Are we what we hate: The 2005 Pittsburgh SteAlers?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • There are some parallels there:

Dynamic, young QB acting like a veteran.

Mind-blowing efficiency in the passing game (ie, no need to throw for 300 yards to win, excellent ball protection, consistently reasonable third-down situations).

Top-5 defense with attitude.

A defensive monster with great hair (Polamalu, Sherman)

A team coming on very strong to close out the season, replete with national media buzz (one of the biggest "piss me off" things about the SteAlers '05 SB run).

With a final win, the team finishes with the same record.

And for sprinkles on top, one wily veteran left from the previous SB run (Willie Williams, Tru).

Throw in the fact that Lynch/Turbin > Parker/Bettis, and I'm getting sort of stoked about this comparison...especially the final result.

Anybody else see these parallels, or am I smoking Christmas crack?

DohBoy

PS: Happy Festivus!
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

• No, our QB isn't a rapist.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• /thread
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:No, our QB isn't a rapist.

Fair enough.

Also, I don't think RW owns a Hayabusa either.
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

• We are the 2012 Seahawks. Compare to past teams all you want, but I find us pretty unique.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• I don't hate the Steelers because of those things you mentioned in your post. I have many other reasons why to hate them and it started well before the Superbowl. Then the pre festivities to the bowl started the scratching on the chalkboard, and after the game it was like the whole Squealers are scratching on the chalkboard every time they show up on my tv.
    run and shoot
    NET Practice Squad

• @run and shoot,

No, I didn't mean to imply anyone hates the SteAlers for the reasons I listed above. Rather, it was just the fact that we dislike them because of the hype running up to the SB (essentially, everybody picked an 11-5 team and 6 seed over us) and then the officiating debacle that occurred in the SB.

DohBoy
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

• The other exception is, if we do make it to the Superbowl we will not get the favorable officiating that the 2005 Stealers got. Also we don't have an icon type player from New Orleans that will be playing their last game ever.
    Jayburd14
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• This season is all the defense imo. The way they are playing tells me that yes we can win it all with a rookie... If the defense fails its on one person... Rw # 3
    Week 1 of the preseason vs. The Tennessee Titans, I said the Seahawks were winning the superbowl...

"Oh and by the way, Go Hawks!!!" Russel Wilson
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

• DohBoy, you came damned close to going on my ignore list with this thread. You totally pissed me off.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully, if the league/refs want to hand the SB to us gift wrapped on a silver platter, I wouldn't turn it down.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Are we what we hate: The 2005 Pittsburgh SteAlers?

Bite your tongue.
    gtcotcakya
    NET Rookie

• I don't think we'd have to have any help winning a big game, so no.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• F*** the Steelers
    WeakBeak
    NET Rookie

• Jayburd14 wrote:The other exception is, if we do make it to the Superbowl we will not get the favorable officiating that the 2005 Stealers got. Also we don't have an icon type player from New Orleans that will be playing their last game ever.

Detroit

Sunday nights game was especially delicious for me, as I hosted an Xmas party which was just filled with Steeler fans whining about missing the playoffs while the Hawks destroyed the 9ers.
    Bloodrunsblue
    NET Rookie

• Do we have an overweight running back beloved by the entire nation who hails from host town of the Super Bowl and just deserves to retire stripes cum laude with a trophy?

I don't think so.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Perhaps it the synergy created by "Brut" and "Old Spice" gift sets (apparently nobody loves me), perhaps it's the hours I've spent w/the youngin' building his Lego Death Star (apparently Mom & Dad are spending their retirement on the grandchildren), perhaps it's the repeated playing of "Last Christmas" by Wham(!) on the radio...but whatever caused it, I want to apologize to those I've offended with my '05 SteAlers comparison.

DohBoy
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

• DohBoy wrote:There are some parallels there:

Dynamic, young QB acting like a veteran.

Mind-blowing efficiency in the passing game (ie, no need to throw for 300 yards to win, excellent ball protection, consistently reasonable third-down situations).

Top-5 defense with attitude.

A defensive monster with great hair (Polamalu, Sherman)

A team coming on very strong to close out the season, replete with national media buzz (one of the biggest "piss me off" things about the SteAlers '05 SB run).

With a final win, the team finishes with the same record.

And for sprinkles on top, one wily veteran left from the previous SB run (Willie Williams, Tru).

Throw in the fact that Lynch/Turbin > Parker/Bettis, and I'm getting sort of stoked about this comparison...especially the final result.

Anybody else see these parallels, or am I smoking Christmas crack?

DohBoy

PS: Happy Festivus!

No, Wilson is too short.

The Seahawks doesn't have the East Coast bias going for them.

