Post Texans game: Biggest draft needs?

kearly

Reaction score
I know Christine Michael has barely played, but I think he's the perfect example of what a playoff team should do come draft time. Just get a guy you think can be a star, and worry about the how and when later. Because if you really think you can fix problems with a late 20s pick, I'd tell you to look at the history of the draft. It's not pretty. IIRC, the best late 1st pick Seattle's ever made was Pete Kendall back in the 90s. And he was picked 21st, which isn't even that late. Kendall was pretty much a decent NFL player, nothing special. Guys like Lo-Jack and Jennings, TR caught hell for those picks. Now people bitch about Carpenter. But picks like those are pretty standard for that kind of draft slot.

Oh, and one of the OL Seattle wanted over Carpenter but didn't reach us? He's already out of the NFL.

If Seattle deals the #1 again for a veteran that can really help us, I'm all for it. Late 1sts might be the most overvalued currency in the NFL, but you can use that to your advantage if you trade the pick.

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":lwfis67j said:
I know Christine Michael has barely played, but I think he's the perfect example of what a playoff team should do come draft time. Just get a guy you think can be a star, and worry about the how and when later. Because if you really think you can fix problems with a late 20s pick, I'd tell you to look at the history of the draft. It's not pretty. IIRC, the best late 1st pick Seattle's ever made was Pete Kendall back in the 90s. And he was picked 21st, which isn't even that late. Kendall was pretty much a decent NFL player, nothing special. Guys like Lo-Jack and Jennings, TR caught hell for those picks. Now people bitch about Carpenter. But picks like those are pretty standard for that kind of draft slot.

Oh, and one of the OL Seattle wanted over Carpenter but didn't reach us? He's already out of the NFL.

If Seattle deals the #1 again for a veteran that can really help us, I'm all for it. Late 1sts might be the most overvalued currency in the NFL, but you can use that to your advantage if you trade the pick.

I'll agree that you are less likely to find a great players picking in the late 1st round. The argument of fixing problems with a late 20's pick can also be made for rounds 2-7 as well, and IMO is a defeatist attitude towards the draft. Your argument makes it sound as though the only way to fix problems or fill holes on a roster is by picking in the top-15 every year.

I don't see us trading our 1st round pick for a player on another team, because that player will probably have a large contract which will then prevent us from re-signing some of our own young core players.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cover-2":220spoqs said:
Who are your 5 most intriguing prospects for the Seahawks in the late 1st round? Or if you want to address that question or write an article about that topic on your blog, then just provide a link.

It's still a little early for me to project late first round grades, but I'll list some of the guys I like.

Dominique Easley was right up there until his second ACL injury. Apart from that James Hurst (T, UNC), Vic Beasley (DE, Clemson), Brandon Coleman (WR, Rutgers -- purely for upside and potential), Odell Beckham (WR, LSU), Chris Whaley (DT, Texas), Ed Reynolds (S, Stanford), Seah Crichton (DE, Oregon State), Jonotthan Harrison (C, Florida). I want to see a bit more of Cameron Erving (T, Florida State).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd predict Seattle will try hard to deal the pick. For the reasons (list of options) that Rob listed. We will likely try to recoup a third rounder we are missing. I do see several attractive WR options in the 30-60 pick range. At this rate, we could move back 15 spots or so and still come out with a WR we like -- or even have targetted.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
I don't like it when JS picks OL. Carpenter is kinda meh below average. Moffitt didn't pan out.

IMO JS is pretty good at drafting D. So I'd say Corner/DT/DE, in rounds 2-6 and draft a WR in 1st pick.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cover-2":beryu4k2 said:
Who are your 5 most intriguing prospects for the Seahawks in the late 1st round?

Assuming we stay with the pick which I fully expect us to move back from

1. Ed Reynolds S

Pete tinkered with a 3 safety lineup. I have to think we are going to add some Earl insurance at some point. He is one of two players on the team we cannot lose.

