What would it cost to bring Suh home?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd give up our 1st and 2nd plus next years 2nd. I think we could get a 3rd for Flynn. If our #1 and #2 needs are Pass rush DT and another DE. and we drafted them 1st and 2nd round I doubt they would have nearly the same impact Suh would have.

With a 3rd, 4th, 2x 5th, 6th 2x 7th, and mabye another 3rd from Flynn we can still get soem depth at TE, WR, LB, OL, and DL. With 18Mil in cap room this year why not bring him in and pay him big money up front.

Why did you even bring this up now all I can think about is how incredible our defense would be with a monster like Suh.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1omcucdf said:
Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.

Is it really? WTH are we waiting for then!

Guys like Suh, and his dad Cortez Kennedy, come out once a decade or so.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":17banc2v said:
Draft the next Suh in the first or second round of this year's draft. Better and cheaper.

Yeah, Sailor, you know that's not going to happen. There's no way GMs would pass on a player with Suh's measurables for nearly two rounds. No way. (And don't bring up Russell Wilson because he's the exception.)

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":33u0lcxv said:

Satire? :) Guys with physical talent like Suh's would never escape the top 5 picks. And seriously, this is the worst draft for DT I've seen in years. DE isn't a whole lot better, unfortunately.

I do see the next Zach Miller and Roddy White reaching our #25 pick though. Great year to pick late, just not for DL.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd REALLY like to get resolution on the cap ramifications, for each side.

We've had a few birdies inform us that Suh's a quiet cat off the field. A homebody who WANTS to play for Seattle. It's a huge need for Seattle. Detroit has lots of problems aside from just concnerns over Suh. AND, they invested a high draft pick to their defensive interior just two years ago. For all that, it makes sense.

C'mon, we can will this to happen, right folks? Anyone have a copy of "The Secret" lying around?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The Battle #83":274axq6l said:
It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

You sound like fans from 31 other teams speaking about Browner and Sherman.

CANHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":18b6kf8u said:
The Battle #83":18b6kf8u said:
It would be cool to get a player like Suh, but he's a dirty player. Dont think i could root for him

If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":1iyk7shi said:
pehawk":1iyk7shi said:
The Battle #83":1iyk7shi said:

If Suh actually became a Seahawk, I'd name my next born child after him. Which is really saying something because I can neither spell or pronounce Nahdomukhuwong properly.

And, you'd have a hard time conceiving the way you "do it". So, that IS saying something.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
pehawk":3r6hbsqh said:
The Battle #83":3r6hbsqh said:

Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.

razgriz737

Reaction score
The Battle #83":wpn88uhr said:
At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.

CANHawk

Reaction score
The Battle #83":3pt15vn5 said:
pehawk":3pt15vn5 said:
The Battle #83":3pt15vn5 said:

Oh please, they don't stomp on people or kick people in the nuts like Suh.

dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

BB is a BAD man.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
razgriz737":1knlipfo said:
The Battle #83":1knlipfo said:
At this point, Pete bringing in "dirty players" doesn't really worry me anymore. Marshawn, Mike Williams, Bruce Irvin, Braylon Edwards, and TO were all given that label at some point, and none of those guys backfired as far as I can tell. They have either succeeded or were shown the door, but there haven't been any visible issues as far as I can tell, I think...

If Pete wants to bring in a guy like Suh, or (god forbid) Dockett, more power to him. I'll root for just about any Seahawk.

Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players

razgriz737

Reaction score
The Battle #83":5z7v3u57 said:
razgriz737":5z7v3u57 said:
The Battle #83":5z7v3u57 said:

Never heard of the dirty label given to Braylon or TO. I heard aout character issues, but not dirty players
My bad, I just meant "trouble players". Be it on the field issues/off the field issues/locker room cancer type guys, or whatever. I don't really know the exact term. I personally just lump all those guys into one generic category.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
^^^
Gotcha. I agree that plers who are deemed as cancers wouldn't be cancers on the team because they would be on a tight leash

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
mikeak":1wrgvve6 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1wrgvve6 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1wrgvve6 said:
Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
Not going to happen.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.

After doing some more research it looks like you're correct and I am wrong. I believe that only the "Signing Bonus" is accelerated when a player is traded. Accelerated = counts against the cap immediately. If there is remaining guaranteed money that is an "option bonus" or "roster bonus" as is the case with Ndamukong then the team acquiring him assumes all responsibilities for that money.

So with that in mind (pay attention here pehawk, you're going to like this) the Hawks could trade for Suh and it would count almost nothing against the cap for the Lions in 2013. The problem is the Hawks would then be responsible for the $19 million guaranteed in his contract. His current cap number for next season is more than $17 million so the only way I could see this happening is if Suh we're willing to re-do his deal with the Hawks upon arriving.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1wzjmxj6 said:
I think Suh would excel here...and be kept in check with his attitude as well.

I live in Michigan now and get to see a healthy dose of Suh and that guy is a cancer. I don't want him in a Hawks jersey.

mikeak

Reaction score
cancer can be cured

and on the signing bonus. I actually think this can be taken on by the team that receives the player as well. This was a big issue when Tebow went from Jets to Denver who would pay the part of the signing bonus for this year. I think whoever picks up the check for that portion gets it against the cap. Now if you cut a player different animal

The Battle #83

Reaction score
CANHawk":27ikyuii said:
dude. have you SEEN Brandon Browner play corner? He gave Braylon Edwards the jacknife power bomb last year. Just last week he swung Pierre Garcon around by his head.

BB is a BAD man.

In the legendary word's of John E. Madden "That's [just] good Football"