Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • an elite LT? Did well against Jared Allen today, allowed no sacks, and previous to this game was on a streak of allowing no pressures for the 49ers and Lions game, may have continued that streak.

Discuss.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• He always has been when healthy.

We've seen him shut down Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware. So we shouldnt be surprised by this.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• JSeahawks wrote:He always has been when healthy.

We've seen him shut down Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware. So we shouldnt be surprised by this.

Finally did well against the Smith's of SF too. Those guys are beasts.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

Agree Doc. Let's hope he can take that last step to being top notch.....and also a wish that he remains healthy the rest of his career.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I foresee some bringing up his health, but really other than a few freak injuries he has been what you want out of a first round LT. He started this season off a little sluggish but once he knocked the rust off he has been great. I say he is as good of a LT as there is in the NFL right now.
    When life slips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall.
    http://www.yakimamavericks.org
    Soppie
    NET Starter

• drdiags wrote:Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• nategreat wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.

Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Gosh damn it the false start wAs on Miller, they called the wrong #.

Okung just needs to stay healthy. His pass blocking is good, but his run blocking is ProBowl good
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start.

He's been getting false starts all year, and you say some REALLY ridiculous stuff.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• Hawk Strap wrote:Gosh damn it the false start wAs on Miller, they called the wrong #.

Okung just needs to stay healthy. His pass blocking is good, but his run blocking is ProBowl good

Based on the past few games, pass blocking is all-pro good. Just saying.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:

Not complaining, so please don't assume you know what I am trying to convey. I am just stating facts that would impact those that make the call of whether a player is elite or not. I don't care myself but some fans do. As well as those who make the call in the media. Everything has to be taken as a negative. How about just plain un-emotional statement of fact?

The more I read your response just makes it that much more of an ignorant post. Pick a fight with those looking for one. I am not the one, thanks!

EDIT: Changed all-pro to elite.
    Last edited by drdiags on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Okung played great today. No complaints from me. His play the last few weeks has also been stellar.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• drdiags wrote:
    Not complaining, so please don't assume you know what I am trying to convey. I am just stating facts that would impact those that make the call of whether a player is elite or not. I don't care myself but some fans do. As well as those who make the call in the media. Everything has to be taken as a negative. How about just plain un-emotional statement of fact?

The more I read your response just makes it that much more of an ignorant post. Pick a fight with those looking for one. I am not the one, thanks!

EDIT: Changed all-pro to elite.

My bad, didn't mean to come off as ignorant. And someone in another thread said that the false start was actually on Miller. Point is, I'm very satisfied with Okung's play as of late, and I don't mind the false starts cause I think he's already fixed those problems.

But yeah he'll have to prove he doesn't consistently draw penalties to be elite.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:

My bad, didn't mean to come off as ignorant. And someone in another thread said that the false start was actually on Miller. Point is, I'm very satisfied with Okung's play as of late, and I don't mind the false starts cause I think he's already fixed those problems.

But yeah he'll have to prove he doesn't consistently draw penalties to be elite.

I am always pro-Seahawks. I don't care what the experts say. I am glad to have Okung as well as Carpenter, Wilson, Irvin and others. Because I want to believe my team is the best.

Okung when healthy has always shown me that he is a quality LT. You get no dispute from me. Even Walter Jones had a flag every now and then. Though that may be blasphemy. Sorry about the ignorant statement, it was more sarcastic probably due to you thinking I am a anti-Okung fan. Far from it. Anyway, my bad.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• drdiags wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:

I am always pro-Seahawks. I don't care what the experts say. I am glad to have Okung as well as Carpenter, Wilson, Irvin and others. Because I want to believe my team is the best.

Okung when healthy has always shown me that he is a quality LT. You get no dispute from me. Even Walter Jones had a flag every now and then. Though that may be blasphemy. Sorry about the ignorant statement, it was more sarcastic probably due to you thinking I am a anti-Okung fan. Far from it. Anyway, my bad.

Classy as always. Not your bad Dr Diags, but gotta give you props for owning up to it on the internet :sarcasm_off:
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Okung is a bust. Remember?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I'm not gonna say elite...I'll say it in 4 years when he has an all-pro and a few pro-bowl nods....he's definitely living up to 1st rounder though as far a blocking goes. His penalties can be worked on. Keep in mind who we had before...-no one- will live up to that. He's doing pretty darn good when he's healthy.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:Okung is a bust. Remember?

yeah he plays scared.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• SmokeyHawk wrote:I'm not gonna say elite...I'll say it in 4 years when he has an all-pro and a few pro-bowl nods....he's definitely living up to 1st rounder though as far a blocking goes. His penalties can be worked on. Keep in mind who we had before...-no one- will live up to that. He's doing pretty darn good when he's healthy.

-SH

Yup
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• His start to the season wasn't very good, but he's definitely picked it up the last few weeks. I don't know that I'd call him an elite LT just yet, but he's definitely above average.
    SeahawkDreadlocks
    NET Practice Squad

• "Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start."

FYI he leads the league this year in penalties by an OLman. Giacommini is 2nd behind him, so the whole "1 penalty thing" is WAY off.

I personally think he was getting a lot of those false starts because he was playing injured, and he needed the jump, but if he could stay healthy, he'll be a good one.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:
    FYI he leads the league this year in penalties by an OLman. Giacommini is 2nd behind him, so the whole "1 penalty thing" is WAY off.

I personally think he was getting a lot of those false starts because he was playing injured, and he needed the jump, but if he could stay healthy, he'll be a good one.

Actually, I wouldn't say it's that far off. From what I can tell, before this week, he was TIED for first overall with two other offensive lineman, with 9 penalties (6 false starts, 3 holds) for a total of 60 yards. I can't remember if he was actually able to make it back for the season opener or not, but I'm thinking he's started every game this year. That averages out to about 1.1 penalties a game. I'll take it. It's not perfect, but nobody is. And like you said, I think a lot of it has had to do with playing injured and not quite being up to speed on things.

Here are the penalty statistics for the year so far. I am assuming this is through the first 8 weeks:

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• He had most all of those penalties in the first few games. I noticed watching him that he was really having issues w/ his kick-slide in pass pro looking slow and awkward. He was wearing big ankle braces for good reason so that may have been the issure or still recovering from injury and/or knocking off the rust as previously stated. Either way he has looked like his old good self the last few games and been doing great job. I don't like but don't mind the occasional penalty as long as it is not consistant or habitual which I think it is not w/ him.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Playing at an elite level, but getting penalized like a rookie. I will say he has improved, but considering he is still near the top of the league in false starts we have to hold him accountable for that. Tells you how rough his start of the season was.

However, at least he isn't getting those drive killing holding calls...

While we are passing around the love for O linemen - Giacomini has stopped the stupid penalties. And I thought Moffitt was pretty solid yesterday. I like the idea of an Okung-Carp-Unger-Moffitt-Giacomini line with McQuistan backing up.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information