Three years ago today, the Hawks destiny took a turn

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Three years ago today, Pete Carroll was officially hired by YOUR Seattle Seahawks.

Looking back, there was considerable consternation and angst associated with the perception that a certain VERY successful "RAH RAH"-type college coach, howbeit with some (mediocre) NFL coaching experience, was a bad hire because that style would not cut it in the NFL... remember that?

Fortunately for us all, that perception has been essentially erased.

It would be fun to be able to go back and read all of the comments in the thread that announced Pete's hiring.

From Wiki... On Januany 8th, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Pete will be the new coach of the Seahawks "so long as "minor details" are finalized in the pending contract."

Thank goodness they were. :th2thumbs:
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• What day was John Schneider hired? We need to make it a state holiday in Washington state.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Ill hop on the sword here, my reaction was, "I liked this hire the first time, when it was Dennis Erickson".
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• This move will prove to be the best decision ever made by this franchise.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• No doubt, Fox... The Architect Day.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.
    Dirty Bird
    NET Rookie

• Dirty Bird wrote:I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

That's just plain nonsense.

It was YEAR ONE of his contract.... seriously, you're wrong on this one... way wrong.
    Last edited by onanygivensunday on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Dirty Bird wrote:I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.

Errrrr.... No.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:This move will prove to be the best decision ever made by this franchise.

This. Considering the amount of turnover this franchise saw the days, months, years following this turnaround has been amazing!
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• The "consternation" wasn't nearly as bad as when USC hired him. Heritage Hall received literally thousands of emails, faxes and letters from people threatening to stop going to games, stop contributing and generally exclaiming what a horrible hire it was. A couple of years later those same people were busy partying on campus and in Exposition Park before game days as USC was into an amazing run.

Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

i'm confused here, are you an ATL fan or a Seahawk fan?.. not talking smack just curious. either way he would not have lost his job.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

WE...?
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• This was Pete's make or break year.

Looks like it's time for an extension.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think Dirty Bird's auto-correct picked we instead of he. Not sure why he figures a coach hired to turn around a team that just won 9 games in two years would have been fired after winning the division with a rag-tag team at 7-9 would have been fired the next year after going 7-9 a second time.

The ownership knows the cupboard was bare. They just got rid of a guy after 1 yr and was on the hook to pay him 12 mil. To turn around after yr 2 and fire a coach you owed 15 mil to would have been short-sighted. As a non-fan not knowing the lay of the land, I gather you can only listen to what the pundits say. There were those who put Carroll on the hot-seat if he was not successful this year. I don't think that is true but we will never know. Just like Bird's thought. It is speculation with no way to back it up, since it didn't happen. Allen would have to be quoted saying this was the case so we need to wait for the next book to come out.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Silly comment - and you couldn't be more wrong. That was the end of Carroll/Schneider's first season, and a completely destruction of the roster was in progress.

It was always a minimum 4 year project regardless.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• drdiags wrote:I think Dirty Bird's auto-correct picked we instead of he. Not sure why he figures a coach hired to turn around a team that just won 9 games in two years would have been fired after winning the division with a rag-tag team at 7-9 would have been fired the next year after going 7-9 a second time.

Doc... Your response indicates you believe that the Hawks beat the Saints in the playoffs in Pete's 2nd season... but that's not the case... it was in 2010, which was Pete's 1st season as the HC.

2011 was Pete's 2nd season... and we didn't make the playoffs last year.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• If I remember correctly, 1-11-10 was also the day Mcgwire came clean on his steroid use which, in turn of course, dominated the headlines.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I was freaking STOKED when uncle Pete was hired. I LOVED it then, I loved it every day since then. Congratulations to Paul Allen for getting it right.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• i was at the movies waiting for avatar to start when my buddy texted me about this...we were texting back and forth during those 3 long hours.
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

I appreciate a good troll, but trolling only works well when you have your facts straight.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:
    Dirty Bird wrote:I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.

I appreciate a good troll, but trolling only works well when you have your facts straight.

I don't think he's trolling. He just doesn't seem to have a lot of facts straight and has a tendency to speak before thinking.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    Dirty Bird wrote:I still think that playoff win against the Saints saved his career. If we would have lost that game no doubt he would have been fired the following season.

I don't think he's trolling. He just doesn't seem to have a lot of facts straight and has a tendency to speak before thinking.

What he obviously doesn't understand is how Paul Allen operates. He very seldom does anything rashly, and firing Pete after his first year would have been rash in the extreme. PA is not like other NFL owners. Not at all.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I totally loved the pc hiring. I actually couldn't believe it!
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

TROLL :pukeface: There was no way PC would have been fired after 1 year just because he to a bunch of misfits and got to a 7-9 team and a funny div win. From your logo it shows you have NO idea about what was happening here after PC got though his first year and you know nothing about the ownership here and that PC is actually VP of football operations.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

What "if" Mike Smith fails to get out of the first round? Again. Will your team be interviewing Gus Bradley too?
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• I'm a Southern California resident and a life long USC fan, who became a Hawk fan the day Pete was hired. I knew what was going to happen, but I sure had to put up with a lot of crap for a couple of years, reading all the desenters nasty comments.. I bit my tongue in silence, just waiting for what was to come. I now feel vidicated..!!
    GO HAWKS....
    Donn2390
    NET Rookie

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    drdiags wrote:I think Dirty Bird's auto-correct picked we instead of he. Not sure why he figures a coach hired to turn around a team that just won 9 games in two years would have been fired after winning the division with a rag-tag team at 7-9 would have been fired the next year after going 7-9 a second time.

Doc... Your response indicates you believe that the Hawks beat the Saints in the playoffs in Pete's 2nd season... but that's not the case... it was in 2010, which was Pete's 1st season as the HC.

2011 was Pete's 2nd season... and we didn't make the playoffs last year.

Oh, I know the history. Maybe my wording was convoluted but the 9 losses were Mora's and Holmgren's. Oh well, maybe I will try writing in a different tense or style. Surely I know that Pete went to the playoffs with Matt, before bringing in TJack. Hmmm ... oh well.

The original sentence was pretty obtuse and ran on for awhile.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Fox0r wrote:What day was John Schneider hired? We need to make it a state holiday in Washington state.

Yes, John Schneider is an instrumental part of the package with Pete. Scheider put the pieces of the puzzle together.
    Vesuve
    NET Bench Warmer

• Pete was hired specifically because he came in with an organized, outlined 4-year plan, among other things.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Pete was hired specifically because he came in with an organized, outlined 4-year plan, among other things.

He was the "Un-Mora".
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• I have said it before, I was in STL, literally in a rental car at the parking lot of the Earth City Residence Inn (which is located next to the Rams training facility) and I overheard two members of their staff saying "Mora just got canned". The other guy said "Seattle's Mora?" Which was verified. I immediately searched local sports radio on the way to the airport and it was all over their airways. I was shocked, but excited because frankly I didn't like Mora's loyalty to that butcher Greg Knapp.

By the time I got to the airport, I was at the Cuervo bar for 30 seconds before I heard that the Hawks were making a deal for PC. I was immediately elated enough to order doubles of 1800 with Bud chasers and laughing with glee. I knew that there would be major changes. I had no idea that PC wouldn't waste time and literally reboot the entire team.

I knew that PC would have a major list of talented players from recruiting, for years to come. What really made that day special was knowing that Paul Allen wasn't screwing around. He could see that Mora wasn't going to improve and he didn't mess around, he just let him go and so far, it has been the best move he has made following the purchase of the team. They were immediately competitive and now we are looking upon a strong, sustained run of success in the NFL.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information