What would it cost to bring Suh home?

mikeak

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":tk6fhxct said:
Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Basically if Detroit keeps him his cap number is $17.2 million.
If Detroit trades him, his cap number is $19 million and he's not on the team.
Not going to happen.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ndamukong-suh/

Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
jdblack":3mwm2f7z said:
I don't think it is in PS/JC to pay for anything but a low-profile, younger diamond in the rough. They have enough contracts coming up on the current roster.

Edit: I also think they will settle for letting Jones get healthy, hoping Clemons gets healthy, bulking Irvin up, and adding depth with a 3rd-ish round draft pick.
Wow would that be the worst.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1tapu7yv said:
SouthSoundHawk":1tapu7yv said:
Don't see this happening, unless his contract is up or Seattle is willing to throw a lot at Detroit to get him. It'd be cool, but right now it's just a fantasy. Time will tell, but I'm not even going to ponder holding my breath.

Oh, okay.

I didn't know we weren't allowed to hypothosize or ask questions like "what would it cost?". I really do apologize. The last thing I or anyone else wants is you holding your breath. I mean, if you did, you'd die and we wouldn't be honored by your pearls of wisdom. I for one would be really sad over that.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning did ya? Didn't get the memo telling me I'm not allowed to answer the question at hand, or to express an opinion.

Let me go check that inbox for the memo my liege.

CANHawk

Reaction score
OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":39lv7t7o said:
OMG Suh would totally be the missing piece of the puzzle in this system. He's a moster up the middle and he's big enough to stuff the run so he can play every down. AND he'd want to play here! no... I'm not going to get my hopes up but, damn....

Rotoworld says Suh is signed through 2015 and making $11.55/yr. That's some big cheddar and Detroit has a lot of big contracts to pay; Megatron's not one of them (not in 2013 anyway), his contract kicks into overdrive in 2015, he's only getting $5m next 2 years. Stafford's kicks into the big money in 2013 though (he kicks up to $12m). Burlson's due to make 4.5 next year. Chris Avril and Justin Durant are UFA's. Nick Fairley isn't set to be a UFA until 2015.

It sounds like they aren't really happy with Suh's 'tude (I for one LIKE a DT whos a big mean basterd that will stomp on a dude's nuts, but different strokes I guess) so he may very well be the cap casualty they jettison to pay some of the other guys. Looks like they have the room to keep him if they decide they want to keep him, but they could just as well punt him and go another direction. He'd likely be picked off waivers before we could ever get a chance to take on his salary so it's likely a moot point, but we do have the cap room....

From your fingers to your shitty Prime Ministers ears my friend.

In the midst of all of us fluffing each other over this teams potential, we're forgetting this is still Seattle. Seattle, a market where its always difficult to attract FA's. Anytime there's a chance to get a guy who actually PREFERS repping the 206, you do it, IMO.

Burleson should still be here, IMO, because of that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sometimes teams are willing to spend money to get rid of a player if they think the relationship is beyond repair. See SEattle and TJ Housmandzadah.

Personally I would trade our entire draft for Suh. Seriuosly. (well maybe i'd keep one 3rd or 5th round pick... because we know what Pete and John do with those)

With Suh we would have the meanest, most violent, most physical defense in the league and he would make every single player on our D that much better.

I honestly do think that Suh will be a Seahawk someday. It just seems like an inevitablity with him being from the NW, and his mentality and our mentality. Unfortunatly I dont think it will be this offseason.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I would rather look for waiver wire practice squad talent, draft picks, and UDFA first. I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper. Hell I'd rather pick up Hunt in the draft and re-sign Jones and Branch then make that deal for Suh.

Damn I wish we were playing next week! :(

zayden185

Reaction score
too much for one position...have to leverage everyone else...sherman and wilson coming out in back to back years??

think revis $$ and maybe Matt Ryan $$ (comparison on qb levels after manning brady, average of mid-top qb's)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Suh would be a huge fix. Like getting nuclear bullets to shore up that pesky immigrant/border problem.
But, I don't see him being available until the last year of his deal at the earliest. And he would have to be a free agent to come here, because I suspect that teams with higher draft picks and even more cap than us would give the Lions better offers. But if he ever hits free agency, I will be on blast thinking we will get him. In the right hands, he could be Reggie White. I would line him up at DE, DT, all over the dam place just to see QBs sweat.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
12th_Bob":1wkj97os said:
...... I think Melton or Starks could be targets for Schneider especially Starks based on how he manhandled San Fran and our O-line plus he would be cheaper.......
Anyone have an educated guess as to how much cheaper Starks would be? Would it be doable considering the contracts looming for the Hawks?

Seeker

Reaction score
don't we have like 10 draft picks this year spread throughout all the rounds?
pull a falcons and do what you got to get him. we are probably that ONE piece away from going just as far.
if that game would have ended the way the panthers game did it would have been due to a pass rush.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
mikeak":340dmytc said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":340dmytc said:
Suh isn't going anywhere this year. His contract included $40 million guaranteed. He still has $19 million of that left to be paid (based on cap number, not what he's actually received). His cap hit for next year jumps from $6.56 to $17.2 million. However if he is traded ALL of that guaranteed money becomes a 2012 cap hit.

Not going to happen.

Please educate me one bit further as I don't understand this. Isn't the cap hit only if they cut him? If Seahaws trades for him they would pay the $19 million and it would go off the Detroit books. He didn't get a signing bonus so it isn't like money is split over the years and needs to be picked up as well.......

With that said this front office doesn't want to spend big and use all the cap space on one player - draft well build that way is how everything to this point have been made

Curious do you trade Browner straight up (what a cap relief) and hope to pick up another 5th rounder......

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Suh is the guy on another team that I want the most on the Hawks. If somehow they got him, he'd instantly be one of my favorite players on the team. I absolutely love what he brings to the table and think he'd have a sensational career in Seattle. I don't know if it'd ever happen, but I'd absolutely love it if it did. I wonder what it'd take to get this done.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1z1htdp7 said:
Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.

Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1i2qvgnu said:
Largent80":1i2qvgnu said:
Damn cap and Detroits dumbass contract.

Curse the old CBA that made the Lions have no choice to give him that contract.

It's the same reason Aaron Curry got $60M with $34M guaranteed

I remember how many of us were hoping that either McCoy or Suh would fall in that draft, too. Screw you Ruskell, while we're at it.

mikeak

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1mtl7c8k said:
mikeak":1mtl7c8k said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1mtl7c8k said:

Not going to happen.

Any money that is labeled as "guaranteed" when a contract is signed means two things: 1. the player will receive that money no matter what happens and 2. as a result that money will ALL have to be accounted for with the salary cap. It would actually make more sense to release Suh if he is not going to be on the team, but they would have to wait until June 1st to do so. For players that are released after June 1st the team can choose to take the cap hit during that year, or can cut it in half and take half of the cap hit the following year (unless something changed with the last CBA that I'm not aware of).

They are not trading Browner. His cap number for next year is $550K. That is peanuts.

I still think that if Detroit trades him to Seattle then Seattle pays the guaranteed money and it will NOT count against Detroit cap. It won't count twice the union would never have allowed for that. This is not an issue of cutting Suh it is an issue of trading him.