It's on like Donkey Kong; 'Skins DT calls Sherman a cheater

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Sherman was Stanfords leading receiver his freshman and softmore years but injured his knee in the fourth game his junior year. Harbaugh wanted Sherman to play through it and get surgery in the offseason but Sherman took advantage of an injury clause that red shirted the year for him so he could return a junior. Unfortunately Harbaugh didn't like that Sherman went against his will and had surgery, even though he would have been risking further injury. So Harbaugh blackballed him and buried Sherman on the depth chart. Sherman decided to ask the DC if he could get a tryout and the DC let him. Because of that Sherman only had one full season at CB and that hurt his draft capitol. Fortunately Pete and John took a chance on him.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:Sherman was Stanfords leading receiver his freshman and softmore years but injured his knee in the fourth game his junior year. Harbaugh wanted Sherman to play through it and get surgery in the offseason but Sherman took advantage of an injury clause that red shirted the year for him so he could return a junior. Unfortunately Harbaugh didn't like that Sherman went against his will and had surgery, even though he would have been risking further injury. So Harbaugh blackballed him and buried Sherman on the depth chart. Sherman decided to ask the DC if he could get a tryout and the DC let him. Because of that Sherman only had one full season at CB and that hurt his draft capitol. Fortunately Pete and John took a chance on him.

I didn't know that...interesting. The more I hear about him, the more I feel his smack talk is also calibrated. He certainly doesn't strike me as a dumb guy if he played as a graduated student at Stanford his final year there.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• Both these corners are good. However I keep saying this. Garcon will be the fastest receiver you guys will ever see. He is faster then RG3. If our offensive line gives RG3 time our receivers can get deep. Garcon, Moss and Robinson all run sub 4.3s in the forty. Sherman is strong and quick but I am curious to see how he covers our speedy receivers. While the most attention goes to receivers like Megatron he is not faster then Garcon. Garcon quite possibly is the leagues fastest man. Just wait and see.
    SkinsfortheWin
    NET Bench Warmer

• SkinsfortheWin wrote:Both these corners are good. However I keep saying this. Garcon will be the fastest receiver you guys will ever see. He is faster then RG3. If our offensive line gives RG3 time our receivers can get deep. Garcon, Moss and Robinson all run sub 4.3s in the forty. Sherman is strong and quick but I am curious to see how he covers our speedy receivers. While the most attention goes to receivers like Megatron he is not faster then Garcon. Garcon quite possibly is the leagues fastest man. Just wait and see.

Huh? You mean the Pierre Garcon who ran a 4.48 at the combine? Man, props to him if he's cut .2 off of his 40 time since 2008.

Moss is fast for sure (even though he's lost a step) and we have trouble with speedy slot receivers from time to time, so he and Robinson actually would worry me more than Garcon.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• LOL @ Garcon being the leagues fastest man...

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Now, back to reality.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:They're just pissed because he won his appeal. That, and they're doing the pre-game readying of excuses.

By the time this quote was made, the red potatoes had had lots of film work. They know his avoiding suspension hurts them bad.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• SkinsfortheWin wrote:Both these corners are good. However I keep saying this. Garcon will be the fastest receiver you guys will ever see. He is faster then RG3. If our offensive line gives RG3 time our receivers can get deep. Garcon, Moss and Robinson all run sub 4.3s in the forty. Sherman is strong and quick but I am curious to see how he covers our speedy receivers. While the most attention goes to receivers like Megatron he is not faster then Garcon. Garcon quite possibly is the leagues fastest man. Just wait and see.

If he can get off the line cleanly (which is unlikely with how much press coverage we play) I'll be worried, but he's going to get off that line clean at all.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I have a connection here that can tell you about Harbaugh. He is a total ass. I'm surprised Sherm didn't get kicked out of school for breathing without permission. He is an absolute control freak, and his house of cards will cave in on him. His only hope is to win a Super Bowl before it happens. This next 2 years could be his only shot. He'll burn out on how he deals with players and vice-versa and will be a Dale Brown from there on out. That's my prediction.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• In my opinion, some scouting staffs (and nearly all pundits) get too entrenched in their thinking as to what makes a good player. They can be guilty of groupthink. Look at what happened here with Aaron Curry. Everyone looked at his measurables and figured he was a slam dunk. Conversely, Green Bay looked at Clay Matthews and saw a kid who'd worked his butt off to go from walk-on to starter at USC and who had some unique skills they could use.

