Regarding Seahawks.net DONATE&HELP Update: $3000 total!!!

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Mark posted this in the Lounge but I think this word needs to get out to all our main forum posters regarding the financial health of this place.

Remember we accept no moneys from business because we all wanted to have a site without popups.

The Amazon connection has been a huge help but we need to do 2 things. We need to remind our friends to buy at Amazon using our address so the site gets a small bit for the business.

The other: Read this comment from Mark about contributions being down. Getting near the giving season, don't forget to put Seahawks.net on your Christmas list.

See where it says the moneys we used in the past was for ONE TENTH of the volume of the traffic we have now, so please help where you can. Its that or start finding other methods of financing this please we all love.

"RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, I use EC2 just to host my Mumble voice chat server, and an FTP server/generic website for hosting public things. Pennies per month. I've been thinking about checking out Google's offerings, though. EC2 needs some competition.

We're moving towards something similar. The current setup was architected 3 years ago when we were at 10% of the amount of traffic we are now, so it's time to put our big boy pants on.

Of course, the issue with that is that it's more expensive, and if you hadn't noticed, we're behind in donations this year, even with the Amazon clicks. Hopefully people get charitable during the holiday season because my wife will be the one going to the data center and unplugging us if I have to keep subsidizing the site."

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• .Net is definitely on my Christmas list. But I would like to know what the goal is for the site, and what percentage we're at to hitting it. An updated graphic in a sticky'd post would be great.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:.Net is definitely on my Christmas list. But I would like to know what the goal is for the site, and what percentage we're at to hitting it. An updated graphic in a sticky'd post would be great.

If you go to the board index it shows up down near the bottom just above the people who are online:

Ending on Mon Dec 31, 2012
    We have collected $1349.50 so far, out of our goal of $2600
    52% of our goal has been reached!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Only half way? That sucks. Personally, I think that message should be more prominent. Not necessarily "in your face" prominent, but perhaps near the top of every board.

If the only place it's located is at the bottom of the board index, then it's not getting much attention.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Thanks for the reminder. I've been working lately, so I threw a couple of cookies on the plate.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:Only half way? That sucks. Personally, I think that message should be more prominent. Not necessarily "in your face" prominent, but perhaps near the top of every board.

If the only place it's located is at the bottom of the board index, then it's not getting much attention.

Definitely make it more prominent.

I was unaware of the financial difficulties so hadn't donated for a while.

Saw this thread and kicked in a few bucks.

Do a little more to make sure people know and the problem may just go away.
    renofox
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I'll be moving soon so expect me to make a large series of Amazon purchases under the link. Any idea to the take % from Amazon?

Unfortunately I can't contribute much more - but as a former admin of several forums, webserver, game servers, etc I can sympathize. Thanks for always having IRC available :)
    Hey, Phil Rivers, you just got an Earl Necklace!
    duckypoo
    NET Starter

• I've loved you guys for nearly 10 years and never given money before (then again, I was a minor when I joined). Merry Christmas - wish I could afford to give more.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I've been coming here for years also...completely enjoyed the site and its posters (well, most of them.....lol) but I've never donated...shame on me!!! Sooooooo............
    I just got us a decent % closer to our goal.....I challenge 9 more to match to finish getting us there...do the math and match away....Goooo .NETTERS!!!! and Goooo Hawks!
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• Hey gang, I know I speak for the entire staff when I say a very heartfelt thank you for supporting Seahawks.net.

For those of you who don't know, none of the staff here get paid, we all do it cause we love this place and believe it or don't, we love all you folks too.

I have to admit that we probably love Andrea & Chris (seahawkgal & susitnagal), more than we do most of you others. lol

:th2thumbs:

We will get the contribution updated in the next few days. Things have been a bit hairy here the last few days as you all well know.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Since we're on the subject....I'd like to thank ALL the Admins......PAST, PRESENT...and FUTURE for all their hard work! This site allows us all to discuss and support our Hawks throughout the year, and not just during the season.
    I think we all know how much this place means to us, its the old "you don't know what you got til its gone" thing. Like recently...."refresh"..."refresh"...is it back up yet?...."refresh"...."refresh".....ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• Thanks Les for bringing this up, I'm not the kind to bring it up and ask (pride) so I appreciate it.

