Matt Flynn...

Hawks46

Reaction score
Throw in Ponder and Brady Quinn to that list.

I totally agree, I think he's probably better than about half the starting QBs in the NFL right now, or at least could be better with more playing time.

Question is, will he be satisfied to stay a backup ? I can't think that Pete will open up the competition next year.....hell, say Flynn did win it. What does that do for your continuity ?

The Radish

Reaction score
Some here getting a bit testy and over wrought cause not everyone agrees with them?

:141847_bnono:

We're just talking here,,,,no more coffee for those of you that take Flynn's value up/down to seriously.

:les:

Hawks46

Reaction score

I totally agree, I think he's probably better than about half the starting QBs in the NFL right now, or at least could be better with more playing time.

Question is, will he be satisfied to stay a backup ? I can't think that Pete will open up the competition next year.....hell, say Flynn did win it. What does that do for your continuity ?

schkoot

Reaction score
redhawk253":1yr5mnos said:
i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.. notice how our drives started to stall and we started kicking fg after fg when he came in.. im not gona say he looked terrible.. cuz he didn't.. but for a guy to come in with a 40somethin point lead and not be able to score on that defense.. he didnt do great. oh yeah and id rather we punt the ball then have our number 1 receiver take a hit like he did.. very lucky he wasn't injured there....

Hmmm... I seem to remember another Seahawks QB having some issues with easy TD passes being dropped on his first game... Against AZ no less.

I liked Flynn as QB1 at first, but it's clear Wilson has won the job. Some of you guys should ease up on Flynn--he's not a threat to your guy anymore.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Haha yea right. He does ok in garbage duty yesterday and suddenly his value rockets back up? There was only a 2 team market for him as a free agent, and since then, he was unable to win the starting job on his new team. Why would teams give up valuable draft capital for him now if they didn't even try to sign him as a Free Agent? He is just a career backup at this point, and I don't think career backups get traded for much. 6th or 7th rounder would be my guess at his market value, but I'd rather just keep him. I like the guy, and its nice to have a solid backup.

edogg23

Reaction score
It's clear Wilson has earned the right to be our QB. With that said, I still think Flynn can also be a top 10 QB in this league, so I hope he doesn't end up on a division rival at some point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":202mkbaf said:
Haha yea right. He does ok in garbage duty yesterday and suddenly his value rockets back up? There was only a 2 team market for him as a free agent, and since then, he was unable to win the starting job on his new team. Why would teams give up valuable draft capital for him now if they didn't even try to sign him as a Free Agent? He is just a career backup at this point, and I don't think career backups get traded for much. 6th or 7th rounder would be my guess at his market value, but I'd rather just keep him. I like the guy, and its nice to have a solid backup.

I'd also love to keep him as a backup, but his salary doesn't fit with that..........therefore a decision will have to be made to trade him or restructure his contract. My guess is Flynn won't go for the restructure, so the Hawks will have no choice but to trade.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yxdb7nah said:
Missing_Clink":yxdb7nah said:

I'd also love to keep him as a backup, but his salary doesn't fit with that..........therefore a decision will have to be made to trade him or restructure his contract. My guess is Flynn won't go for the restructure, so the Hawks will have no choice but to trade.
Especially since some important players will need to be re-signed in the near future. Guys like Sherman are going to see a huge pay increase.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3s56w9kb said:

Better than half the quarterbacks in the NFL? Based on what?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sgmkpsq said:
T-Sizzle":2sgmkpsq said:
Sgt. Largent":2sgmkpsq said:
The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's

What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.

20% of NFL QB's is eight starting QB's.

It's not a stretch for me to say that if you dropped Flynn in for any of these QB's, he'd do better.

- Gabbert
- Palmer
- Weeden
- Sanchez
- Cassel
- Skelton/Lindley
- Locker
- Henne

So NOT A STRETCH that any of these teams wouldn't consider giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn into camp to compete for a job.

-Gabbert and Henne play on the same team
-Cassel is the backup
-Skelton/Lindley are backups
-Weeden was drafted in the first round by the browns, the browns didn't even bother entertaining Flynn. Why would they want him now?

