This is why Peyton Manning is not even close to the best QB

dusktreader

Reaction score
This was the single most pathetic football play I think I've ever seen:
http://gfycat.com/HeartfeltSoreCoypu

That's just disgusting. He doesn't do *anything* in that play to try to make a positive. The thing about this is, it shows how bad a player he is through adversity. When things don't go right, he just curls up into a fetal position, and sometimes he does that literally.

Can you imagine Joe Montana doing that? How about John Elway? :pukeface:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I disagree. It was the smart play given the situation. Inside the red zone during a tied, low scoring (to that point) game. First priority is to protect the ball.

Too many QBs will try to force something in that situation and lose possession.

After a scoreless first quarter, protect the ball and get points on the board.

Can't believe I'm defending PM

-bsd

Chawks1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something....1st and goal from the 1, bad snap or mishandled, he falls on it to setup 2nd and goal from the 5. Looks like a smart play. Don't try and force anything stupid like picking it up and running it...that's how you make things worse. I believe he scored a TD the very next play too. Good play in my opinion.

kearly

Reaction score
I know it's beside the point, but Denver scored a TD on that goal line series.

The fetal position decision is appropriate for a guy with a fetus neck.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Peyton Manning will never be the best anything to me except "regular season QB". He's 1-2 in Super Bowls and the only one he won he had 1 TD and 2 picks. He's 11-12 all-time in the postseason. To the eye test, he has very much struggled when it mattered the most.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
There are times to be a hero and there are times to live another day. When you're near forty and there's plenty of time left... I think it's okay to just fall on the ball...

If sarcasm... I missed it...

If you want a QB that tries very hard to be a hero on every play, look at Cousins... And how's that working out for him?

Msfann

Reaction score
I asked this in the thread during the game but I don't think I've ever seen a player fall on a ball and the whistles blow before he's even touched. That just doesn't seem right to me, I'm not suggesting players blast him but they don't even have to touch him to end the play?

Some did touch him after the whistle blew.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I believe that it is the equivalent of the QB taking a knee in the victory formation. When the QB has made a motion to clearly give himself up after taking the snap, the play is blown dead.

It is in a murky area in the rules as the letter of the law says the ball is dead

when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line of scrimmage;

In this case the defenders did the smart thing and touched him despite the fact that he had "taken a knee." It is Peyton after all and I am sure that if the defenders had not touched him, the refs would have let him get up and run a play.

- bsd

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Yes, Peyton Manning is a puss who get's flustered and shuts down when things don't go exactly as he has planned. However, I don't agree with that gif being proof of that. While it looked funny, it was a smart play.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kearly":gsmo4b5n said:
I know it's beside the point, but Denver scored a TD on that goal line series.

The fetal position decision is appropriate for a guy with a fetus neck.

I hope the OP is sarcastic. Let's assume it isn't.

They didn't turn the ball over because Manning covered it and then they still scored a TD.

Manning isn't Wilson. He can't catch bad snaps. The idea that you couldn't go through all the snaps in Montana and Elway's careers and find a lot of derp is short sighted.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3hqpkp6z said:
Peyton Manning will never be the best anything to me except "regular season QB". He's 1-2 in Super Bowls and the only one he won he had 1 TD and 2 picks. He's 11-12 all-time in the postseason. To the eye test, he has very much struggled when it mattered the most.

This sums it up - Peyton is a gelding not a stallion.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I don't see what is so wrong with what he did. Smart players know their weaknesses. For Payton, improvisation and scrambling is not a strength.

Latest posts