Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 am
  • Seattle Seahawks ‏@Seahawks
    Seahawks name Dan Quinn defensive coordinator to replace Gus Bradley.
    Last edited by SeahawksFanForever on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• nice. perfect choice.
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• Great stuff

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:
    Seattle Seahawks ‏@Seahawks
    Seahawks name Dan Quinn defensive coordinator to replace Gus Bradley.

Is this good or bad??? Wasnt DQ with us when our D was at its worst?

Have to admit I am not down cause I just cant remember. So this question is asked to find info not to get bashed.
    Last edited by rainger on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• A lot of us wanted him, no? Good choice, I think, but I don't know enough about him to form a critical opinion yet.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• FOR REALZ?!

Awesome if true. Really the only sensible choice.

Watch this defense light up next season.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Woohoo! Now get that D Line playing great again!
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Good. I'm glad they announced it basically right away, so it doesn't look like they were debating who it would be.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Damn that was fast, obviously had already agreed it if Bradley went.

Good choice
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Awesome! That was uhh, quick. Great to get him back though, D-line expertise and I think it's good from a teaching aspect to get a coach who's recently been in the college ranks. Plus he knows college prospects right now. Has some connections.

Future head coach to boot.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• They must've been banking on Bradley leaving, I'm guessing, cuz that was stupidly fast, haha.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Smart move for everyone involved, Quinn knows that the personnel is good here, he has cred for Florida's D in the SEC, a few good years in Seattle and he will have a sweet choice for head coach somewhere. Seattle doesn't have to alter the rest of the defense or reshuffle the coaching assistants too much and gets a good candidate to take over.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Works for me.

They crapped the bed in the bowl game, but he had that gator defense playing some very good football last year, well above what was expected from the unit.
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Hopefully big Red can recover and Quinn can get the best outta him again
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

• Damn I heard about bringing back Quinn before I heard about Bradley leaving.
    bellyfat
    NET Starter

• This is the perfect signing IMO. He knows our team/scheme and is a great DL coach. We should see great improvement in that area. PC's speciality is the secondary so hopefully this means we get back to jamming the hell out of wide receivers at the line and getting some serious pressure with blitzes.

What he did in Florida defensively is also impressive being in the SEC against a lot of good running teams.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully, Jay Howard will finally contribute now. He played for Dan Quinn at Florida

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I like it
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully we give up on Red now.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• it's like Pete knew they were getting rid of him either way and had Dan Quinn anyway.
    I would love to see lovie smith but he will probably keep looking for a head coach job.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.
    Last edited by CodeWarrior on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Formerly known as Seahawk425.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Don't know much about the guy, but from what I am hearing/reading, sounds like a nice pickup. Hopefully at a minimum a wash w/ what Bradley brought.
    **ME LONG YOU LOVE TIME**
    Seattle_Stunna_MD
    NET Rookie

• that was fast...great choice...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• Awesome hire. Most of the D will be familiar with him. A blow for Bradley though, would have been a good DC for him but Quinn is smart enough to know that Seattle is the springboard for a HC gig and not JAX.
    Last edited by entropyrulesall on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• Nice, I like how this team is really getting after it this early in the off season. They seem to be on a mission! Super excited for next year!

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:Dan Quinn is the future head coach of some team. Mark my words.

How about now? :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Quick replacement
    Someone familiar with the team, the HC, the GM, and some of the players
    Impressive work with the Florida D

What's not to love about this? It seems that this was very possibly the best hire to guarantee the least amount of upheaval and negative change for our D.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Hope he is more aggressive than Bradley!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• gw232 wrote:Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.

Come on, seriously. Even JS said the other day that the day before the game is a day for rest, no coaching or game planning going on. Get on the NFL for the rule, or lack of rule, but not on Gus Bradley for doing the best thing for his family and future. It's NOT the reason we lost on Sunday.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Good work, CANHawk.

Your sig works wonders.

Now change it to read something about the Seahawks being SB 48 winners and Wilson being the league MVP.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• It was time for Bradley to move on, too many mistakes repeated and not learned from that ultimately ended our season....Quinn soothes the pain a bit and allows the healing of optimism to begin once again!
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

• Great move - best case scenario! Quinn is not only very familiar with the scheme and coaching staff, but has worked with Mebane, Clemons, and Bryant. We not only get a very good DC, but someone who has a reputation as a VERY good Defensive Line coach. Immediate improvement to our base defense pass rush
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Rookie

Sweet! Dan Quinn! MMA Record 5-7-1!

