Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

CANHawk

Reaction score
THAT was the shortest trip on a band wagon I've ever had! I got up to drop a deuce and by the time I come back, Dan's the MAN!

Me likee! :spaz:

Makes me wonder if Dan and Gus really DID have a deal in place to swap houses... :hmmmm:

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Love the pick-up. Makes the most sense. We basically do not skip a beat on defense except get some expertise along the defensive line - somewhere where we need it most.

That is a good thing for the #1 defense in the league.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3rhtbkst said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

What candidate are u worried about? Norton and Wash need to stay where they are because why mess with that success. And Kris Richard has never called plays. Other than administrative tasks, calling plays is the biggest task for a DC.

In a few years lets worry about upsetting the coaching pipeline. Until then, every assistant is thrilled to be padding their résumé with the Seahawks.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":1rhtnzot said:
hawkcrazzed":1rhtnzot said:
Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

Big Red developed plantar fasciitis (rumored) and wasn't the same all year. It is a painful and chronic condition and a new DC won't fix it. His drafted replacement will though, and if Red doesn't bounce back, he will be a cap casualty next year.

Edit: Oh and Jaye Howard wasn't there when Quinn was DC at University of Florida. Quinn DID, however, endorse Howard to the FO.

Edited again: I was mistaken, Quinn was Florida DC for Howard's last year there.

it wasn't just this year it was last as well. But i can see this as a very good at worst equal move.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":16oxppbf said:
Love the pick-up. Makes the most sense. We basically do not skip a beat on defense except get some expertise along the defensive line - somewhere where we need it most.

That is a good thing for the #1 defense in the league.

If the draft goes well, I can seriously see Seattle vying for some defensive records next year. I don't think they'll get the scoring record (9.2 points is TOUGH), but I think they might approach the 10 mark (that'd be a significant 5ppg drop) which would be craaaazy awesome with our current offense.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
CANHawk":3bm3of62 said:
THAT was the shortest trip on a band wagon I've ever had! I got up to drop a deuce and by the time I come back, Dan's the MAN!

Makes me wonder if Dan and Gus really DID have a deal in place to swap houses... :hmmmm:

Maybe they had a deal for Dan to the Jag's DC. Losing out on Quinn has to be Bradley's first disappointment on the job. That, and his first cursory look at the Jag's roster lol.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I signed off on this so it's okay. He will be a head coach in a few years and one of the youngins will get a shot then.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
One other potential positive of hiring Dan Quinn - assuming Wash is hired by Bradley as DC (I am not a Wash fan), Quinn would likely bring Bryant Young from Florida as D-line coach

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":mehwtili said:
CodeWarrior":mehwtili said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

Why would it faze the other guys? They worked with Quinn in 2011 (fulfilling the promote from within, albeit a year late) and they saw what he did at Florida as DC. I bet they're stoked to get him back. I know I am. (And I'm pretty astonished that it happened so soon, actually.)

Nobody in house was qualified to be promoted to DC. Rocky Seto? Kris Richard? Please... Probably the only one even qualified was Todd Wash, but with the state of the D-line last year I don't think he deserved it. Nope, Dan is the absolute best choice for DC and I could give a rip if the other guys are butthurt. Just pushes them to do better so they get the job if/when Dan gets his own HC opportunity.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is PERFECT! Quinn is a smart man and imho, a better DC than Gus. Dan is the one that suggested Red Bryant play DE and now that he has experience as a college DC, he is well prepared for the job as our DC!

Like Canhawk, I wanted Quinn over everyone. Plus, we once again have a coach that is familiar with college talent. And most importantly, with D-line talent, our biggest need! Woohoo!! :th2thumbs:

NYCoug

Reaction score
Excellent call Can. You've elevated yourself to Kip Earlywine level genius with this call.

It's amazing how plugged into this organization some 12's are. Seriously amazing.

GCrow

Reaction score
Wouldn't now mind seeing Todd Wash going to Jax, and Quinn brings in his own guy to look over D Line.

CANHawk

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":njrx2c4k said:
CANHawk":njrx2c4k said:

Maybe they had a deal for Dan to the Jag's DC. Losing out on Quinn has to be Bradley's first disappointment on the job. That, and his first cursory look at the Jag's roster lol.

No doubt. You can either coach the best defense in the league (one that you already had a hand in moulding BTW), or you can coach this steaming pile of dookie... but you get to hang out with your buddy Gus everyday!

Real tough decision...

CANHawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":m6blf4od said:
Excellent call Can. You've elevated yourself to Kip Earlywine level genius with this call.

It's amazing how plugged into this organization some 12's are. Seriously amazing.

Genius? Maybe. Word count? Not even close. ;)

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3s9bip0r said:
Would have rather had Rod marinelli

I suspect Marinelli wants to go to a team with an offensive head coach so he can get all the credit for building a D. Not sure where Lovie Smith's former influence on the Bears D ends and where Marinelli's begins. He would live in PC's shadow here.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Axx":2r2605er said:
it's like Pete knew they were getting rid of him either way and had Dan Quinn anyway.
I would love to see lovie smith but he will probably keep looking for a head coach job.
yea the speed of this does make you wonder if Bradley was leaving whether he got another job or not? and fwiw Lovey said yesterday that he would not go back to being a coordinator.

Latest posts