seems like he did a good job. I was freaking out when I heard names like Lovie, Rob Ryan and Marinelli. They're great coaches, don't get me wrong, but they are so arrogant in their approaches it leaves no room for adjustments. When the Bears faced SF with Krapernick, they had no answer to the read option and didn't make adjustments. When the Hawks began running the read option in 4th quarter, they again didn't make the adjustments. With the same token, look at Capers in GB. Absolutely murdered by SF. These guys were great coordinators, but it's a young man's league now. They are so dead set in their approach that it is putting their team's at a disadvantage. Atleast Quinn isn't that. Which is why I'm so pumped that he's our new DC rather than the old farts that are available.
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I actually disagree. Defensive line is the one group on the field where staying fresh is more important than continuity. The truth is - putting a fresh player in to rush the passer against a gassed offensive lineman who was just wrestling a bear like Bryant puts us in an advantageous position. Moreover, when that player is significantly different and has a superior rushing skill set - it really tests the ability of the offensive linemen. Having 9-10 defensive linemen also give us great flexibility to plan for different offenses.

Rotation to keep fresh is different than rotation to scream "we're rushing the passer and can't do anything but stop the run from this formation". I think your ideas are sound in theory, but they sure didn't happen on the field. No offensive tackle this year looked particularly tested by Irvin once they figured him out. Our pass rush was stonewalled often even when Jason Jones was in. He isn't the answer. I hoped he was, but I was wrong.

If I'm an OC against Seattle, this D-line is easy on 3rd downs. I draw up plays in space or option plays to exploit Red's slowness (I shudder to think how that first game would have gone against a healthy RG3, he'd have sprinted to the right all day). I audible to some on 3rd-and-short when I see Irvin coming in. I run more vertical routes with Red in, because the QB will have time. I don't even worry about LB's in coverage, nor do I have to worry about leaving my RB's in to pass-protect against Irvin - if I have reliable receivers, and I will in the playoffs, then I'll be fine as long as my QB is still standing.

Yes and no.

On 1st down - our formation is basically a 3-4. Bryant plays with inside leverage and Wright plays the SLB outside leverage on the line. It isn't as if QBs throw all day on the 3-4. I think rushing K.J. Wright more - especially if backs are in the back field blocking - would negate much of the disadvantage of Bryant in there. But I remind you that 3-4 teams rush with 3 slower players and one fast one often - so I don't see as much of a disadvantage as you.

On 3rd down (at least 3rd and long-ish) our formation changes to a wide 4-3 - like the Eagles played much of last year with the two ends - in 9 techniques. They basically rush the passer from wider out. This leaves the two tackles on an island which is why we had such trouble collapsing the pocket. This is where they need to improve.

Now where this breaks down and where your point is well taken is on the 3rd and 4. What do we do? If we put our rushing squad in the game - and they don't get there - QB lanes will be wide open to run. We keep Red in there - we basically have to blitz or give the QB all day.

So overall - there is definitely some tweaking but I don't think the answer is to do away with a good defensive line rotation - I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Ray Horton just got let go in AZ. Can we change our mind?!?
    misfit
    NET Starter

• misfit wrote:Ray Horton just got let go in AZ. Can we change our mind?!?

No thanks. Dan's the man, Stan.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Hmm should we have waited for Horton instead?

EDIT: misfit didn't see you post.

Horton just scouted our division and played against them. On the negative side supposedly he blew up for not being HC so he woul have been one and done...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• good move

:D
    ruca
    NET Bench Warmer

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.

This. Our current talent has been used properly. Quin and Bradley don't take snaps. We need to add horses to get a pass rush in the base set.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• BAllenHawk wrote:
    BASF wrote:Strengthening the Seahawks and hurting the Florida Gators! This has got to be my favorite transaction we have ever made. This! This makes up for giving up the rights to Tony Dorsett for me.

What's your beef with Florida?

FSU fan, hating the Gators is almost as ingrained as hating the Hurricanes.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• As long as they don't play Louisville, ok I guess.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Hiring anyone from the Gators is an A+ move.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I think it is simply to get more talent in the defensive line. Especially at tackle.

This. Our current talent has been used properly. Quin and Bradley don't take snaps. We need to add horses to get a pass rush in the base set.

Yep. I think Alan Branch has been great at 3-tech in the running situations. We just need the 3-tech that can collapse the pocket and get in the backfield when they pass. In those 3rd and medium situations (3rd&6 to 3rd&4), I'd almost like to see us move Branch out to the 5-tech and bring in a quicker guy like Scruggs, Jaye Howard or Jones (if he stays) to play 3-tech. Though he might not be the run stuffer that Red is, Branch just seems a lot quicker off the snap than Red to me. But it all hinges on a 3-tech getting into the backfield.

