Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
an elite LT? Did well against Jared Allen today, allowed no sacks, and previous to this game was on a streak of allowing no pressures for the 49ers and Lions game, may have continued that streak.

Discuss.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
He always has been when healthy.

We've seen him shut down Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware. So we shouldnt be surprised by this.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
JSeahawks wrote:
He always has been when healthy.

We've seen him shut down Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware. So we shouldnt be surprised by this.



Finally did well against the Smith's of SF too. Those guys are beasts.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:30 pm 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
Posts: 10235
Location: Vancouver, WA
drdiags wrote:
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.

Agree Doc. Let's hope he can take that last step to being top notch.....and also a wish that he remains healthy the rest of his career.

_________________
From the white sands
To the canyon lands
To the redwood stands
To the barren lands

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:28 am
Posts: 470
Location: Yakima Wa.
I foresee some bringing up his health, but really other than a few freak injuries he has been what you want out of a first round LT. He started this season off a little sluggish but once he knocked the rust off he has been great. I say he is as good of a LT as there is in the NFL right now.

_________________
When life slips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall.
http://www.yakimamavericks.org


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:32 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am
Posts: 1307
drdiags wrote:
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.


I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
nategreat wrote:
drdiags wrote:
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.


I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.



Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
* Handsome *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 2868
Location: Tri Cities, WA
Gosh damn it the false start wAs on Miller, they called the wrong #.

Okung just needs to stay healthy. His pass blocking is good, but his run blocking is ProBowl good

_________________
"it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm
Posts: 5301
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
hawksfan515 wrote:
nategreat wrote:
drdiags wrote:
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.


I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.



Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start.


He's been getting false starts all year, and you say some REALLY ridiculous stuff.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
Hawk Strap wrote:
Gosh damn it the false start wAs on Miller, they called the wrong #.

Okung just needs to stay healthy. His pass blocking is good, but his run blocking is ProBowl good


Based on the past few games, pass blocking is all-pro good. Just saying.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:40 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
hawksfan515 wrote:
nategreat wrote:
drdiags wrote:
Penalties are killing him though, so no matter how well he does with pass pro and run blocking, that will be a detriment to those claims.


I'll take one or two penalties a game if it comes with great blocking any day of the week. No question. Plus penalties are fixable- in theory.



Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start.



Not complaining, so please don't assume you know what I am trying to convey. I am just stating facts that would impact those that make the call of whether a player is elite or not. I don't care myself but some fans do. As well as those who make the call in the media. Everything has to be taken as a negative. How about just plain un-emotional statement of fact?

The more I read your response just makes it that much more of an ignorant post. Pick a fight with those looking for one. I am not the one, thanks!

EDIT: Changed all-pro to elite.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Last edited by drdiags on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10520
Location: Pasco, WA
Okung played great today. No complaints from me. His play the last few weeks has also been stellar.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
drdiags wrote:

Not complaining, so please don't assume you know what I am trying to convey. I am just stating facts that would impact those that make the call of whether a player is elite or not. I don't care myself but some fans do. As well as those who make the call in the media. Everything has to be taken as a negative. How about just plain un-emotional statement of fact?

The more I read your response just makes it that much more of an ignorant post. Pick a fight with those looking for one. I am not the one, thanks!

EDIT: Changed all-pro to elite.



My bad, didn't mean to come off as ignorant. And someone in another thread said that the false start was actually on Miller. Point is, I'm very satisfied with Okung's play as of late, and I don't mind the false starts cause I think he's already fixed those problems.

But yeah he'll have to prove he doesn't consistently draw penalties to be elite.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:54 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
hawksfan515 wrote:


My bad, didn't mean to come off as ignorant. And someone in another thread said that the false start was actually on Miller. Point is, I'm very satisfied with Okung's play as of late, and I don't mind the false starts cause I think he's already fixed those problems.

But yeah he'll have to prove he doesn't consistently draw penalties to be elite.


I am always pro-Seahawks. I don't care what the experts say. I am glad to have Okung as well as Carpenter, Wilson, Irvin and others. Because I want to believe my team is the best.

Okung when healthy has always shown me that he is a quality LT. You get no dispute from me. Even Walter Jones had a flag every now and then. Though that may be blasphemy. Sorry about the ignorant statement, it was more sarcastic probably due to you thinking I am a anti-Okung fan. Far from it. Anyway, my bad.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:00 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Posts: 5209
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
drdiags wrote:
hawksfan515 wrote:


My bad, didn't mean to come off as ignorant. And someone in another thread said that the false start was actually on Miller. Point is, I'm very satisfied with Okung's play as of late, and I don't mind the false starts cause I think he's already fixed those problems.

