Who would you rather play? Kaepernick or Alex Smith?

OP
OP
USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":h0wwsmwm said:
USArmyParatrooper":h0wwsmwm said:
Wenhawk":h0wwsmwm said:
Very tough call, I think Harbaugh made the right call as Kap is the future. Everyone knows what Smith can do, he was efficient but not a real threat. Kap on the other hand brings more big plays but more turnovers and inexperience. I think both would have trouble next Sunday Night but I think after seeing the issues Kap had wiht fumbling and trowing some very bad deep balls I'd rather face him right now. As someone stated before the Seahawks weakness is short to intermediate and crossing routes. Smith is probably better at those than Kap is so in particular Smith matches up better against our style of defense. Next year after Kap has already tasted the SEA VS SF rivalry and played a game at the CLINK he will be scary.

I fully expect Sunday to be a blood bath. NFC West has overtaken the AFC North for the toughest division in football. With two Super young talents in Wilson and Kap this rivalry is only getting better. I'm just glad the Hawks are a younger team so as soon as SF starts fading we can get some easy Division titles again.

That was actually a pretty well reasoned post, though I still prefer Kaepernick to start (as a 49ers fan).

One thing that's really making me nervous, though, is Justin Smith being hurt. That man is a BEAST. He would not have left the game unless his elbow was reaaaallly effed up. That's the type of player that he is. A huge, huge loss of the team to have him out for a game.

Hopefully my suspicions will be wrong and he plays.

Did he hurt the arm that he uses to hold the Tackle that is assigned to block Aldon Smith? If so, that is a significant loss for SF.

As far as Kaepernick, he made some throws on Sunday that an above average secondary would have made him pay for. He seems like he goes through his progressions well, but still makes some odd decisions while doing it.

Oh, please. Now I really hope he starts just so I can see this nonsense again.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I'd rather see Kap. He's a bit of a hot commodity right now but to me he has a gimmicky feel. At least while he settles into his long term identity. Smith while he has his moments can also be very effective. He is afterall the more cerebreal of the two. I feel like if Kap starts making mistakes he is more likely of the two to spiral out of control because of his inexperience.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper":j5mt865b said:
AF_Hawk":j5mt865b said:
Being that we have little to no pass rush, having Kaep run towards us can only benefit us, no? J/k, but we do need to figure out how to get a pass rush against the Niners outstanding offensive line.

Wha?? Our offensive line is horrible. They played well against the Patriots, though.
Man, you guys are spoiled if you think your line is horrible.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper":2geqjg77 said:
AF_Hawk":2geqjg77 said:
Being that we have little to no pass rush, having Kaep run towards us can only benefit us, no? J/k, but we do need to figure out how to get a pass rush against the Niners outstanding offensive line.

Wha?? Our offensive line is horrible. They played well against the Patriots, though.

Horrible? I don't think so.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but even when we played you earlier in the year the Niners o-line dominated.

OP
OP
USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":2pjgszzb said:
USArmyParatrooper":2pjgszzb said:
AF_Hawk":2pjgszzb said:

Horrible? I don't think so.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but even when we played you earlier in the year the Niners o-line dominated.

I'm talking about pass protection. We're one of the worst in the league. It's a little better now since kaepernick is more mobile.

drdiags

Reaction score
Either. At this point we know that Smith can win here or at home against the Seahawks, so it isn't like playing a mediocre 2nd string QB. He was the starter for a team that was a couple of special teams fumbles from the Superbowl.

Kaepernick has shown he can win in a historically challenging road game and in prime time games. He is more a wildcard to the Seahawks, since they haven't had extensive experience against him. Will be interesting to see how the 9ers decide to attack the Seahawks deep and with whom. Usually Davis is giving the team fits but now Crabtree and even Moss are getting shots and that I think is due to Kaep's elevation to starter.

So I would rather play Smith if playing a close game at home is the best chance to win. Kaep, if it is to be a high-flying shoot-out that has the country raving about the matchup.

So for entertainment value, Kaep. Not because I think it guarantees a win. Just because it could be a fun game to watch for all.

hawker84

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper":2gmgxw38 said:
AF_Hawk":2gmgxw38 said:
Kap personally. We beat Cam already this year, and for some reason struggle against Smith so I'd rather go with something the Seahawks defense has somewhat seen already and had success against.

You didn't struggle against Smith at all last time. Our Defense won that game.

your defense didn't beat us, our offenseive struggles and dropped balls beat us... to answer the question, smith all day every sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If the game was in SF I'd rather play Smith, but since it's our home game I'd rather play Kaepernick........because he's the one of the two QB's that's more likely to make mistakes in front of a hostile crowd.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have stated this elsewhere but will repeat for the OP since you asked :) part of this was in an earlier reply

Smith calmly moved across the field in the last game. It was a mix of short passes and Gore running the ball. Seattle hardly had the ball in the second half as we couldn't get SF off the field. It drained defenses and when the Seattle offense failed to get a first down right away it was a huge deal as it was another 7-10 minutes before they saw the ball again (20-30 minutes real time lol). That is not good for either offense or defense. It is a great way to play football when the game is close or you have the lead

Kap can score quickly - I can live with quick 7 points. It allows our offense back out there to stay in rythm and it gets the defense off the field. The defense will have more opportunities for picking off the long ball or hitting WR's just catching it in the secondary and hoping the ball will come loose. I think it is more of the future of the NFL and is great for when you are down / want to put up quick points to get a lead. It is not optimal when you have a lead by 2 or 3 td's (see NE game as example....)