A 3-tech! A 3-tech! My kingdome for a pass rushing 3-tech!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Don't be surprised if we draft a UF defensive line player now, I won't be.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• AF_Hawk wrote:Don't be surprised if we draft a UF defensive line player now, I won't be.

Funny you say that, Florida DT Sharrif Floyd declared for the draft. I'm not too blown away by him, but what do I know. He fills an area of need, has untapped potential, and a connection to Quinn. Doubt he's the pick though but ya never know.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• AF_Hawk wrote:Don't be surprised if we draft a UF defensive line player now, I won't be.

I'm OK with drafting lineman for depth, but personally I'd like to see us go after free agent line help.

The Hawks are past their "potential" years where we're building for the future. The future is NOW with this team, so I want to see players coming in here ready to help NOW, not 2-3 year draft projects.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    AF_Hawk wrote:Don't be surprised if we draft a UF defensive line player now, I won't be.

I'm OK with drafting lineman for depth, but personally I'd like to see us go after free agent line help.

The Hawks are past their "potential" years where we're building for the future. The future is NOW with this team, so I want to see players coming in here ready to help NOW, not 2-3 year draft projects.

Sometimes, in the right system and if he's talented enough, you don't have to wait for excellent production from a rookie. We saw that with Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson, especially Wagner, this season. This is a very talented defense, and if someone like Richardson fell or if the Hawks traded up for him, he might be able to have a Wagner like season from the DT spot. Sure, there'll be rookie mistakes along the way, but the rest of the talent on D should be able to hide them.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:
    Sometimes, in the right system and if he's talented enough, you don't have to wait for excellent production from a rookie. We saw that with Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson, especially Wagner, this season. This is a very talented defense, and if someone like Richardson fell or if the Hawks traded up for him, he might be able to have a Wagner like season from the DT spot. Sure, there'll be rookie mistakes along the way, but the rest of the talent on D should be able to hide them.

I kind of agree with you, but I do think D-Line is different than the LB, or even DB position. Very few lineman can come right into the league and excel, because so much of line play is predicated on leverage, technique and mastery of schemes.

LB's and DB's also need good technique, but they can get away with more because they have the space to use their athleticism and speed. Not so on the line, you HAVE TO be sound with technique and scheme............Irvin is a perfect example of that. All the athletic talent and speed in the world, but struggled 75% of the time because of his poor technique and understanding of scheme.

Anyway, I'm not saying don't draft lineman. Just saying I'd be more excited with us going out and getting one of the top lineman free agents than drafting a lineman because I know it'll probably be a few years before they're starting (if at all on this team).
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:

I kind of agree with you, but I do think D-Line is different than the LB, or even DB position. Very few lineman can come right into the league and excel, because so much of line play is predicated on leverage, technique and mastery of schemes.

LB's and DB's also need good technique, but they can get away with more because they have the space to use their athleticism and speed. Not so on the line, you HAVE TO be sound with technique and scheme............Irvin is a perfect example of that. All the athletic talent and speed in the world, but struggled 75% of the time because of his poor technique and understanding of scheme.

Anyway, I'm not saying don't draft lineman. Just saying I'd be more excited with us going out and getting one of the top lineman free agents than drafting a lineman because I know it'll probably be a few years before they're starting (if at all on this team).

Why pay top dollar for a guy that has something lacking be it injury or maybe a good year left and be strapped for a contract. Winstrom is a good example of that. Getting a guy like Clem is better someone that isn't used to his highest potential or in the wrong position for his skill set. He is cheaper and already has a NFL body typically.

The go for the name like Seymor has bit this team since it's inception, I would think that after being bitten 25 or so times you would wise up and quit being a pawn shop for the rest of the leagues retirement programs.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Eric Davis said something today on NFLAM when debating an Atlanta broadcaster. The Atlanta guy was disputing the fact that the 9ers would be physical against the Falcons and punch them in the mouth. The Atlanta guy countered that he heard the same stuff last week against the Seahawks and turns out it wasn't an issue. Davis stated that the Seahawks are physical in their backend with the secondary while the 9ers are physical in their front 7 (though Dashon and Whitner are pretty physical as well).

I tend to agree with Eric's analysis. I kept hearing about how physical the Seahawks defense was but besides Mebane and Clemons, the front 7 wasn't an outstanding physical defense to me. I hope Quinn can finish the job with this defense and get the DL operating at a higher level. He tried when Cole was here but after that Raiders game they were like tissue paper. A impactful LB along with a disruptive DT and another DE that can rush but hold up against the run will help him.