I actually don't think anyone on your list would do better than Flynn in their same situation.

mikeak

Reaction score
if Flynn is better than all the backups then he would be better than 50% of the qbs in the NFL.....

Just saying

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":16ujs5i8 said:
I actually don't think anyone on your list would do better than Flynn in their same situation.

So are you agreeing with me? I'm confused.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
redhawk253":ngeeilpg said:
i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.

I doubt like hell that he was told to go out there and go all Johnny Elway, more than likely he was told to not get careless, to just keep from throwing any picks, and hand off to RB's and eat up the clock,,,Simply put,, by the time Flynn entered the game, the fat lady had already sang.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The thing that jumped out at me yesterday was one of the things that Fieldgulls writers were pointing out on game tape after his signing: his longer windup. Yesterday my brain was distinctly registering an extra tick in Flynn's motion as compared to Wilson's fast release. Thomas Beekers saw a lot of that on Flynn's tape from NE/GB when he went for intermediate/deep shots, possibly his way of driving the ball. I don't think it was a factor on Flynn's tipped TD pass Sunday, but the relative slowness of that release will make tipped passes by the D-line a lot likelier if he gets more snaps.

Credit him for that Wilson-like clutch play, dock him for the longer release, dock him for lazy play-action, dock him for leading Rice right into a crushing hit that could have concussed him, and I still see a high-end backup who's costing money and doesn't fit this system. I honestly think we'd be just as well off trading him and developing Josh Johnson.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SEC FAN":2muo08zy said:
skater18000":2muo08zy said:
And a 2nd rounder and about $5,000, 000 of cap room back... btw great teams don't have great backups, I want a quarterback that can win 7-9 (TJack) Tjack is a great fit as a backup and the only reason heist the backup right now is because we stole a conditional from the bills... haha... he could come back...

Okay this is getting stupid. TJack isn't even the number 1 backup on a horrible Bills team. Great teams don't have good back ups? Like when Walsh picked up Young from the USFL to back up Montana, Rams picked up Warner from Arena Football to back up Trent Green, Patriots had Brady in the 6th I believe to back up Bledsoe, Stealers had Rapistburger to back up O'Donnell. Even when I was a little kid I remember Doug Williams, Frank Reich, and Hostetler were back ups who won/went to SuperBowls.

Like I said my friend the coaches already prefer Flynn over TJack so your TJack dreams need to go. That choice has been made. LOL, some Seattle people get so attached to sentimental guys like TJack. Reminds me of Seneca Wallace SMH.[/quote
========================================================

Yours is the only reply necessary. We are always one play from losing RW. Without a Flynn, that means we are always one play from losing the season. One poster suggested we move Flynn "because he wants to start and it would be the right thing to do". This is the same type of fan you reference above. The fan that actually thinks an individual is bigger than team. I am happy we are no longer the team that keeps a Dilfer...well, just because he's a good guy. We won't be moving Flynn, or any other player, because "it's the right thing to do". If such a transaction does not benefit the team, no transaction need be made. This new and improved FO wants wins and this is why teams like NE dump their SB MVP and why we should have dumped Alexander. Boo (or Boo-hoo) all you want. History proves I'm right.

bingotown

Reaction score
Ok so I haven't chimed in on this since page one........ God it's good to have a life. Battle on about insignificant stuff now.

HawkWow

Reaction score
bingotown":1ya0q3zk said:
Ok so I haven't chimed in on this since page one........ God it's good to have a life. Battle on about insignificant stuff now.

It is good you have a life. But I would hardly call the possible replacement of our franchise QB insignificant. You do realize you're on a Seahawk forum, right?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27aoz11n said:
dock him for leading Rice right into a crushing hit that could have concussed him.

True dat, same as we should dock RW for doing the same thing to Rice in the Bears game? :roll:

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
denial permeates this thread.

flynn looked good, threw some very good passes even with a quarter of play in for the first time (on a wide birth score). sharp passes complete and some bobbled by wrs.
*add: and I still say he beats phx and stl away games prior.

I think given the same games he throws better than RW, but ....we're going with RW for the youth and wheels (I can live with that, 3 games now and I like what RWs doing and there's more to come).

we may be able to retain flynn but I doubt it highly.

Latest posts