Pete and John take the Green Bay approach. Pete has always done this. They have profiles they use just like all the other teams, but they also look at guys who have something unique and special that can be brought out and developed. They look for what a guy can do, not what he can't.

Sherman was one of Stanford's top receivers, but he and Harbaugh clashed and Harbaugh tossed Sherm to the bottom of the pile. At that point, Sherman switched to CB, just to be able to play and get away from Harbaugh's direct influence. This is only his fourth year at CB, and we're seeing the natural development as he's adjusted to the position. He also uses his knowledge as a receiver to make plays on the ball. And Pete saw his ability, along with the height and the large chip on Sherm's shoulder, and knew he and his staff could develop that talent.

ETA: Pete played safety, and secondary play is his bread and butter as a coach. It's a major part of why Shanahan wanted to hire him as the Broncos DC.
    Last edited by sc85sis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• SharkHawk wrote:I have a connection here that can tell you about Harbaugh. He is a total ass. I'm surprised Sherm didn't get kicked out of school for breathing without permission. He is an absolute control freak, and his house of cards will cave in on him. His only hope is to win a Super Bowl before it happens. This next 2 years could be his only shot. He'll burn out on how he deals with players and vice-versa and will be a Dale Brown from there on out. That's my prediction.

And going from a control freak coach in Harbaugh to one of the most famous "players" coaches in Carroll must be like night and day. No wonder Sherm and Baldwin feel the need to rip Harbaugh at every opportunity.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Listen to this man, WAS + GARCON = RECORD(8 - 1)

Shut down Garcon, this team isn't nearly as effective. With Browner on Santana, that leave Hankerson and Morgon. Though (Santana + Hank + Morgan) -NotEqualTo (Garcon).
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Trenchbroom wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:I have a connection here that can tell you about Harbaugh. He is a total ass. I'm surprised Sherm didn't get kicked out of school for breathing without permission. He is an absolute control freak, and his house of cards will cave in on him. His only hope is to win a Super Bowl before it happens. This next 2 years could be his only shot. He'll burn out on how he deals with players and vice-versa and will be a Dale Brown from there on out. That's my prediction.

And going from a control freak coach in Harbaugh to one of the most famous "players" coaches in Carroll must be like night and day. No wonder Sherm and Baldwin feel the need to rip Harbaugh at every opportunity.

I thought the way Alex Smith was treated was reprehensible as well. Sure, you play to win...but Alex Smith was winning and playing his best ball!

Now they are putting a rookie in over a vet that took him to the NFC Championship game last year. You wonder if that hurts team morale at least a little bit.

I hope they get taken out and he has to answer the merciless media frenzy about "what if you had stayed with Alex Smith".
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• I can not wait for tomorrows interview on Sherman and Browner on NFL Network. Caught a preview yesterday. Browner said Moss likes to talk a lot as he did in the last meeting, But they just slapped him around a bit. If he wants to talk again we will slap him around some more. LMAO. I was rolling! Of course do not quote me on that. But it was very close.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• djb28 wrote:I can not wait for tomorrows interview on Sherman and Browner on NFL Network. Caught a preview yesterday. Browner said Moss likes to talk a lot as he did in the last meeting, But they just slapped him around a bit. If he wants to talk again we will slap him around some more. LMAO. I was rolling! Of course do not quote me on that. But it was very close.

Browner was used and abused the last time these two teams met. Browner's lack of speed is going to be put to the test by Kyle Shanahan. When you see #11 Aldrick Robinson come in the game, it usually indicates there will be a deep shot coming soon. Or they like to send him deep just as a decoy to clear the middle out. Robinson claims he has 4.2 40 speed, although his official combine numbers were 4.4. He is definitely the fastest guy on the Redskins roster.
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

• I'm going to be really interested to see how the game actually plays out, then come back to all these posts and see who had it right.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• drastik wrote:
    djb28 wrote:I can not wait for tomorrows interview on Sherman and Browner on NFL Network. Caught a preview yesterday. Browner said Moss likes to talk a lot as he did in the last meeting, But they just slapped him around a bit. If he wants to talk again we will slap him around some more. LMAO. I was rolling! Of course do not quote me on that. But it was very close.