What has Dan Quinn done?
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• CAN now has a full on bro-ner good intuition my friend! I love this move FYI
    SB 48 CHAMP HYPE BEAST
    beasthawk
    NET Veteran

• This is the best choice to maintain continuity. Quinn is very familiar with what we do here and should get the best out of the players on our D-line.

He also might be able to do some great work with Irvin.

Solid signing by Pete.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• It feels like, to me anyway, that Quinn was going to be the DC next season regardless of Gus Bradley being hired elsewhere or not.
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• hawkcrazzed wrote:Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

Big Red developed plantar fasciitis (rumored) and wasn't the same all year. It is a painful and chronic condition and a new DC won't fix it. His drafted replacement will though, and if Red doesn't bounce back, he will be a cap casualty next year.

Edit: Oh and Jaye Howard wasn't there when Quinn was DC at University of Florida. Quinn DID, however, endorse Howard to the FO.

Edited again: I was mistaken, Quinn was Florida DC for Howard's last year there.
    Last edited by entropyrulesall on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• Does anyone know how Quinn is as a playcaller? Did he calls plays on D as a head coach last year?
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• CodeWarrior wrote:In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

Why would it faze the other guys? They worked with Quinn in 2011 (fulfilling the promote from within, albeit a year late) and they saw what he did at Florida as DC. I bet they're stoked to get him back. I know I am. (And I'm pretty astonished that it happened so soon, actually.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• THAT was the shortest trip on a band wagon I've ever had! I got up to drop a deuce and by the time I come back, Dan's the MAN!

Me likee! :spaz:

Makes me wonder if Dan and Gus really DID have a deal in place to swap houses... :hmmmm:
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Love the pick-up. Makes the most sense. We basically do not skip a beat on defense except get some expertise along the defensive line - somewhere where we need it most.

That is a good thing for the #1 defense in the league.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Last year I did a list of college coaches who could be future NFL HCs. Dan Quinn was the only ass't to make the list.

SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

What candidate are u worried about? Norton and Wash need to stay where they are because why mess with that success. And Kris Richard has never called plays. Other than administrative tasks, calling plays is the biggest task for a DC.

In a few years lets worry about upsetting the coaching pipeline. Until then, every assistant is thrilled to be padding their résumé with the Seahawks.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• entropyrulesall wrote:
    hawkcrazzed wrote:Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

Big Red developed plantar fasciitis (rumored) and wasn't the same all year. It is a painful and chronic condition and a new DC won't fix it. His drafted replacement will though, and if Red doesn't bounce back, he will be a cap casualty next year.

Edit: Oh and Jaye Howard wasn't there when Quinn was DC at University of Florida. Quinn DID, however, endorse Howard to the FO.

Edited again: I was mistaken, Quinn was Florida DC for Howard's last year there.

it wasn't just this year it was last as well. But i can see this as a very good at worst equal move.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Love the pick-up. Makes the most sense. We basically do not skip a beat on defense except get some expertise along the defensive line - somewhere where we need it most.

That is a good thing for the #1 defense in the league.

If the draft goes well, I can seriously see Seattle vying for some defensive records next year. I don't think they'll get the scoring record (9.2 points is TOUGH), but I think they might approach the 10 mark (that'd be a significant 5ppg drop) which would be craaaazy awesome with our current offense.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• CANHawk wrote:THAT was the shortest trip on a band wagon I've ever had! I got up to drop a deuce and by the time I come back, Dan's the MAN!

Me likee! :spaz:

Makes me wonder if Dan and Gus really DID have a deal in place to swap houses... :hmmmm:

Maybe they had a deal for Dan to the Jag's DC. Losing out on Quinn has to be Bradley's first disappointment on the job. That, and his first cursory look at the Jag's roster lol.
    entropyrulesall
    NET Rookie

• I signed off on this so it's okay. He will be a head coach in a few years and one of the youngins will get a shot then.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Next

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information