Thank you for all the donations tonight guys, that's great. I'll update the stats tomorrow and keep them updated throughout the week.

Oh, and for the last 3 years $2800 has been the goal (exact cost of hosting the site), but I think we need to get closer to $3500 since we'll most likely be migrating to an enterprise-class setup very soon.

Again, thank you. I love you guys & gals!

Mark
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• I have a poker tournament tomorrow. I'll give you some cash right after I finish in the money. And I'll totally finish in the money.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Hey Sac....I'm sure the site needs your support.....but your avatar needs some also!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• samwize77 wrote:Hey Sac....I'm sure the site needs your support.....but your avatar needs some also!

I think Sac's avatar should be more prominent.

Hey guys, question here. How can we set up our amazon account to always go through .Net? If someone could send me a PM on that I would appreicate it.

I will also send a little money your way. Money is a little tighter than last time, but I'll send some your way.

Thanks again for the great site. when it goes down I get lost....
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• If I wasn't as poor as a dirt clod I would donate but alas I can't afford to whip my own arse.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• sam1313 wrote:
    samwize77 wrote:Hey Sac....I'm sure the site needs your support.....but your avatar needs some also!

I think Sac's avatar should be more prominent.

Hey guys, question here. How can we set up our amazon account to always go through .Net? If someone could send me a PM on that I would appreicate it.

I will also send a little money your way. Money is a little tighter than last time, but I'll send some your way.

Thanks again for the great site. when it goes down I get lost....

Easiest way to have the Amazon link work for you without having to always come here and click it would be to click it and when the page opens, go ahead and bookmark that page. Then when you want to go to Amazon, just use that bookmark and it should always work. I'm sure they'll let us know if the link ever changes.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• The obligatory
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

• Anybody see the scout network update they just rolled out? It is a blessing that this place went independent.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

• duckypoo wrote:I'll be moving soon so expect me to make a large series of Amazon purchases under the link. Any idea to the take % from Amazon?

Unfortunately I can't contribute much more - but as a former admin of several forums, webserver, game servers, etc I can sympathize. Thanks for always having IRC available :)

The Amazon associates program pays out 0-8% depending on the category and how many referrals have been generated so far that month. The maximum commission is I think $25.00, but they changed their operating agreement this past June or July, and a few commission structures were tweaked.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• I have been coming to site for years as well, and since I found decent employment I will be putting in a donation this year as well.

Marked on my calendar. Again, thank you mods for keeping this site up an running.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

• Ok, where's the ticker. I donated and I'd like to see the totals so I know if I need to donate more. It'd be nice to have a little celebration once we know the total has been met! :229031_thewave:

Long Live .NET!!!

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• At present, I'm in the midst of finishing the new shop and am virtually penniless. Every red cent I make is paying for new vehicle lifts, shop and safety equipment, garage insurance payments, (et. al.). Trust me, If I had it, I would donate, post haste. In fact, I had to write a $10,700.00 check yesterday to cover my portion of the general contractor's fee.

Come this time next month, I will make a donation that should make significant progress toward the goal or if already met, should give you a head start on the next one. If a dude that owes me pays sooner than I expect, I'll make it happen.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I am not really sure about when a .net becomes a .com, but here is a suggestion that I've seen work on a site where I have just short of 20,000 posts.

The first thing I would do to this site is to make things like avatars/forum searches/thread posts only available to donating "team members." While I appreciate having these options here, and I do love that this site exists, I don't think that it would be unreasonable to ask those of us who use these features to cough up a little dough--say like maybe ~$25--for a basic membership. I would also have "restricted access" forums like a "First string board" or something.

As for ME, I do plan on donating to this site...as soon as I finally get my post 9/11 GI bill BAH stipend (which may be a loooooong time). Until then, the single income here at my place goes towards taking care of my kids.