Browner was used and abused the last time these two teams met. Browner's lack of speed is going to be put to the test by Kyle Shanahan. When you see #11 Aldrick Robinson come in the game, it usually indicates there will be a deep shot coming soon. Or they like to send him deep just as a decoy to clear the middle out. Robinson claims he has 4.2 40 speed, although his official combine numbers were 4.4. He is definitely the fastest guy on the Redskins roster.

Well, if we are taking people at their word, then I heard he really runs a 3.8 forty yard dash. I heard it from my proctologist who happens tp work on Robinson's mother's anus as well.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• drastik wrote:
    djb28 wrote:I can not wait for tomorrows interview on Sherman and Browner on NFL Network. Caught a preview yesterday. Browner said Moss likes to talk a lot as he did in the last meeting, But they just slapped him around a bit. If he wants to talk again we will slap him around some more. LMAO. I was rolling! Of course do not quote me on that. But it was very close.

Wait I thought it was Garcon? Another Skins fan just said Garcon will be the fastest receiver we'll face. And all your receivers run 4.3 40's. We're toast!
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Garcon is very fast. Aldrick is faster.

Garcon is dangerous because he's strong, fast, and VERY quick. In terms of straight line speed, though, Aldrick Robinson is much faster.

Josh Morgan is slow as molasses. Santana is more quick than fast at this stage of his career, he's that guy that always finds a way to get open.
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

• If the Redskins are smart.. they won't try to attack Sherman.

They'll just wait until this guy sees the field:

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Moss in the slot against Trufant does give some cause for concern. Garcon and Morgan on the outside, not so much.
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• You ever notice nine times out of ten it's always the 8th string benchwarmers that talk smack like this? Dude has eight tackles all year.

It's like he woke up yesterday, and was like "damn, I'm probably not going to get to play in our awesome playoff game cause I suck. How do I make people pay attention to me like they are to all our other players?.........I know I'll talk some smack!"
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure his offense really appreciated his spew!
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Throwdown wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:No, but I would have thought he'd say something like "no one receiver may stand out, but they have a balanced attack and we all have to play good disciplined football on Sunday and take their crowd out of the game". Something to that effect.

Riggo, Sherman is just Sherman. He is arguably one of the best, if not the best CB in the league. And as fans, honestly we like his talk, because he does back it up. Realize too, he's gone up against some good recievers this year from some of the best offenses in the NFL. So I don't think you will see anyone here attempt to defend him (because we love ourselves some Sherman). But hey, we will see when he finally gets blown up in a game, if that ever happens.

How do you think he got so good so fast? 5th round draft pick etc. Do you think most people passed him over because 6'3 just isn't typical corner size?

I'm amazed at how well your secondary turned out, given there was relatively little noise about any of them coming into the league.

things like this happen in Seattle since these boys came along and saved us, another 5th rounder thats pretty damn good is Kam Chancellor, oh AND Browner was straight outta the CFL. Don't be so naive, people find starters as UDFA, we just find gems that never would've gotten a shot or would've had move positions because of their size (Browner, Chancellor, and Sherman). Pete Carroll knows what he's doing, I think its time for the rest of the league to notice this, this isn't the same Carroll that got his legs cut out from under him in New England, and this isn't the same guy from the Jets, and might not even be the same guy from USC.

to the bolded part . . . do you mean the cheater?? ;-)
    SkinsGuru
    NET Practice Squad

• SoCalSeahawk wrote:Moss in the slot against Trufant does give some cause for concern. Garcon and Morgan on the outside, not so much.

Garcon is the Redskins biggest weapon in the air.

Sadly he's been injured all season with a nagging foot injury, and the only games he's gotten to fully play in and finish this season have been the last 6.

He's a very dangerous player.
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

• Hasselbeck wrote:If the Redskins are smart.. they won't try to attack Sherman.

You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:If the Redskins are smart.. they won't try to attack Sherman.

You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?

He can be beaten, but not easily, and he makes quite a lot of plays.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:

I see he has 8 INTs - and I can't remember him getting burned in the game last year. Just haven't seen that much film of him...but I guess that's because he doesn't mess up much.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Even Revis gets beaten, so no, we don't think he's unbeatable. Sherman's got some ways to go...but I can see him taking over once Revis is done as the best CB in the league. Don't just take my word for it...look up his numbers (and no Pro Bowl votes don't matter- see: Deangelo Hall).
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

We don't think he's unbeatable. Do we think he's as good as Revis? Well he just put together a season as good as any Revis has ever managed, if not better.
    Quarterbacks avoid his side of the field and he STILL snagged 8 interceptions, and his 12 interceptions in 25 starts holds up pretty well considering Revis has 18 career ints. Hell, Sherman's one of 3 players in the last 10 years to record 8 interceptions and 3 FF (Ed Reed and Charles Woodson - who managed it twice - are the other 2).
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?

