Alex Boone on the trading block

Abach

Reaction score
Would anyone on the board be opposed to trading for boone? As we've all noticed, our offensive line looks as though it will be the bottleneck of the offense again. SF is asking for a mid round pick. Thoughts?

themunn

Reaction score
Because he's holding out for more money.

We might not see it, but Sweezy is damn good - it was telling when Winston came in and said "those guys (unger and sweezy) are as good as it gets". RG is about the one solidly consistent spot on our line, we shouldn't overpay for what would be the slightest of upgrades

bigwrm

Reaction score
Would love to have Boone--very versatile player and he would immediately fix our problems at RT. But....there's no way in hell SF trades him to us.

My guess is that they eventually get a deal done. I know Baalke loves his draft picks and they're fairly deep on the offensive line, but they'd be silly to get rid of him. They have cap space and he still has two years left on his current deal so it probably wouldn't take a massive raise. Maybe they're trying to save all their money for Crabtree or something, but Boone is worth it, especially over Jonathan Martin.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uh...as stated above....why on earth would the Niners trade him to Seattle?

That would be the LAST team they'd trade him to.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":gzbrc3h9 said:
Uh...as stated above....why on earth would the Niners trade him to Seattle?

That would be the LAST team they'd trade him to.
The Niners and Hawks may not ever make a trade again. Ever.

Neither side would be willing to risk being viewed as the loser in a trade. They even play around with waiver guys like there is a mutual practice squad. Heck, even FA stuff doesn't take place.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Abach":28ngc2hc said:
Would anyone on the board be opposed to trading for boone? As we've all noticed, our offensive line looks as though it will be the bottleneck of the offense again. SF is asking for a mid round pick. Thoughts?
Do you have a link on this? Mid round? I have heard a few teams have called the 49ers to see if they would be willing but saying the team is shopping him and then to have a mid-round grade on the trade is totally going a bit further than the published reports I have seen. Like others have already said they will never trade with us but that would be a win/win if they did...strengthen our line/weaken their line.

But please please please find that link for us.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Is this dude seriously skipping camp just to skip camp? Now big Walt used to do that all the time, but that was Walt. This is Alex Boone we are talking about here.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2xj0the9 said:
Is this dude seriously skipping camp just to skip camp? Now big Walt used to do that all the time, but that was Walt. This is Alex Boone we are talking about here.

Nah...he is making peanuts compared to what he should be making. In fact, my guess is that if he had reported he'd be getting his money now...just not as much as he wants. The Niners tho don't want to set a precedent by rewarding a player who's holding out.

I think the problem here is that he's a natural Tackle. He moved to guard in order to get their best 5 lineman on the field at the same time, but he's really a tackle.

The salaries of a guard and a tackle are quite different. My guess is that he and his agent are trying to get Pro Bowl Tackle money.

If he's traded, the Niners might get a decent pick for him and his new team will likely give him bigger $$$ than the Niners will ever offer him AND he'd probably be a LT.

...and that's why there is an impasse.