Now on top of this you add a very loud environment and hopefully two very good CBs playing on Sunday night for the Seahawks. I hope we can stack the box to stop the run and play man to man in the secondary and still get the picks. I think Alex Smith would pick us apart over the middle where we have been weak in several games this year.

I said it before the NE game - I was hoping for a SF CLOSE loss. Only for the reason that I think Kap is better for the Hawks than Smith is and I wanted a SF loss that wouldn't be blamed on Kap. Sticking with that pick and happy we get to see Kap. Doesn't mean he won't torch us - just means I think we are better suited for his kind of game

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Kaepernick is the wildcard. For either bad or good. Against the Rams and Dolphins, he had a total of 1 TD. (rushing). Those are good defenses and he was effectively shut down. Averaging 196 yards/gm. Even against the Saints the offense only managed 17 points-- they won thanks to 2 pick 6's.

He's thrown for a mere 7 TD's in his 6 games he's started or played the majority of the game. 4of which came against a horrific PAT's passing defense. 6 of his 7 TD's have come against just 2 teams. (Pats on road, Bears @ Home).

The question is what trend is most relavent? Is it the feast of the PATs game and he going to be throwing several TD's from here on out, or is it the famine of the STL and MIA games?

Then you've got the Seahawks run defense that played Cam Newton brilliantly, but has since struggled at times against good backs. Can they get back to that CAR level of play. On the whole Kaepernick presents to me the greatest swing both positively and negatively. Whereas Smith doesn't make mistakes and if they don't make mistakes than it's hard to come out on top.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper":3fhquq64 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3fhquq64 said:
USArmyParatrooper":3fhquq64 said:
One thing that's really making me nervous, though, is Justin Smith being hurt. That man is a BEAST. He would not have left the game unless his elbow was reaaaallly effed up. That's the type of player that he is. A huge, huge loss of the team to have him out for a game.

Hopefully my suspicions will be wrong and he plays.

Did he hurt the arm that he uses to hold the Tackle that is assigned to block Aldon Smith? If so, that is a significant loss for SF.

As far as Kaepernick, he made some throws on Sunday that an above average secondary would have made him pay for. He seems like he goes through his progressions well, but still makes some odd decisions while doing it.

Oh, please. Now I really hope he starts just so I can see this nonsense again.

I knew that would get your rainbow panties in a bunch.

OP
OP
USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1na33i8u said:
Kaepernick is the wildcard. For either bad or good. Against the Rams and Dolphins, he had a total of 1 TD. (rushing). Those are good defenses and he was effectively shut down. Averaging 196 yards/gm. Even against the Saints the offense only managed 17 points-- they won thanks to 2 pick 6's.

He's thrown for a mere 7 TD's in his 6 games he's started or played the majority of the game. 4of which came against a horrific PAT's passing defense. 6 of his 7 TD's have come against just 2 teams. (Pats on road, Bears @ Home).

The question is what trend is most relavent? Is it the feast of the PATs game and he going to be throwing several TD's from here on out, or is it the famine of the STL and MIA games?

Then you've got the Seahawks run defense that played Cam Newton brilliantly, but has since struggled at times against good backs. Can they get back to that CAR level of play. On the whole Kaepernick presents to me the greatest swing both positively and negatively. Whereas Smith doesn't make mistakes and if they don't make mistakes than it's hard to come out on top.

Touchdown throws (as an isolated statistic) is overrated. If a QB drives the team 80 yards and the OC calls for the RB to run it in, same result. When already inside the 10 the difference between a TD throw and a running TD isn't really a meaningful way to assess a QB. Deep TD passes, on the other hand, are a different matter.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper":2e55hsvv said:
AF_Hawk":2e55hsvv said:

You honestly think the 49ers have a horrible offensive line? Wow.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Kaepernick all day everyday. Why? Simple, because Kaepernick is the Niners future. I think either qb could start and win or start and lose, but when I play our division rivals, I want to beat their "A" team, and Kaep is part of the Niners "A" team now and for the future.

OP
OP
USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper

Reaction score
hawker84":2e8rtde5 said:
USArmyParatrooper":2e8rtde5 said:
AF_Hawk":2e8rtde5 said:
Kap personally. We beat Cam already this year, and for some reason struggle against Smith so I'd rather go with something the Seahawks defense has somewhat seen already and had success against.

You didn't struggle against Smith at all last time. Our Defense won that game.

your defense didn't beat us, our offenseive struggles and dropped balls beat us... to answer the question, smith all day every sunday.

Right. Your offense put a whopping 6 points on the board and it had nothing to do with the Niners D.

You know good D's force fumbles, right?

OP
OP
USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":srfe4jt4 said:
USArmyParatrooper":srfe4jt4 said:
AF_Hawk":srfe4jt4 said:

You honestly think the 49ers have a horrible offensive line? Wow.

In terms of pass protection, yes. Absolutely.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Its a tough call. Kaep is more dynamic, but I also have a feeling he's just a bunch of turnovers waiting to happen. Smith is more steady and under control, but doesnt deliver the big play potential that Kaep does (but also highly capable of turnovers).

Being that the game is in Seattle and the 12th man is going to be in full roar I think i'd rather see the youngster who's only started a few games.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
USArmyParatrooper, you must be really nervous about this game. Why else would you come to a hawks forum. Enjoy getting blown out this week. You will be lucky to stay within 20.