Yes, but y'all are acting like Pierre freakin' Garcon = Jerry Rice. Unguardable. Do you really believe he can't be covered or stopped?
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?

Yes, but y'all are acting like Pierre freakin' Garcon = Jerry Rice. Unguardable. Do you really believe he can't be covered or stopped?

I never said that...lol.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• lol at the sleeping on Garcon. Damn.
    LuvMySkins
    NET Bench Warmer

VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?

I never said that...lol.

They're all just a little skeptical that a player of Garcon's speed can be covered by a player of Sherman's speed. I think Sherman can, if it was that easy to beat Sherman it would've been done already.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:
    They're all just a little skeptical that a player of Garcon's speed can be covered by a player of Sherman's speed. I think Sherman can, if it was that easy to beat Sherman it would've been done already.
    [/quote]

Speed is only one part of the equation...Willie Gault and Renaldo Nemehiah were lousy WRs.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

loafoftatupu wrote:there are probably hard-core PED's for actual physical growth being used by someone from every team. That idiot knows it.

No doubt - there isn't a satisfactory urine test for HGH, and the NFLPA is fighting tooth and nail against blood testing. Doubt the owners really want it either...game is more marketable when you have athletic freaks across the board.

Really makes a mockery of both sides claims to care for the safety and well being of the players doesn't it? If they had hardcore testing and insured every player was clean, the talent level would decrease across the board - which wouldn't be a bad thing. The NFL was extremely popular back when guys didn't have this stuff to enhance their abilities. All this does is cause more injuries. That's it. Because some get away with it, the truly talented players get screwed.

I'd rather they test ALL players EVERY WEEK for everything.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:

Speed is only one part of the equation...Willie Gault and Renaldo Nemehiah were lousy WRs.

Well of course, that's why I think Sherman will be mostly fine. Garcon is a good player in his own right, but he's never faced a player of Sherman's caliber this year, no offense.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• a recievers 40 time is such a stupid stat to go off of for an argument,

Lockette had a great 40 time but could hardly catch a cold.
    HawksFan83
    NET Practice Squad

• hawksfan515 wrote:They're all just a little skeptical that a player of Garcon's speed can be covered by a player of Sherman's speed. I think Sherman can, if it was that easy to beat Sherman it would've been done already.

If Sherman can cover AJ Green, Megatron & Larry Fitzgerald with no problems I'm sure he'll be fine covering Garcon - he has similar speed to Tate, who Sherman practices against every day

HawksFan83 wrote:a recievers 40 time is such a stupid stat to go off of for an argument,

Lockette had a great 40 time but could hardly catch a cold.

It's a stupid stat to go off if the receiver can't do the basics - catch a ball and run a route.
    But when a receiver can do that, speed makes them totally different receivers to deal with, think Brandon Browner versus Mike Wallace (though I think BB has improved significantly since then, so it wouldn't happen again, but the speed is what made the difference in that game).
    themunn
    NET Veteran

hawksfan515 wrote:

I see he has 8 INTs - and I can't remember him getting burned in the game last year. Just haven't seen that much film of him...but I guess that's because he doesn't mess up much.

He is the best DB in the league this season, bar none. The guy is on fire and RG3 would be insane to throw against him. He has made so many great QBs pay by baiting them into a throw and spearing it out of the air. By the time he retires, Sherman could be Deion Sanders good, and that isn't even a homeristic exaggeration, he is THAT good.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Shock2k wrote:
    No, but I would have thought he'd say something like "no one receiver may stand out, but they have a balanced attack and we all have to play good disciplined football on Sunday and take their crowd out of the game". Something to that effect.

Riggo, Sherman is just Sherman. He is arguably one of the best, if not the best CB in the league. And as fans, honestly we like his talk, because he does back it up. Realize too, he's gone up against some good recievers this year from some of the best offenses in the NFL. So I don't think you will see anyone here attempt to defend him (because we love ourselves some Sherman). But hey, we will see when he finally gets blown up in a game, if that ever happens.

How do you think he got so good so fast? 5th round draft pick etc. Do you think most people passed him over because 6'3 just isn't typical corner size?