Until we have a front 7 that can hold its own against all comers, the Lombardi isn't a given. Was surprising last year when the majority of the draft was defense. This year, unless a game changer is available at WR, I am not going to be tripping if all the majority of the resources are spent on that side of the ball again.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• BTW, JS and PC state that they would never draft under the guise of the future is now. I also assume that holds for FA as well. Now back to the thread.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• 12th_Bob wrote:Woohoo! Now get that D Line playing great again!

He's good, but not magic. Hopefully Schneider can add a couple of good horses to the stable to help him out. I really feel like Pete and Gus maximized our current players' strengths through scheme, but that only goes so far with present talent. Think about it. We had an overall weak pass rush but still managed to have a top 5 D in most categories. Our run D wasn't very stout either. To be ranked so highly and allow the fewest points per game is testament to good coaching, so don't get pie in the sky expectations about Quinn unless players are added that make us better.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote: ... so don't get pie in the sky expectations about Quinn unless players are added that make us better.

What I like is Quinn's D-line background coupled with the fact that the Hawks D-line play is an area in need of an upgrade.

With Pete and John's help, Dan will get the job done... and done right.

In Pete and John (... and now Dan), I trust. :th2thumbs:
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:Eric Davis said something today on NFLAM when debating an Atlanta broadcaster. The Atlanta guy was disputing the fact that the 9ers would be physical against the Falcons and punch them in the mouth. The Atlanta guy countered that he heard the same stuff last week against the Seahawks and turns out it wasn't an issue. Davis stated that the Seahawks are physical in their backend with the secondary while the 9ers are physical in their front 7 (though Dashon and Whitner are pretty physical as well).

I tend to agree with Eric's analysis. I kept hearing about how physical the Seahawks defense was but besides Mebane and Clemons, the front 7 wasn't an outstanding physical defense to me. I hope Quinn can finish the job with this defense and get the DL operating at a higher level. He tried when Cole was here but after that Raiders game they were like tissue paper. A impactful LB along with a disruptive DT and another DE that can rush but hold up against the run will help him.

Until we have a front 7 that can hold its own against all comers, the Lombardi isn't a given. Was surprising last year when the majority of the draft was defense. This year, unless a game changer is available at WR, I am not going to be tripping if all the majority of the resources are spent on that side of the ball again.

I'd say our front 7 is just as physical as the 49ers, just look at the niners game as a perfect example
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Kidding me that our D line is as physical as the 9ers. It's true that when we had the 9ers at home the front 7 played lights out, but when we were at San Fran they blew holes so wide open for Gore that I could have rushed for a hundred yards. So between the 2 games it's a push.

The 9ers have shown the ability to take their physical line on the road and generate pressure, something that we have not done all season. We've won road games, but against quality opponents the road wins haven't been because of defensive pressure by a long shot, and nobody's going to claim that we dominated the Skins in the trenches. Basically the Skins kept a gimpy QB in and handicapped their run game themselves, and even then we got to Griffin what, once?

Have to agree with DrDiags and Eric Davis. Physical in the secondary, good on the Dline, but not physically dominant there.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawk45 wrote:Kidding me that our D line is as physical as the 9ers. It's true that when we had the 9ers at home the front 7 played lights out, but when we were at San Fran they blew holes so wide open for Gore that I could have rushed for a hundred yards. So between the 2 games it's a push.

The 9ers have shown the ability to take their physical line on the road and generate pressure, something that we have not done all season. We've won road games, but against quality opponents the road wins haven't been because of defensive pressure by a long shot, and nobody's going to claim that we dominated the Skins in the trenches. Basically the Skins kept a gimpy QB in and handicapped their run game themselves, and even then we got to Griffin what, once?

Have to agree with DrDiags and Eric Davis. Physical in the secondary, good on the Dline, but not physically dominant there.

My sentiments exactly. Our DL generally didn't play well on the road. The crowd noise at home helped them out by causing opposing offenses to slow down, dumb down and miscommunicate. Adding a big thumper at DT will make a big difference. Alan Branch is slight improvement over Cole, but far from what we need.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Quinn's deal is for 3 years/$5.7M. The AAV is greater than that of a few NFL head coaches, and nearly 4x what he made last season at Florida in base salary ($510K; $490K in 2011).
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• sadhappy wrote:Works for me.

They crapped the bed in the bowl game, but he had that gator defense playing some very good football last year, well above what was expected from the unit.

I think he had the Gators defense ranked #2 in the nation.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information