Until then, I just want to say THANK YOU for this awesome site. I do pledge to donate some $$$ as soon as it becomes available, and would happily buy a team membership if the plan I suggested were actually implemented.
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad

• Just made a donation but as I think Volsung pointed out, the donation tally doesn't seem to update. Maybe once Rock accepts payment? Anyway, if it is possible to get the latest donation levels displayed that would be useful, in case one wants to donate again later if we are missing on making the goal?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I did see an auction idea floated before the board had to be restored. I also think a cool idea would be meeting at a local dive, reserve a few tables, and everyone kickdown $20 bucks. Good cause, good oppurtunity to meet cool people. Ill auction a free punch to my midsection, whatever it takes.

Ya know, I've been living relatively okay off severance, but not enough to donate. Well, not being able to donate has me debating working. That sounds oddly horrible, but, its truth.

Whatever it takes.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• drdiags wrote:Just made a donation but as I think Volsung pointed out, the donation tally doesn't seem to update. Maybe once Rock accepts payment? Anyway, if it is possible to get the latest donation levels displayed that would be useful, in case one wants to donate again later if we are missing on making the goal?

I donated a couple nights ago and it appears everything went through, but an update on the total would be nice so I know if I need to kick in some more.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• The update feature had stopped working and since panic has been the norm the last week Mark hasn't gotten it all updated yet.

My understanding is he is working on it. I think he might be gone for the weekend with his trailer. As I recall they had plans and reservations made weeks ago.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Hey everyone!

UPDATE: We've more than met our yearly goal now! You've unbelievably donated over $1,000 in the past week. Wow, and thank you to everyone!

And Les is exactly right; sorry for the delay in the amounts showing up, but I had posted most of them 2 nights ago, and then we lost the data and I have to start all over again. We're camping up a mountain near Mt Rainier so no internet (I'm sending this via phone when I found a small signal). I'll try to get it posted up and your status updated by Monday.

Again, thank you all. This will get us moving on the newer, bigger, and better hosting situation right away. Thank you again.
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• RockHawk wrote:Hey everyone!

UPDATE: We've more than met our yearly goal now! You've unbelievably donated over $1,000 in the past week. Wow, and thank you to everyone!

And Les is exactly right; sorry for the delay in the amounts showing up, but I had posted most of them 2 nights ago, and then we lost the data and I have to start all over again. We're camping up a mountain near Mt Rainier so no internet (I'm sending this via phone when I found a small signal). I'll try to get it posted up and your status updated by Monday.

Again, thank you all. This will get us moving on the newer, bigger, and better hosting situation right away. Thank you again.

Awesome! Thanks to everybody who donated!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Oh, and indeed the auto-update feature stopped working a year or so ago, and Neal has been a bit busy to fix it so I've had to manually enter each one in.

Total donated to date: $2,623.00

In 2013, we'll need to up the goal amount to cover the new expenses (probably around $3500) so keep that in mind when looking to help out next year.
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• RockHawk wrote:Oh, and indeed the auto-update feature stopped working a year or so ago, and Neal has been a bit busy to fix it so I've had to manually enter each one in.

Total donated to date: $2,623.00

In 2013, we'll need to up the goal amount to cover the new expenses (probably around $3500) so keep that in mind when looking to help out next year.

So we hit the goal for the year? Woohooo!!!

$3500 should be no sweat. I'm not scared.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs: :229031_thewave: :229031_victory: :fam: :happydrunks: :icon_jig: :retard_clap: :spaz: :thumbup: :180670:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• ThNk you everyone
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I. Love. This. Place.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• And that doesn't even cover several that are waiting for Mark's address to send money orders, checks etc. Glad we can get switched over now.

THANKS A LOT FROM US TO ALL OF YOU!

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• RockHawk wrote:Hey everyone!

I will still kick in some $$$ when it becomes possible! This is a great site--it's the least I can do. :D
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad

• I don't make much money but I have a job so I chipped in a few bucks.
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I know you don't like to ask for money, but I think that when the Amazon deal kicked in, many people might have assumed that would be enough and the idea of donating may have slipped their minds.

