Cap Space for 2013

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":5afg8n51 said:
Shock2k":5afg8n51 said:
So I think it's cold to say, but do you trade Clemons for picks?

Can't trade an injured player.

Yes I know. I mean after he's recovered. A better question would have been, when do we part with Clemons?

aawolf

Reaction score
SharkHawk":190bz5wa said:
The Hawks signed Kerney and our defense improved significantly. He had over 15 sacks I believe and was the frontrunner for the DPOY for much of the season. The pressure he created made a very poor defensive backfield almost serviceable. His injuries that piled up after that year though ended his career, but he was a big boost for our team. Finding another guy like him this offseason would be big I think. Who is out there? I don't know, but it can certainly have an impact. Even the Hawks acquisition of Clemons and Raheem Brock helped the defense to make significant strides right off the bat. I don't guess that's what you mean by big signings though.

I can go back to one though, and it will maybe change your mind, and this is if you're talking over a long period of time, and not just in the past few years, and it was when the Packers signed Reggie White. Was there ever a bigger move as far as turning a team's defense and ultimately its franchise's fortunes around? I don't think so. They went from being a team that were developing, into a team that was dominating. Reggie made that team go, and it kind of irritates me how much credit Favre gets for that era, when you look at what he did every other year in his career. Reggie's prime/dominant years were the same for the Packers. He was amazing. He probably put together a couple of the best seasons by a DL ever in NFL history.

Good point about Reggie White...but, you had to go back a few years for that one. Admittedly, the most dominant defensive lineman I'd ever seen in any uniform he wore.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
What about Melton at the three-technique? Played for the Bears and is UFA this season. He has thirteen sacks in the last two years. He is only twenty-six years old as well.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Shock2k":ssdbllc0 said:
Hasselbeck":ssdbllc0 said:
Shock2k":ssdbllc0 said:

Yes I know. I mean after he's recovered. A better question would have been, when do we part with Clemons?

He will be too old to get any draft pick.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I saw it mentioned on Fieldgulls that Washington is due 3.3 million next year. Surely that number's going to need to go down if not disappear completely. I love Leon, but he can probably take a paycut on this team.

JKent82

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3cuvxrow said:
I saw it mentioned on Fieldgulls that Washington is due 3.3 million next year. Surely that number's going to need to go down if not disappear completely. I love Leon, but he can probably take a paycut on this team.

Mmm Leon definitely is a potential pay-cut candidate. We need another explosive piece for the offense and a rookie who can fill that need and return the ball cheaply could be serious option. If Washington gave more on offense I might not think about.

Leon's still plenty effective so perhaps it'd be fixing something that isn't broke.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
About R. Wilson. They don't have to give him a new contract cus he's already on a contract for 3 years am i correct?
Basically they can underpay him and he will be a starter for years to come. But that would mean no respect for Wilson.
Can someone elaborate on this?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The reason our cap is in such good shape is because almost all of our impact players are still on their rookie contracts. 4 or 5 years from now I dont expect this to look so rosey.

mikeak

Reaction score
Barthawk":30zhmelj said:
I say lock up your own.. Kam, Jason Jones and/or Browner in the offseason.. can't entertain extensions for Sherm or KJ until after 3 accrued seasons..

This plus resign players with good contracts but with signing bonuse you move future cap hits into next year freeing up money for Sherman year after and RW two years later

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Shock2k":upw7wqvr said:
Hasselbeck":upw7wqvr said:
Shock2k":upw7wqvr said:

Who would trade for an over 30 year old player coming off of major knee injury?

Come on man. Think

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":2opf527k said:
About R. Wilson. They don't have to give him a new contract cus he's already on a contract for 3 years am i correct?
Basically they can underpay him and he will be a starter for years to come. But that would mean no respect for Wilson.
Can someone elaborate on this?

You are not ALLOWED by the new CBA to renegotiate for 3 years. RW has a four year contract

kearly

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":u6irvdbu said:
Seahawks - ton of cap space....so, no need to jettison Flynn or Miller after all.

