SI: Arizona Cardinals the best-coached team in the NFL

drdiags

Reaction score
Arians and company did a good job, turning the club around from the embarrassment it was the year prior under Whisenhunt late in the season. It is just an opinion piece from the author and who knows if they were the best-coached or not?

I am sure a few clubs can make the claim but let the author give his props to the Cardinals. The title got you to read the article or at least react to it. Mission accomplished. Sports debate sparked.

rideaducati

Reaction score
What a difference a serviceable QB makes huh? Wait til they land a franchise QB, the author's head will explode.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
They were Damn well coached. He got a lot out of the talent on that team.

They beat us at home. That speaks volumes.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":33pvsd6l said:
Sure, he coached them, but I seemed to remember a 2-14 Chiefs team that had a new coach too.
But that Chiefs team played in the AFC with an soft schedule. The Cards played in the NFC West. They're much more impressive. They'd have rolled over KC.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":ponj9g1w said:
loafoftatupu":ponj9g1w said:
Sure, he coached them, but I seemed to remember a 2-14 Chiefs team that had a new coach too.
But that Chiefs team played in the AFC with an soft schedule. The Cards played in the NFC West. They're much more impressive. They'd have rolled over KC.

We will soon find out. I don't deny that the coaching job is good, I just think that the Chiefs had the biggest improvement as a result of coaching.

Yes, the Cards won straight up in Seattle, but was that about coaching? Their DLine made the plays they had to and on a prayer Floyd made what I consider to be one of the most impressive catches of the season. Then just when the Hawks crack the armor of the AZ defense, a ball bounces off the ground and becomes an INT. Coaching? I suppose calling that pass play after all those picks was coaching.

I don't see that series of events unfolding again. How many times do the Hawks get 5 picks and lose? That single win made them respectable, but if I was betting on that game I would bet the Hawks win 10 out of 10 times.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1pj5fsuy said:
SalishHawkFan":1pj5fsuy said:
loafoftatupu":1pj5fsuy said:

We will soon find out. I don't deny that the coaching job is good, I just think that the Chiefs had the biggest improvement as a result of coaching.

Yes, the Cards won straight up in Seattle, but was that about coaching? Their DLine made the plays they had to and on a prayer Floyd made what I consider to be one of the most impressive catches of the season. Then just when the Hawks crack the armor of the AZ defense, a ball bounces off the ground and becomes an INT. Coaching? I suppose calling that pass play after all those picks was coaching.

I don't see that series of events unfolding again. How many times do the Hawks get 5 picks and lose? That single win made them respectable, but if I was betting on that game I would bet the Hawks win 10 out of 10 times.
That game was The Perfect Storm of ineptitude from Seattle on a level likely never to be duplicated in our lifetimes. I don't count it as something Arizona or Seattle is capable of achieving as a baseline. Arizona's baseline is more like week 17 getting beaten by San Francisco when it counted just like always.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The coaching and talent in the NFC West is astounding. Only one of their coaches has won a Super Bowl, but all four could credibly be considered amongst the Top 10 coaches in the NFL.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1ik4x9yu said:
The coaching and talent in the NFC West is astounding. Only one of their coaches has won a Super Bowl, but all four could credibly be considered amongst the Top 10 coaches in the NFL.

I can roll with that. I do have to admit though, I have my doubts about Fisher. The guy has coached a lot of crap teams to 500, but those successful seasons seem to elude him.

Arians is exactly what the Cards needed in that he doesn't show a shred of doubt in his team and stays true to his ways. If the Cards regress at all though we will see how he handles that. Harbafreak is a psych patient, but he is a fantastic coach.

I used to love watching him play as a Colt. Once he got out of the grasp of Ditka he showed that he could be a solid passer. I will never forget "The Audible"..... Ditka unleashing on Harbs on the sidelines. Great stuff

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fisher had the Oilers/Titans just a yard short of winning a Super Bowl against the Rams..He was a good coach back then but I don't think his style fits the times..

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Haven't you heard? Apparently the best coaches in the game are the ones that show the most improvement from one season to the next in the W-L columns during the regular season, but never amount to anything in the post-season (if they even make it).

Building a team from scratch, slowly over a few years into a SB winning team with a huge potential for a dynasty? Nah...those coaches aren't as good.

drdiags

Reaction score
Blaming the Cards loss on the Seahawks ineptitude sounds the same as the Broncos fans saying Seattle didn't beat them, they beat themselves. I would say that both sides had some issues they needed to resolve, but the Cardinals won at the CLink and if not for some great defensive efforts, win with a little less dramatics.

The Seahawks offense was out-coached and dominated just like the Rams game in St Louis.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ng4odni said:
drdiags":1ng4odni said:
Blaming the Cards loss on the Seahawks ineptitude sounds the same as the Broncos fans saying Seattle didn't beat them, they beat themselves. I would say that both sides had some issues they needed to resolve, but the Cardinals won at the CLink and if not for some great defensive efforts, win with a little less dramatics.

The Seahawks offense was out-coached and dominated just like the Rams game in St Louis.
I respectfully disagree name how many teams that lose a game after getting 4 interceptions, some in easy scoring position? And it still took Arizona to make a stellar catch at the end only allowed because of our earlier ineptitude.

St. Louis was all about the fact that arguably they have the best front 7 in the NFL combined with our weak and injured OL and using the wrong scheme defensively because they got cute rather than being straight out coached.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sure, there was some level of coaching involved, but "outcoached"? I don't agree with that at all. It seems to me that if the Hawks were outcoached that there would have been a bunch of easy plays made where the Cards were wide open or where they made a pick 6 or 2.

They outplayed the Hawks on both sides of the ball from an effort standpoint.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":57ulbfbw said:
Sure, there was some level of coaching involved, but "outcoached"? I don't agree with that at all. It seems to me that if the Hawks were outcoached that there would have been a bunch of easy plays made where the Cards were wide open or where they made a pick 6 or 2.

They outplayed the Hawks on both sides of the ball from an effort standpoint.
This I can agree with.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Cards are a tough team, I am not trying to diminish their success or anything like that, I just don't think that they are the best coached team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No disagreement given I already said they would have beaten Denver on February 2nd also. I seriously wonder if Peyton completes this season given the teams Denver has to face this time.

Latest posts