I'm amazed at how well your secondary turned out, given there was relatively little noise about any of them coming into the league.

Pete Caroll's scheme doesn't ask the CB's to do a ton of different things. Ask yourself, how many great CB's have there been at USC when he was there, then ask yourself how many of them have amounted to anything in the NFL? We drafted one of those guys early in Holmgren's tenure, Kris Richard, he's now our DB coach. CB is one of the more fungible positions on Pete's D. The guy that really makes it all work is Earl Thomas. Pete likes safties way more than CB's.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• Fastest guy on the field Earl Thomas or Lane our other CB, go ahead and throw up that deep ball with the pretty spiral. Reason we can be physical is Thomas covering the deep zone for BOTH sides of the field because he is that fast and that smart back there.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Tech Worlds wrote:Sherman was mocking thier receivers?

Anyone know what he said?

Irvin Interview is Tomorrow at 9:00 am on ESPN.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• i know this is off topic but i dont know think i should start its own topic, its obvious why the skins dont like Sherman, But why does it seem like their biggest target is Leon Washington? I've read several things about their players targeting him. And their fans keep saying " I hope we get a bone shattering hit on Leon"
    Is there a story there?
    Sorry for the hijacking i was just curious.
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Because of the coin toss last time we faced them maybe, him and Robinson were standing up for a guest of honor that was in the coin flip huddle along with Hargrove.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:You guys act lie Sherman = Revis. Unbeatable. Do you really believe he can't be caught on or beaten?

He can be beaten.. there's no such thing as a complete lock-down corner anymore. More likely than not though.. if there is a DB beaten tomorrow it won't be #25. Browner and Trufant are much more susceptible to being beat for a big play.

What Sherman has been known to do as well, is he will bait the opposing team QB throughout the entire game. So he may play off his guy a couple of times in hopes that the QB gets a little false confidence and makes a mistake.

Not sure if RG3 will do that.. as he protects the football exceptionally well, but it's something to keep in mind. Sherman is a VERY smart corner.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

He can be beaten but a lot of independent stat geeks point out his stop rate is pretty outstanding. The first Rams game this year was not one of his better games. He is a pretty smart DB and uses his familiarity from being a WR in his play. Both he and Browner seem awkward to me but Sherman is much more fluid, just gangly (sp).

A couple of things to consider. In 2010, not a single player on the Seahawks made the Pro-Bowl. The team was a fantasy football nightmare on offense as well as defense. To now have players that can be considered near the top of their position groups in less than 2 yrs, of course there may be an over-inflated opinion of said players.

But how do most players get to be known throughout the league unless they are QBs/WRs or RBs. Hype. It isn't just Seahawks fans hyping these players now. It is the silly media, the same media that still thinks the national audience cares or wants to hear about Tim Tebow and the Jets.

Around here, in the past few months, there has been a light switch that was flipped. Now this team and its fans are now being forced down people's throat like the 9ers, Patriots, Giants and Packers. They can easily be replaced with the Skins if things continue going well for your team.

I leave it up to others to dispute who is the best or not. Darrell Green was one bad mofo, but he probably has more respect within the Skins fanbase than he has with the Seahawks fans. Skins fans are more vested in his greatness. It makes them feel part of history. Snicker and let our delusional fans have their day in the sun. Or is that something else you want taken from them after tomorrow's game?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Great post as usual Doc. Dare I say EPIC. The comparison to Darrell Green seals it for me. You ask ANY Skins fan about Darrell and they will rave on and on about him for a long time. If you say something negative about Darrell you'll get your butt kicked, whether it be by an actual boot to the ass, or with a string of awards and statistics. Darrell is even very very well known to me, and I have never been to DC, don't watch a tremendous amount of Skins games, and am fairly Seahawk and college-centric in my viewing. But I know through our chance meetings over the years that Darrell Green was one of (if not the) best DB's to ever play. It's easy to see why. He was fast. He got the ball. He did the very things that Sherman does, in baiting QB's. He may not get you today, but Darrell would always end up ahead. Even if it was a season later. He remembered everything and played on that stuff.

