Irsay suspended six games, fined $500k

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/506871556912336896[/tweet]

Suspended = just can't attend, I guess?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Yeah, he's not allowed at practices or games. I think he has to stay away from the facility and no contact with staff.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
WAY too soft, but no surprise considering he's Rog's boss. "Hold the owners to a higher standard:" my ass.

IMO it should've been at LEAST 12 games and one mil.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2eec9zpl said:
WAY too soft, but no surprise considering he's Rog's boss. "Hold the owners to a higher standard:" my ass.

Really? Ray Rice knocks his wife unconscious and gets two games, but six games for something far less worse from Irsay isn't holding owners to a higher standard?

How do you figure? Also:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/506873423088594944[/tweet]

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/p ... 4335320876

Adam Schefter's Facebook":2eec9zpl said:
Full release in Jim Irsay suspension:
Following his plea of guilty to one misdemeanor count of driving while impaired, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has been suspended for the team’s first six regular-season games and fined $500,000 for violating the league’s Personal Conduct Policy, the NFL announced today. Mr. Irsay will be eligible to return following the Colts’ game against the Houston Texans on October 9.
Terms of the suspension imposed by Commissioner Roger Goodell include the following:
- During the suspension, which takes effect at 5 p.m. ET tomorrow, Mr. Irsay may not be present at the club’s facility, may not attend any practices or games, may not represent the club at league or league committee meetings or at any other team or league event, and may not conduct media interviews or engage in social media regarding any team or league matters.
- In addition, Mr. Irsay is fined $500,000, the maximum permitted under league rules.
- Mr. Irsay will be subject to ongoing treatment, counseling, and testing as determined by medical professionals and the Indiana court.
Commissioner Goodell noted that no draft choice forfeiture or other competitive sanction will be assessed because the conduct did not have competitive consequences.
In a letter to Mr. Irsay, Commissioner Goodell said, “I have stated on numerous occasions that owners, management personnel and coaches must be held to a higher standard than players. We discussed this during our meeting and you expressed your support for that view, volunteering that owners should be held to the highest standard.”

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1d165zar said:

Incorrect.

A first time dui for a player is 0 game suspension and a 50k fine.

I'd say they came down plenty hard one him.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Nice. Also, $500k is the maximum allowed fine for this it's being reported, though obviously it's peanuts to an owner.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Roland: Rog stated over a year ago that league personnel, including owners would be held to a higher standard. As far as Rice is concerned, I have said before and I will say again that his suspension was also way too short. 6 games minimum for him would've been more appropo and I would've been fine with even more. Following that logic, my call for 12 for Irsay is not unreasonable.

I am also of the opinion that the Rice suspension was lighter than it should've been in order to set up Irsay's easier 'sentence'. I am not alone in that gut feeling.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":j3lwy3rc said:
hawksfansinceday1":j3lwy3rc said:

Incorrect.

A first time dui for a player is 0 game suspension and a 50k fine.

I'd say they came down plenty hard one him.
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. If it was weed you'd want him suspended for a year. Furthermore, using the word "incorrect" makes it seem like your OPINION is valid and mine is not. That would be incorrect.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ffvbwiy said:
Nice. Also, $500k is the maximum allowed fine for this it's being reported, though obviously it's peanuts to an owner.

Still sends a message that Goodell is serious even when it comes to the owners. I may not always agree with him, but he at least get's some respect for this outcome from me.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Pretty harsh penalty. Good for the league to send a message

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He's subject to drug testing now, too. Wow. I really don't see how Hawksfansinceday1 can be disappointed with it at this point from any reasonable perspective.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Still waiting for the day a first time dui conviction nets a player 6 game ban and 500k in fines.

Still waiting.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3mfexmms said:
RolandDeschain":3mfexmms said:

Still sends a message that Goodell is serious even when it comes to the owners. I may not always agree with him, but he at least get's some respect for this outcome from me.

Agreed.

A

Anonymous

It had to be something other than drinking and driving to warrant the drug testing.

What drugs did they find?

nepahawk

Reaction score
When a player is suspended, he losses his gameday pay, in addition to whatever fine.

Since Irsay was suspended for six games, he should lose his income for those 6 games.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2a6suen0 said:
I don't care who you are, 500k is a hella fine. Damn.. that is some serious scratch.
No way, that crap is relative. Fining a starving African child $20 USD is more of a penalty.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
He was there within 15 minutes, 1 million cash in hand.