2. ASJ TE

He is as close to Zach Miller is in the draft. Enough with the Evan Moore/joker washouts. Get a guy that can actually play and not just run fast in shorts.

3. Allen Robinson WR

He is a player who runs very similar to Harvin in the respect that he looks like a running back with the ball in his hands. He's similarly built athletically but has greater size and physicality. Very good ball skills. A solid prospect to succeed Rice.

4. Brandon Coleman WR

Size yeah. Bad ball skills and I think that actually matters to us.

5. DaQuan Jones DT

Good size. Great athleticism this year. Will need to answer motivation questions as he was an underwhelming player before his senior year. Could also substitute McCullers here. World Theory guy who if he improves, gives a massive presence in the middle. Clearly a successor for Mebane.

cover-2

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3vsze58s said:
cover-2":3vsze58s said:
Who are your 5 most intriguing prospects for the Seahawks in the late 1st round? Or if you want to address that question or write an article about that topic on your blog, then just provide a link.

It's still a little early for me to project late first round grades, but I'll list some of the guys I like.

Dominique Easley was right up there until his second ACL injury. Apart from that James Hurst (T, UNC), Vic Beasley (DE, Clemson), Brandon Coleman (WR, Rutgers -- purely for upside and potential), Odell Beckham (WR, LSU), Chris Whaley (DT, Texas), Ed Reynolds (S, Stanford), Seah Crichton (DE, Oregon State), Jonotthan Harrison (C, Florida). I want to see a bit more of Cameron Erving (T, Florida State).

There are a couple of players on your list that I haven't heard of and will definatly take a look at. It's interesting that both you and Attyla the Hawk mentioned Stanford (S) Ed Reynolds, I'll take a look at him today vs Washington. Talking of the safety position, Alabama (FS) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is one player who up until a week or so ago I didn't think would be available towards the bottom of the 1st round. Clinton-Dix was suspended for an off-the field incident which could vary well hurt his draft stock just enough to have him slide down in the 1st round. He has great range and is a good open field tackler, I could see Coach Carroll using him as the "big nickel" DB or possibly as a LB/spy when we play against mobile QB's.

Attyla the Hawk":3vsze58s said:
1. Ed Reynolds S

Pete tinkered with a 3 safety lineup. I have to think we are going to add some Earl insurance at some point. He is one of two players on the team we cannot lose.

2. ASJ TE

He is as close to Zach Miller is in the draft. Enough with the Evan Moore/joker washouts. Get a guy that can actually play and not just run fast in shorts.

3. Allen Robinson WR

He is a player who runs very similar to Harvin in the respect that he looks like a running back with the ball in his hands. He's similarly built athletically but has greater size and physicality. Very good ball skills. A solid prospect to succeed Rice.

4. Brandon Coleman WR

Size yeah. Bad ball skills and I think that actually matters to us.

5. DaQuan Jones DT

Good size. Great athleticism this year. Will need to answer motivation questions as he was an underwhelming player before his senior year. Could also substitute McCullers here. World Theory guy who if he improves, gives a massive presence in the middle. Clearly a successor for Mebane.

I just took a quick look at one of Allen Robinson's games and I didn't realize he was 6-3. For some reason I thought he was a shorter than 6-0 which is why I kind of wrote him off before today. I like his combination of size, speed, and run after the catch. Robinson is kind of like a poor-man's Cordarrelle Patterson (Vikings WR).

I haven't seen DaQuan Jones, but I recorded Penn St's game today so I'll check him out.

I would substitute McCullers for Washington (DT) Danny Shelton. I scouted Shelton last week and he was a man among boys vs the run. He was ragdolling offensive lineman last week vs the run, he was able to stack and shed lineman like no other DT I have seen this year. Shelton is kind of similar to Mebane, at least in body type, they both have that natural leverage (both are 6-1 325 lbs). Shelton is only junior, at this point I don't think he is a 1st round prospect, but he could be a solid selection for us in the 2nd round.

Dannyshelton display image
1056436.jpg

Latest posts