The Seahawks won't be playing in the Super Bowl in a Western stadium venue.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• We aren't anything like the rustbuckets. Our helmets are symmetrical.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Bloodrunsblue wrote:
    Jayburd14 wrote:The other exception is, if we do make it to the Superbowl we will not get the favorable officiating that the 2005 Stealers got. Also we don't have an icon type player from New Orleans that will be playing their last game ever.

Detroit

Sunday nights game was especially delicious for me, as I hosted an Xmas party which was just filled with Steeler fans whining about missing the playoffs while the Hawks destroyed the 9ers.

I said New Orleans, because that is where the Super Bowl is at.
    Jayburd14
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• There are two wily vets on this team. Tru and Leroy Hill!
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• We are more like the Raiders of the 70's, a team that talked and backed it up and were physical and would smack youin the mouth on defense. On offense they had a lot of weapons that were never really appreciated until later. Not a lot of talk just determination and scores. They never got the refs to side with them either and it was always a challange for them.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Do we have a past-his-prime veteran whose home town is the city where the Super Bowl will be played, such that the national media will try to make THAT the big story of the game? :pukeface: (Good God, the national media can be soooooo shallow at times.)
    Escamillo
    NET Rookie

• SalishHawkFan wrote:DohBoy, you came damned close to going on my ignore list with this thread. You totally pissed me off.

That'll put him in his place. He would rather die than piss someone off on the internet!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• We dont have a running back from Detroit!
    God I hate Pittsburgh. I wish Harbaugh would have gone there so they could all practice their douchiness together.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:We are more like the Raiders of the 70's, a team that talked and backed it up and were physical and would smack youin the mouth on defense. On offense they had a lot of weapons that were never really appreciated until later. Not a lot of talk just determination and scores. They never got the refs to side with them either and it was always a challange for them.

Been thinking this for several days now so obviously I agree with you Chris. :13:

Oh, and one area the Hawks aren't like '05 Pissburgh.....Wilson is already better than Rapistburger and certainly beter than the '05 version. If Seattle gets to the SB, his play will be far beyond what Little Ben's was in that game. Remember, his play in that game was abysmal.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• We would Steel their lunch money, wreck the Bus, and add a new Ward to Bellevue.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Their are enough differences to keep me from getting pissed off 8)

The QB's:
    -Ours is a modest-statured Boy Scout; theirs is a tall, corn-fed rapist.
    -Ours has a plethora of moves to fit any situation; theirs pretty much stands still and pump-fakes until a receiver comes open, as the entire D bounces off his fat ass! It reminds me of sand lot football where the QB is in his senior year of HS and he's playing against itty, bitty middle schoolers.

The Safeties: Earl Thomas may not be as big as Troy, but he's as fast, covers and tackles just as well and actually has a masculine sounding voice. :stirthepot: The rest of their secondary?? No comparison! Without pressure they're pretty unremarkable...reminds me of a team we played last Sunday.

Owners:
    Pretty remarkable that we're winning in this fashon without owning the NFL and its refs. We all know the advantage the Roonies have with their 'big market' team. Seeing us actually creating some buzz right now with more than just the W/L columns is something quite unique through, and I credit that directly to Pete. Before long, fans and players of other teams might actually know we have a Governor and not a Pharaoh. 8)
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I really wish people would let 2005 go..... makes Hawk fans look like whiners.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I think we're like the 05 Steelers because we have a QB and a RB and a few WRs and some linemen, a muddle of safeties, linebackers and cornerbacks, a coach, some fans and a location where we play quite a bit more than any other location.

I think we're closer to the 2014 Seahawks (you know that team that ended the bottle poppin of the 72 Dolphins?).
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• I know a lot of you dislike Troy P. because he's a Steeler, but I think you'd love him had he been a Hawk. He's a monster on the field. Off the field he's a very high-character guy--quiet, thoughtful and very caring according to everything I've ever heard or read.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• sc85sis wrote:I know a lot of you dislike Troy P. because he's a Steeler, but I think you'd love him had he been a Hawk. He's a monster on the field. Off the field he's a very high-character guy--quiet, thoughtful and very caring according to everything I've ever heard or read.

Polamalu is one of the few Steelers I like and respect. Dude is crazy. (I also think Tomlin is a very good coach, too.)

That said, I wish this thread would get the axe.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Nah, we win games legitimately.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• chris98251 wrote:We are more like the Raiders of the 70's, a team that talked and backed it up and were physical and would smack youin the mouth on defense. On offense they had a lot of weapons that were never really appreciated until later. Not a lot of talk just determination and scores. They never got the refs to side with them either and it was always a challange for them.

I hope we don't follow the Raiders trend to their current era performance.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• Well at least there are no great players from New Orleans who could be retiring with a Super Bowl win..

Oh. Shit.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information