Average Penalties per Game since 1991

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm a proponent of changing the offensive holding call to a 5 yard penalty. I wonder if the NFL has a forum for fans to submit suggestions for owner meeting topics? Offensive holding is such a subjective call and can really screw over an offense by putting them in 3rd and 20 situations.

"In an average NFL football game, the officials will call around 12-13 total penalties per game. During the 2013 NFL season, the average game say 12.25 penalties called. Since the 1991 NFL season, each year has seen more offensive penalties being called than defensive penalties. Typically, there is 2-3 more offensive penalties called per game than defensive penalties."

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/ ... erage.aspx

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
ivotuk":2w6wkj3p said:
I'm a proponent of changing the offensive holding call to a 5 yard penalty. I wonder if the NFL has a forum for fans to submit suggestions for owner meeting topics? Offensive holding is such a subjective call and can really screw over an offense by putting them in 3rd and 20 situations.

"In an average NFL football game, the officials will call around 12-13 total penalties per game. During the 2013 NFL season, the average game say 12.25 penalties called. Since the 1991 NFL season, each year has seen more offensive penalties being called than defensive penalties. Typically, there is 2-3 more offensive penalties called per game than defensive penalties."

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/ ... erage.aspx

Excellent topic; thanks for sharing. Sadly, I don't see the NFL allowing its loyal fans a seat at the table anytime soon. However, putting something like this in the twitter feed of, say, Rich Eisen may get the ball rolling.

Not to derail the subject of holding calls, yet in the vein of NFL rule suggestions, I like the idea of unlimited* challenges.

2 "free" challenges per game (not necessarily 1 per half). Win both, receive an extra free challenge, just like it is now. My wrinkle: you may continue to challenge as many times as you like, at the risk of incurring a 15 yard penalty for each challenge lost thereafter. Blatant abuse to be reviewed by the league, resulting in penalizing coaches with significant fines for delay of game. This, in conjunction with the yardage loss, should minimize fear of abuse. Oh, and we'll keep the rule about reviews within the two-minute warning of each half being exclusively called by the league in an effort to keep teams from using it as an extra timeout.

Seems a bit obvious to me, but I am sure someone here will gladly blow an enormous hole in my suggestion with thoughts that I hadn't considered.