Rams owner buys 60 acres of land near Hollywood Park

rjdriver

Reaction score
It would make the NFC West truly that. I have fond memories of the LA Rams and wouldn't mind seeing them back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that they've done this. It gives them tons of leverage and even if the move never happens, they aren't going to lose any money on that land, so it's a good investment. It's truly a win/win for the Rams ownership to make this move. I would have been more surprised had they not done it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Considering that the Rams were originally from LA....it makes sense. That's the way it should be.

dcbshowstopper

Reaction score
The Rams are originally from Cleveland, actually. Nothing more than a leverage move by ownership. They will likely remain in St. Louis.

The Radish

Reaction score
Is 60 acres enough to build a stadium + parking?

:les:

I'm now remembering a 40 acre section my family farmed in Chewelah and looking at that I'm thinkin that's pretty tight.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Radish":3bbiuxa2 said:

I'm now remembering a 40 acre section my family farmed in Chewelah and looking at that I'm thinkin that's pretty tight.

Think 3 dimentional, you can have underground and parking towers, also there is minimal parking at most stadiums and they use the cities parking garages much of the time, also mass transit. You also have to think thats just one purchase, Hansen bought property over the course of time in Sodo.

Also Goodell said it takes 24 owners to approve a move, I know the Raiders did what they wanted and Al Davis sued to allow it. Goodell also poo pooed it saying it could be for retail and real estate business since he has heard nothing about a petition to move.

OrFan

Reaction score
The Radish":1ic8yadn said:

Plus they would need a training facility. Not enough at all for both of those.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Something tells me it would be easy to find 24 owners to OK having football back in the second largest US market. Money Talks. Especially with Roger.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah I would suspect he would have no issues now that most of the cities that used it as a target have now got their stadiums approved so the L.A. threat is now on the back burner with the exception of St Louis itself. Which just happens to be the team that came from there and is out of sorts with the rest of the division as far as location. Additionally I am not sure about the other Stadium planners and where they own land, or possibly if a partnership with one of them could be in the works.

Subzero717

Reaction score
OrFan":3d1l9l02 said:
The Radish":3d1l9l02 said:

Plus they would need a training facility. Not enough at all for both of those.

How mant teams have a training facility at their stadium? How many acres of parking does CLink have. Honestly in LA they are way better with less tailgating. Granted there isn't a downtown atmosphere the way there is in other psrts at that site but the forum is close and there are lots around.

All that said I do think this is a leverage move. If they call his bluff he moves the team. The economics of building tje stadium would have to.be worked out. Not sure he wants to go in alone on that.

The Radish

Reaction score
Even tho LA is one of the largest markets they have been very ho hum about pro football while being in love with the college game.

I don't think the NFL is that crazy about expanding back to there. If it was good for more pro football you don't think someone would have been there? Look at Oakland, they went there for a few years but found they got more crowds in Oakland.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I thought they went back to Oakland cuz they couldn't get the stadium they wanted? I saw a documentary about their time in LA, it was produced by Ice Cube, really well done.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rams fans would not adopt the Raiders, they always felt Al was leverageing the area to get a deal in Oakland which was the truth, also the Raiders wanted to have a stadium renovation in L.A. which was turned down if I remember as well. So in essence the Rams turned tail and went to St Louis and the Raiders leveraged the LA market to get a Oakland deal.

No wonder they can't embrace the NFL.

Jville

Reaction score
The owner of the Rams is applying pressure on local taxpayers for public funding of stadium improvements with the blessing of the commissioner. We have seen these strong arm tactics before.

candyman4881

Reaction score
Jville":28swexm8 said:
The owner of the Rams is applying pressure on local taxpayers for public funding of stadium improvements with the blessing of the commissioner. We have seen these strong arm tactics before.

This is what a lot of us in St Louis believe. Hopefully it is just a negotiating tactic as we would hate to lose our football team in LA, especially to a market that did not support them the first time around (and that was during playoff years in the 1980s). I realize that St Louis has been near the bottom of attendance for the last 5 years, however with the lease issue hanging around and the team is just now being competitive (havent had a winning season since 2003 and went through the worst 5 year stretch of any team in NFL history), I would say the team has been well supported.

There is also the rumor that he bought the land for a soccer stadium. Either way, we should know more in the coming year.