The $13.2 million carry over number this year conceals the truth of a fairly tight cap situation. After this year there won't be cap carry over anymore. Basically, we are $5.4 million under the cap with an extra $13.2 million available just for this offseason. Keep in mind that you need about $4+ million available to sign your draft class.

I do think this cap number makes Miller very safe. It seems like his high cap number this year was in anticipation of this situation.

Flynn still makes a lot of sense to trade/release. While the incentive to lose his $7.25 million cap hit in 2013 is reduced, he's going to count for $8.25 million against the cap in 2014, and in that season we won't have the benefit of cap rollover. Seattle can hold on to Flynn for one more season if they want, but they will basically have to deal him by next year or else they'll have little chance of retaining their notable free agents.

So basically, Seattle is in a good situation. They can listen to offers for Flynn now, and if none of them are good enough, they can carry him another season and try dealing him in early 2014.

A-Dog

Reaction score
aawolf":1vljslr3 said:
As a side question related to this topic: has a team really ever truly "turned their team around" with the aquisition of a big free-agent defensive lineman?
Reggie White? Charles Haley? Simeon Rice?

UH, yeah. Top defensive lineman win you Championships.

We should absolutely spend the money to replace Clemons, if the right guy is available.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3olyunam said:
themunn":3olyunam said:
SouthSoundHawk":3olyunam said:
To go along with the Flynn cap arguement, I just look at it as if there's X amount of money to be spent at the QB position, and I don't care how it's used up as long as it helps the team win (IMO).

Let's try and paint a mental picture...

Flynn and Wilson are two parts of a whole, it doesn't mater how that cap is sliced. If they want to trade Flynn to have three parts of a whole filled at the QB position, that's all fine and dandy. However, if they bring someone in, they'll only be saving a few million until Wilson gets a contract extension. Then that missing fourth will then again be filled.

I think I spent too much time in math class...does any of thismake sense to anyone else? haha. I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words...

that works if you want to spread contracts uniformly
say, as a hypothetical example - sherman could have his contract renewed this year (he can't), we could frontload a contract that pays him what he deserves. And that 8m or whatever it is that we'd have to pay to Flynn could all go to Sherman this year, with a contract with low(er). future cap implications, but pays the man what he deserves.

So, consider, for example a 5 year 50m contract (which is in the range of what we will have to pay Sherman if he keeps up his performances)

Instead of trying to spread it as 10m a year and taking a 10m cap hit every year, we could dump Flynn this year, augment Sherman's base salary in 2013 with the cap and thus reduce the cap hit in future years. It'd basically be the exact opposite of what teams whose window is "closing" do (huge signing bonus, long contract, cap hit spread over many years instead of up-front).

Then, when it comes time to renew Wilson's contract, you've got a bit more room because you used that cap space wisely a few years previously

You almost never see a player get a first year base number much over the minimum. That would be POOR cap management. You pay the man with a SIGNING BONUS. This gives him the huge money for this year, then in the following years, the annual salary grows with other bonuses set to augment that as well. Having the Signing bonus allows teams to let the cap hit over the length of the contract, so if the player gets a $15 million signing bonus and his contract is for 5 years, it would spread out at $3 million per year. This is a MUCH more likely scenario than giving a small signing bonus and upping his base salary to count against the cap in the early years. Also, to alleviate cap numbers later in the contract as the base salary increases, teams just re-sign them to new contracts that give them a fresh signing bonus that stretches out again. This is how teams often play the slight of hand tricks with the salary cap. Flynn's next 2 seasons won't keep us from signing any of our guys. ESPECIALLY with the knowledge that we have over $18 million in cap money. This is plenty to be able to sign our guys, bring in some good free agents and have money left over.

You don't see it because everyone puts themselves in "cap hell". It makes PERFECT sense to load up year one salary if you have the room. Advantages is not hitting next year and if you cut the guy it doesn't hurt the cap. Sherman after next season and RW after that is going to cost some money.