These reminders should pop up periodically, enough to nudge people to send some financial help, but not enough to be annoying, if you get my drift.

As evidenced recently, this is actually a pretty generous community overall and most are willing to give and keep the site running for those less fortunate as well as for themselves. Personally, I need to Gibbs-slap myself from time to time to remind myself what is really important, like Seahawks football and friends.

Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• schkoot wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:Hey everyone!

I will still kick in some $$$ when it becomes possible! This is a great site--it's the least I can do. :D

Speakin of which, I sent a pm over a week ago asking for the address and have yet to recieve a response. Still looking to donate :th2thumbs:
    HAWKNUTZ
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Hope yall got mine and will now have this in mind for the furture. Almost had to spend time with the family ewwww. GO HAWKS. Thank you too all the mods that make this work.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Been following .NET for ten years, even won a helmet in a contest many years ago on this site, and only just now contributed. This forum has been my #1 Seahawks fix for years, thanks for all you guys do!
    Austin Hawk
    NET Veteran

• To those of you waiting for an address, please contact me again as some idiot deleted a bunch of posts from my PM box.

Yes, I'm the only one that uses this computer. :roll:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• pehawk wrote:I did see an auction idea floated before the board had to be restored. I also think a cool idea would be meeting at a local dive, reserve a few tables, and everyone kickdown $20 bucks. Good cause, good oppurtunity to meet cool people. Ill auction a free punch to my midsection, whatever it takes.Ya know, I've been living relatively okay off severance, but not enough to donate. Well, not being able to donate has me debating working. That sounds oddly horrible, but, its truth.

Whatever it takes.

I will start the bidding at $100. That would be super fun.......for me. 8)
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

• Update: $220 more donated. We're up to almost $3000 including some checks I received (thanks Big Pumpkin!)

Again, please be patient about your donations showing up at the bottom and your titles updating. It's a long, manual process that I can't seem to force any of my underpaid army of flying monkeys to do for me.
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• XxxZagnutxxX wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I did see an auction idea floated before the board had to be restored. I also think a cool idea would be meeting at a local dive, reserve a few tables, and everyone kickdown $20 bucks. Good cause, good oppurtunity to meet cool people. Ill auction a free punch to my midsection, whatever it takes.Ya know, I've been living relatively okay off severance, but not enough to donate. Well, not being able to donate has me debating working. That sounds oddly horrible, but, its truth.

Whatever it takes.

Well I'm guessing pe is paying for the airline ticket from Anchorage???

Or I'll bet Bob would let you hitchhike in his luggage when he comes down.

:D
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Also nice to know that we are going to have some cushion to move to a better server.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Contribution sent, thanks again for such a great site you guys. :th2thumbs:

Being stuck in Memphis, I visit this site daily not only for Seahawks stuff but also because it's a little bit of home.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• pehawk wrote:I did see an auction idea floated before the board had to be restored. I also think a cool idea would be meeting at a local dive, reserve a few tables, and everyone kickdown $20 bucks. Good cause, good oppurtunity to meet cool people. Ill auction a free punch to my midsection, whatever it takes.

Ya know, I've been living relatively okay off severance, but not enough to donate. Well, not being able to donate has me debating working. That sounds oddly horrible, but, its truth.

Whatever it takes.

I don't even know him, but I will pay $20 to punch pehawk in the midsection! :)
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• XxxZagnutxxX wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I did see an auction idea floated before the board had to be restored. I also think a cool idea would be meeting at a local dive, reserve a few tables, and everyone kickdown $20 bucks. Good cause, good oppurtunity to meet cool people. Ill auction a free punch to my midsection, whatever it takes.Ya know, I've been living relatively okay off severance, but not enough to donate. Well, not being able to donate has me debating working. That sounds oddly horrible, but, its truth.

Whatever it takes.

Damn, I was outbid before I even cast my bid. Well done Zagnut. I'll tell you what, I will pay my $20 just to watch you punch Pehawk in the midsection! :lol:
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information