So your comparison is beautiful. Darrell was blessed with being extremely fast. Fastest guy I ever saw except for maybe Devin Hester. He was lightning quick, and even in his 20th season was step for step with any receiver they put him on. But what made him great? His brain. He was so ridiculously smart. He knew tendencies on everybody. I'd say the Hawks had a very similar player in Dave Brown. Skins fans won't remember Dave, but we all will, for the very same reasons. If you burned Dave somehow in the first quarter, then he was picking you off for six points in the third, because he knew as a QB you just could NOT resist trying it again. You had to.... and Dave was right there waiting for the ball in the spot he knew it would be. For us as Hawks fans this is the best defensive backfield we've had since Dave Brown, Kenny Easley, Eugene Robinson, and Terry Taylor. I'd put those 4 guys up against any foursome at DB in NFL history and feel pretty darned confident that we were going to be alright. 2 of the greatest safeties to ever play the game were roaming the middle, a true amazing shutdown genius in Dave, and Terry was the young guy that could fly like he had wings on his feet. Too bad they didn't play together that long, but when they did.... we knew that we had a distinct advantage, especially with Green and Nash and I believe Bryant too up front. That was a defense that this team is looking like, and for old-timers like us, this is something we have EARNED as diehard fans, and you're darn right we're going to enjoy every great moment and watching them grow and learn and hopefully do something like bring us the trophy the 86 defense rightfully deserved. If they were in the NFC that year, they'd have made the playoffs and no doubt in my mind won the Superbowl.

I saw several writers who had the end of year power rankings with the Seahawks at #1 in 1986 and they didn't even make the playoffs. They were that good, but hit a stinker of a run on offense at the absolute worst time. They proved it head to head that they were better than the Giants though and everybody knew it. Unfortunately, Easley got sick, Taylor started using drugs (at least that was the rumor), and DB got old in a hurry and that was that. Let us relish our good fortune now. We've earned it as a fanbase.

One moment that really just brought a lot of emotion up in me was due to one of these players. Eugene Robinson won a Superbowl in Green Bay and they asked him for his thoughts right after the game, and it still chokes me up a bit even now. But he literally held that trophy up and said to the announcer that "This is for all of the fans in Seattle and in Green Bay too!" Yeah, he said Seattle before Green Bay. I loved that. Eugene went out there and played for a few teams, but his heart was always in Seattle and he wanted to thank US and tell us that this Lombardi that he was holding was as much ours as anybody elses. Sure it belonged to the Packers, but for him to even say that meant a lot. He knew we needed something and he offered it. It was one of the classiest things I've ever seen, and yet I'm afraid many never saw it. I did, and I had to get up and leave the room as I was watching it with all of my roommates in college and I had to just go sit in my room and dry my eyes, because it meant a lot. Now we have guys like that again putting us on the map, and I know that Eugene will be the first one cheering if we get that trophy and I hope like crazy it happens, and if it doesn't... oh well. It won't be because I short sold my team or said anything bad about them. I LOVE these guys and will hype them until I'm dead. Richard Sherman is better than Revis. There I said it. Why? Because I think it's true. If Richard Sherman were on the Jets he'd be the spokesperson for Nike, Gatorade, McDonalds, and Amazon.com right now. He's good. He's great. He's ours. We love him.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Was there any one play that really sealed it for you with Sherman? With Darrell I can still remember him running down Tony Dorsett from across the field to save a TD on a long run play, and his outstretched dive to stop Darren Wilson of the Vikings from scoring in the 1987 Championship game to tie in the final seconds.

Was he the greatest ever? That's highly debatable....but he was definitely deserving of his Hall of Fame credentials. From 1983 to 1990 I'd say he was the best in the NFL. Then Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders arrived and it became a bit more debatable.

Dude played for 20 years as a corner! To me that says he did everything right regarding how he treated his body. It makes me sad that the last half of his career we only made the playoffs once in 10 years. He played his last game under Spurrier...wish he could have gone out until a better team but he never complained or whined, just kept being the ultimate professional.

I know he and Art Monk used to call players to get together during the offseason and lift/condition back when they didn't have OTAs...they both led by example...much the way Russell Wilson and RGIII do now.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• Sherman had an INT where he made a better catch than any receiver I've ever seen. Extended out to about 10 feet and on his absolute tiptoes. I still don't know where he came from and how he got to that ball and caught it. It was amazing.

The play last week where he just baited Bradford all game and snuck in from nowhere to steal an INT and win the game was pretty cool too. He seems to come up with some pretty amazing plays that just make you go "WOW!", but the thing is that he doesn't get many opportunities. They are trying to stay away from him, but he is still quick and smart enough to get there and get involved.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information