But yeah he'll have to prove he doesn't consistently draw penalties to be elite.


I am always pro-Seahawks. I don't care what the experts say. I am glad to have Okung as well as Carpenter, Wilson, Irvin and others. Because I want to believe my team is the best.

Okung when healthy has always shown me that he is a quality LT. You get no dispute from me. Even Walter Jones had a flag every now and then. Though that may be blasphemy. Sorry about the ignorant statement, it was more sarcastic probably due to you thinking I am a anti-Okung fan. Far from it. Anyway, my bad.


Classy as always. Not your bad Dr Diags, but gotta give you props for owning up to it on the internet :sarcasm_off:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8836
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Okung is a bust. Remember?

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 1700
Location: Ballard
I'm not gonna say elite...I'll say it in 4 years when he has an all-pro and a few pro-bowl nods....he's definitely living up to 1st rounder though as far a blocking goes. His penalties can be worked on. Keep in mind who we had before...-no one- will live up to that. He's doing pretty darn good when he's healthy.

-SH


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 605
Tech Worlds wrote:
Okung is a bust. Remember?


yeah he plays scared.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm 
* Handsome *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 2868
Location: Tri Cities, WA
SmokeyHawk wrote:
I'm not gonna say elite...I'll say it in 4 years when he has an all-pro and a few pro-bowl nods....he's definitely living up to 1st rounder though as far a blocking goes. His penalties can be worked on. Keep in mind who we had before...-no one- will live up to that. He's doing pretty darn good when he's healthy.

-SH


Yup

_________________
"it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 pm 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 am
Posts: 76
His start to the season wasn't very good, but he's definitely picked it up the last few weeks. I don't know that I'd call him an elite LT just yet, but he's definitely above average.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3181
"Yeah lol you guys complaining about 1 false start. I'm sorry, let's trade Okung straight up for J'Marcus Webb in Chicago. I heard he doesn't false start."


FYI he leads the league this year in penalties by an OLman. Giacommini is 2nd behind him, so the whole "1 penalty thing" is WAY off.

I personally think he was getting a lot of those false starts because he was playing injured, and he needed the jump, but if he could stay healthy, he'll be a good one.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am
Posts: 1307
Hawks46 wrote:

FYI he leads the league this year in penalties by an OLman. Giacommini is 2nd behind him, so the whole "1 penalty thing" is WAY off.

I personally think he was getting a lot of those false starts because he was playing injured, and he needed the jump, but if he could stay healthy, he'll be a good one.


Actually, I wouldn't say it's that far off. From what I can tell, before this week, he was TIED for first overall with two other offensive lineman, with 9 penalties (6 false starts, 3 holds) for a total of 60 yards. I can't remember if he was actually able to make it back for the season opener or not, but I'm thinking he's started every game this year. That averages out to about 1.1 penalties a game. I'll take it. It's not perfect, but nobody is. And like you said, I think a lot of it has had to do with playing injured and not quite being up to speed on things.

Here are the penalty statistics for the year so far. I am assuming this is through the first 8 weeks:

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 1989
He had most all of those penalties in the first few games. I noticed watching him that he was really having issues w/ his kick-slide in pass pro looking slow and awkward. He was wearing big ankle braces for good reason so that may have been the issure or still recovering from injury and/or knocking off the rust as previously stated. Either way he has looked like his old good self the last few games and been doing great job. I don't like but don't mind the occasional penalty as long as it is not consistant or habitual which I think it is not w/ him.

_________________
Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there gonna be any rumblings on .net of Okung being
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
Playing at an elite level, but getting penalized like a rookie. I will say he has improved, but considering he is still near the top of the league in false starts we have to hold him accountable for that. Tells you how rough his start of the season was.

However, at least he isn't getting those drive killing holding calls...

While we are passing around the love for O linemen - Giacomini has stopped the stupid penalties. And I thought Moffitt was pretty solid yesterday. I like the idea of an Okung-Carp-Unger-Moffitt-Giacomini line with McQuistan backing up.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atradees, BAJAHAWK, Dismas, Google [Bot], hawksfansinceday1, Lawke, Meeker, olyfan63, Polaris, TwilightError, UK_Seahawk, Yahoo [Bot] and 61 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.